ForumsGamesBest Faction Rome: Total War

112 31918
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

This is a forum comparing the factions in Rome Total war...
Contribute if you have the game!

If you dont, it costs like 10 bucks for Windows on Amazon, but quite a bit more for Mac... What are the best factions???????

• 112 Replies
ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

Easily 'dem Julii. Dirty Gauls and friggin' Brutii don't know 'bout my Samnites...

-Chillz

loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

I like the samnites, but for me I love the Egyptians, their infante is so nice and fast, but then again carthage is pretty good

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The Roman factions are almost the same, except that I like the Brutii Temple which churns out overpowered troops like there's no tomorrow. The Romans, all three factions, are overall probably the best faction you will encounter and can use; once you get the Reforms your infantry becomes a machine of pure dirty steel cutting through most other armies. And their auxiliary/missile/cavalry troops aren't too shabby too, in fact they are better than average. Pre-Reform troops are so so, since your enemies can probably unlock their best units before you do, which might hurt for awhile.

Apart from that, playing the Seleucid Empire is always a fun option since they the most diverse range of units; Phalanxes, Legionnaires, splendid cavalry, elephants, which when combined efficiently, can help them survive and even invade Rome, which I did quite easily.

Of course, military aside, one has to consider money, and Egypt is one of the better factions at doing so. Come to think of it, Egypt has a razor sharp military, if you increase the number of chariots and archers in your stack.

My favourite unit though, is the Spartan which is rather unstoppable in most situations.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Incendiary pigs FTW they are one of the things I remember from rome total war I haven't played it in awhile I can't remember the factions but on medieval total war 2 I love the Scottish nobles

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Incendiary pigs are from the Romans, I disliked using them cause they were more of a one time spawn, use and throw unit.

eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

I enjoy Barbarians because they can cause havoc, all to their advantage. (Particulary Gaul because of the Foresters and their pretty usefull military)

My favorite Greek faction is the Seleucids. As said above, They have pikemen, Chariots, Cataphracts, Companions, Elephants, and Temples to Hephaestus, which gives them weapon bonus...

But I also love the diversity in military that Carthage brings... I can't see why the Scipii dominate them so easily

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

But I also love the diversity in military that Carthage brings... I can't see why the Scipii dominate them so easily

Their huge provinces is a disadvantage; sending reinforcements takes years, by which the Scipii already have control of the capital, leaving you with the rest of the lesser cities. Which will then get whooped by Numidians one by one from the rear. If you play Carthage you have to play fast and furious to get past the initial stages.

Though most of the time, the AI Scipii in my games don't even proceed much into the African interior.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

Of course, military aside, one has to consider money, and Egypt is one of the better factions at doing so. Come to think of it, Egypt has a razor sharp military, if you increase the number of chariots and archers in your stack.

I'm an infantry man, I never really liked cavalry, an usually only use them to throw themselves at the enemy in a suicide charge, but I have to say, Egypt makes me really appreciate cavalry
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

Personally, When i want to appreciate Cavalry I go to the Seleucids... Cataphracts + Companions = Won match

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Personally, When i want to appreciate Cavalry I go to the Seleucids... Cataphracts + Companions = Won match

I think the Parthians are better at cavalry; then again, most of their unit types are downright rubbish.
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

Well, I don't Like Archer Cavalry... It is useless in combat, and Romans' Testeudo makes them impervious to arrows... Plus they have Limited ammo. I prefer a combination of Cataphracts (High Defense) And Compainons (Less Defense, but good attack)

keeton52
keeton52
928 posts
Nomad

I simply like using one of the Roman factions...or the Greeks. It feels better to play as Rome in a game called Rome.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I prefer a combination of Cataphracts (High Defense) And Compainons (Less Defense, but good attack)

Archer horsemen if used properly can be devastating, send them out to skirmish, then bring them in and send forth your heavy infantry. They shouldn't be used for direct confrontations, unlike MTWII and the Mongol units though.
eertyek_the_mad
eertyek_the_mad
151 posts
Nomad

I also think that if Carthage, used right, can devestate all of the Romans while they are still weak

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

They probably can, but Carthage starts out with weak units at the start, and they are much better of subjugating the Spanish since Spain is an economic gold mine, or the Numidians. The factions that can crush the Romans easily and should at the start are the three Barbarian factions, Brits, Gauls, Germans, or you can use the Greeks.

Showing 1-15 of 112