ForumsWEPRAn Immigrant's thoughts and history on America

20 6837
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

You ever wonder how hard immigrants worked to come to America? Have You ever wanted to know what it was like for them when they reached our borders?
Here, in this thread, I hope that immigrants or children of the immigrants will give their testomony about their life before and after they came to America. It is my hope that people will learn from this thread. Some of us don't know what immigrants went through as they came here.
I wish to talk about my mother and her time here. She lived in the philipines, having 5 brothers and sisters. She studied hard every day without the help of her parents. After finishing highschool my Mother came to a college here in America. During her time of attending college she attended a church where her Pastor introduced her to my Father it took of from there(i'll skip the smooching). In New Jersey She gave birth to my sister and 4 years later she gave birth to me. When I turned 4 my parents moved next to my Father's father's house, so at that they can take a break from us. During the course of years I noticed my Mother was getting extremely angry at the government. It seemed that the government had been giving her more and more trouble with immigration. The ilegal immigrants seemed to be treated better then the immigrants who came here legally. "They are being treated like VIPs." she said and it seemed to be so. Also during the immigration problem she had to fly back home in order to recieve her birth cretificate. Without it she couldn't get a new drivers license or passport. Because she couldn't get a new drivers license she wasn't allowed to deposit or take any money from the bank.
Well this is her story. Hope you learned somthing.

• 20 Replies
happybirthdayaphant1
happybirthdayaphant1
53 posts
Nomad

*gasp* I'm a Filipina american in NJ too! My mom always told me that I had it easy and count my blessings that I'm born here. I'm a first generation american and my relatives always say to me "Since you are already here, 90% has been given to your. It is what you do to that 90% that will make living here worth it." I honestly am not sure how I can relate to your mother's story, but it is yet another reason why we shouldn't be spoiled brats to our parents and be less sensitive to immigrants.

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Hehe. Thought I just say something that happens to me a lot. I look like a filipino, but people think i'm mexican. I talked to other filipino about this and they say it happens to them too. it seems that most of us get mistaken for a mexican.

Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

I'm Belgium I usually move a-lot cause of my dads job and when I came to the US for the first time I thought it would be another boring country as for the way I was greeted it seemed like I fit in perfectly at arrival but I guess the moving around a-lot stresses me out a-lot since 1 year from now I will be moving again but with my dad being a diplomat I didn't have to go through as much as other people so I should consider my self lucky.

macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

My mom immigrated to the US from the Philipines after she married my dad(an American). She had a hard time getting a citizenship. The interviewer thought she was some prostitute or something(when she wasn't). Then one of the interviewers' co-worker came in and told the person about one of his other clients. One of his clients was like a huge murderer. A very dangerous criminal. But the police can't arrest him when he is applying for citizenship. So the interviewer let my mom go. She is now a Citizen.

I think illegal immigration is really, really bad. I am very much against it. And yes, they are treated like VIP'S. They go to the emergency room for a check up, get free money from legal citizens' tax money. It isn't right. Also, many illegal immigrants are criminals. They can be dangerous. I think the US-Mexico border. Maybe like tall guard towers with machine guns. More fence. There are many gaps in the fence. There should be like electric barbed wire, mines, traps, and more guards. We need to keep our border safe. (The president doesn't seem to get it.)

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

I think illegal immigration is really, really bad. I am very much against it. And yes, they are treated like VIP'S. They go to the emergency room for a check up, get free money from legal citizens' tax money. It isn't right. Also, many illegal immigrants are criminals. They can be dangerous. I think the US-Mexico border. Maybe like tall guard towers with machine guns. More fence. There are many gaps in the fence. There should be like electric barbed wire, mines, traps, and more guards. We need to keep our border safe. (The president doesn't seem to get it.)

...So...Much...WIN!...

Illegal Immigrants are a plague upon this nation. They take jobs away from good, wholesome, natural Americans and actual legal immigrants who were willing to go through the (from what I can tell-quite arduous) legal American Immigration process. It's simply not right.

A bigger fence isn't the correct answer, it's one in the green, but not the one the people of America need. Military action against Mexico would seem correct as well, but war isn't always the answer. Quite frankly, I feel as if the answer is in front of us, but hidden behind a very thin, very hidden, veil.

-Chillz
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Illegal Immigrants are a plague upon this nation. They take jobs away from good, wholesome, natural Americans and actual legal immigrants who were willing to go through the (from what I can tell-quite arduous) legal American Immigration process. It's simply not right.

You know I heard this guy talk about how he hates it that the illegal immigrants are coming into America. One person said, "Well you just hate immigrants." And the person replied, "I am an immigramt."
numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

war isn't always the answer

sorry to disturb the theme of this thread but when has war ever been the answer, it creates problems on both sides nobody gains anything that is of virtue, you just lose so much
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

sorry to disturb the theme of this thread but when has war ever been the answer, it creates problems on both sides nobody gains anything that is of virtue, you just lose so much

Uh... Really I don't know what your talking about. This has no relationship to the thread whatsoever.
numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Uh... Really I don't know what your talking about. This has no relationship to the thread whatsoever.

read chillz most recent statement and then you will see wat am referring to
ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

Ah yes. I understand. War is NEVER the answer. Of course! Let me get in my time machine and make sure to tell the UK of 1939 to not declare war on the Nazi War Machine and simply send an angry letter, or even picket outside the Rhine! Oooh, how scandalous I am!

-Chillz
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

A note to all you people. Don't mistake people for spanish or chinese, cause some people just end up getting insulted. Even if we're trying to be nice. Oh and don't say that a person is not american because he was born from some mexican or any other thing like that. I find that insulting that some people have said that to me.

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

A note to all you people. Don't mistake people for spanish or chinese, cause some people just end up getting insulted. Even if we're trying to be nice.

Your over use of the vague term &quoteople" leaves me startled, confused, befuddled, and slightly hungry. Please elaborate.

don't say that a person is not american because he was born from some mexican or any other thing like that. I find that insulting that some people have said that to me.

If you were born in this country, you're American. If you went through the citizenship process in this country and passed, you're an American. Plain and simple.

-Chillz
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

If you were born in this country, you're American. If you went through the citizenship process in this country and passed, you're an American. Plain and simple.

And yet some people have claimed that since my Mother is Filipina I am not American.
ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

And yet some people have claimed that since my Mother is Filipina I am not American.

Doesn't make too much sense to me, considering that America owned the Phillipines for thirty-odd years (maybe more, maybe less). But I digress.

These false accusations of foreign nationality stem from the pre-determined belief that the farthest extent of an American is an African-American, while the closest thing one can get is a Scot, Anglo, or Dutch descendant. As long as if the Anglo-Saxon blood pumps through you, you're a pure-blood American, or so the superficial belief goes.

I may fall under that category, but again, as long as if you're not a dirty illegal and are willing to work for the better of the nation, then welcome to America, where should I put this eagle tattoo?

-Chillz
macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

We need national guard soldiers at the border with orders to fire on anyone who jumps the fence or crosses the border.

Showing 1-15 of 20