ForumsGamesGladiator style RPG

14 13430
Lifemaster
Lifemaster
186 posts
Shepherd

So to put this in context, I'm a big fan of RPG games, especially online ones. I'm also a big fan of the spartacus series and anything that relates to gladiators as I find it both fascinating and exhilarating. Naturally, as a gamer, I've been curious for some time as to whether there was a gladiator rpg out there which was actually well made and fun to play...and I haven't seen ANYTHING. Am I missing the games? Or do they not exist? Why not? Wouldn't a gladiator rpg not be hard to create? The more you fight the better you get, it's highly based on skill and training, I'm sure gear could play a small part, weapon choices, fighting style, balancing issues like spear has advantage over sword, sword has advantage over daggers, daggers have advantage over spear (throw them I suppose?)

I don't know I'm just throwing ideas out, but do tell if you've played a gladiator style rpg and you thought it was fun enough that I should seek it out and try it.

Thanks
-LM

• 14 Replies
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

balancing issues like spear has advantage over sword, sword has advantage over daggers, daggers have advantage over spear (throw them I suppose?)

well if it were a gladiator game, balancing would be thrown out the window.

also i remember one from a long time ago for the old xbox, but i forgot the name
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I remember there is a browser based one somewhere baried in the archives of the internet, I used to play it alot and it was quite fun, but if your looking for a first person this is not that.

lightcrux
lightcrux
622 posts
Peasant

I'm not sure what do you mean when you say "Gladiator-style" but I assume you mean a medieval setting with great combat.

Well, you can always try out the Elder Scrolls series - here's a gameplay video of Skyrim (the combat isn't great but I suppose you already know that).

Perhaps something more recent, Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning might fit your bill.

Demon Souls and Dark Souls also seem to fit your description.

There is one other game but it's coming out for the next-gen consoles - Ryse from Crytek.

R3LOAD
R3LOAD
532 posts
Peasant

By "Gladiator style", he means a game where you play a gladiator. You know, fighting in the Colosseum, stuff like that, or something similar.

Lifemaster
Lifemaster
186 posts
Shepherd

Yes, as R3LOAD said, I mean where you play a gladiator in a Colosseum type setting faced against either another person, or several computer npcs.

I'm really surprised at the sheer lack of games like this...I mean from my point of view a game like this could have SO much potential.

Stategy:
If your opponent is taller than you, you can try to sweep his legs and fight to your advantages, if he is shorter, keep him at further distance while fighting.
As I mentioned before, weapon vs weapon bonuses.
Armor: heavy armor which absorbs more damage but makes you move slower, allowing you to receive more hits, vs. light armor, which makes your attacks far quicker, although if hit, is highly damaging if not fatal.
Environment:
Use sand to throw in your opponents eyes.
Use sunlight to reflect light at their eyes.

And out of the arena:
Training to use different fighting techniques or improving on already learned ones.
Perhaps it could be one of those kinds of games that training takes real time, for example, 24 hours to upgrade your technique, but it does this while you are away.

A player can have more than one gladiator, so that while one is training, others can fight in the arena or also train. Winning in the arena leads to gaining resources which are necessary for better training and equipment.

These are just ideas that are coming to me on the spot, I can't imagine nobody has ever thought of these ideas and made a game based on at least SOME of the broader ideas such as an rpg gladiator style game.

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Stategy:
If your opponent is taller than you, you can try to sweep his legs and fight to your advantages, if he is shorter, keep him at further distance while fighting.
As I mentioned before, weapon vs weapon bonuses.
Armor: heavy armor which absorbs more damage but makes you move slower, allowing you to receive more hits, vs. light armor, which makes your attacks far quicker, although if hit, is highly damaging if not fatal.
Environment:
Use sand to throw in your opponents eyes.
Use sunlight to reflect light at their eyes.

problem is, if you were playing as the Lanista (owner of the gladiators) you probably couldn't mix n' match armor, you could buy someone and train them a certain type but not customize it
McGoose
McGoose
1 posts
Nomad

Hi, I was just looking for a game like you are a few days ago and also found nothing except for this one game for the PS2. It's called "Colosseum Road To Freedom". I didn't do any research on it other than check out a few vids on youtube. But basically from what iv'e seen was is that you are a peasent fighting for money in the Colosseum so you can earn enough for your freedom. There is training outside of battles which was just simple &quotress these buttons at the right time" kind of thing. Then from what iv'e seen is that you can pick weapons and armor to take into the battles. And also you can pick up weps, armors during/after the battles. There is different types of battles you can fight in some eg's are "team battle, battle royal, survival, and duel" (note: I just paused a vid and listed these). Iv'e never played this but it would look fun to try, even tho its for ps2. only problem was is that the battles looked too easy, dont know if the guy in the vid was on some real easy difficulty or something tho. And also, its not that cheap on amazon for a ps2 game lol.

Lifemaster
Lifemaster
186 posts
Shepherd

Hi, I was just looking for a game like you are a few days ago and also found nothing except for this one game for the PS2. It's called "Colosseum Road To Freedom". I didn't do any research on it other than check out a few vids on youtube. But basically from what iv'e seen was is that you are a peasent fighting for money in the Colosseum so you can earn enough for your freedom. There is training outside of battles which was just simple &quotress these buttons at the right time" kind of thing. Then from what iv'e seen is that you can pick weapons and armor to take into the battles. And also you can pick up weps, armors during/after the battles. There is different types of battles you can fight in some eg's are "team battle, battle royal, survival, and duel" (note: I just paused a vid and listed these). Iv'e never played this but it would look fun to try, even tho its for ps2. only problem was is that the battles looked too easy, dont know if the guy in the vid was on some real easy difficulty or something tho. And also, its not that cheap on amazon for a ps2 game lol.

Sounds really promising, but yeah, I'm strictly a PC gamer. Doesn't sound like anything that couldn't be done for PC, and improved in the process. Also, nothing like a game that's too easy...I can't stand those. Thanks for posting btw, I noticed it's your first post, so I appreciate it :-)
Tannen01
Tannen01
2 posts
Jester

hi...ok, i know this is really old, but here it goes anyway
unless what you want is a full game, this won't help ya, but in the mean time you could check out the online game 'Sands of the Coliseum' here in armor games...it's pretty cool and it's got hours and hours of gameplay (even though it gets rather repetitive pretty soon)

Tannen01
Tannen01
2 posts
Jester

another thing you could do is get an emulator and play the ps2 one on the pc

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Well, as I have said many times before in the past, Gladius was a very good Gladiator style RPG game. In fact, I liked the game so much that my username is taken from one of the Gladiator classes you can play in the game, "Minotaur". My only problem with the game was the lack of a sequel, and unfortunately LucasArts is to blame for that.. anyways, Gladius (since the game came out a while back) can be bought pretty cheep in a Gamestop for either the Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox.

Shadow of Rome was a nice Gladiator RPG game too, its more violent and gorier for people who are looking for the full Gladiator in a arena experience. The graphics were nice too for being an older game and the price is still pretty affordable (aprox. $10).

If you want an online gladiator RPG game, Gladius II is a good game. This isn't the sequel to the LucasArts Gladius but it is still a nice online MMORPG game for what it is. You can sign up for the game service here:

www.arenasofglory.com

jager303
jager303
1 posts
Nomad

heres the issue I brought this up years ago. Online only each person has there own house there own property to train and build being a lvl 1 building fame and fortune building up your house to be only as great as you are! rome grows as people join slaves can be bought and sold between players armor and weapons made when you have a forge and recipes for better weapons earned by your blacksmith learning/creating you should be able to play as both lanista and champion the problem is game creators dont have the imagination for this to work bf4 creators built that game but would be terrible at this concept a ton of gamers here colab and together maybe a solid idea can be formed but in the end a law suit is what they fear taking our ideas when the reward for my thoughts would be a game with details and good graphics and a solid combat system would be all I want next gen consoles could kill this game it could be done right but like I said lack of imagination has made this area of games suck

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Try chivalry medieval warfare the duel/ffa/lts modes are similar to gladiator fights especially in the arena map.

fukwon
fukwon
283 posts
Farmer

Gladius for the original XBOX, I played it for days, Its an SRPG, and it's a little cheesy, but the gameplay is fun enough.

Showing 1-14 of 14