ForumsWEPRKONY 2012

86 28797
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

I was dissapointed when I saw that no one posted this before me.

KONY 2012

As said in Description:

KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice.

Joseph Kony have done bad things for over 20 years, but I think you didn't know about him.
Whatch the movie for more information.

This is probably the most important thing I've ever heard of.

• 86 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

It is also rather depressing to see people suddenly jumping around all morally outraged and flushed to hear about such an issue, without looking at the whole picture.

Is Invisible Children as an organization really that clean, that admirable, that courageous?

As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services , with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. So you know, your donations? Only a third will get to Uganda. And the response to such a criticism by Invisible Children supporters that the group has to travel to and fro to raise awareness? I call bull on that; so what if you tell more people that such a person exists? What can they do? Wouldn't the money be better spent on aid to Uganda?

Not to mention that the finances and transparency of the IC are rated rather low by various charity watchdogs.

The group is also in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government's army and various other military forces. These groups aren't exactly the brave liberators imagined by people; they too commit horrific abuses. Not to mention that they continue to ply aid to the Ugandan Army when Kony already left Ugandan soil in 2006, and hasn't since returned, which the IC admitted by themselves.

Not to also mention the fact that the IC manipulates and wildly inflates the threat of the LRA, as verified by the American Foreign Affairs Department. Kony is certainly evil, but exaggeration and manipulation to capture the public eye is unproductive, unprofessional and dishonest.

Moving along, the IC seems to be forgetting that the much more reliable American army has been stationed in Uganda for years under the U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM). In late 2008, AFRICOM was even involved in a military push to take out the LRA once and for all, Operation Lightning Thunder. It failed because Kony evacuated before hand, and because of Uganda's military inadequacies. So clearly, the problem ISN'T AWARENESS, the problem lies in the depth and sufficiency of the actions taken.

America has already stepped up commitments in Uganda, we don't need an NGO, one that isn't transparent, exaggerates and lies, and supplies and funds yet more groups who commit such atrocities themselves when we should leave it to the professionals.

And the last point? The LRA is estimated to only have 250 members left; clearly the IC is making a mountain out of a molehill. Wake up, and stop all this rather repelling and sudden spate of moral outrage; this false optimism that by clicking a like on FB actually does something other than fund an organization that is best left off the front line and better spent just pressuring and lobbying the government for a stronger approach. After all, can most of us honestly say to our conscience that we will remember this as a major event and not just a passing one a month from now?

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

I fully support the action of bringing Joseph Kony's wrong doings to light and I hope that he gets caught and trialled one day, along with the majority of others on the list. However, I don't like how awareness of Kony is being raised via the Invisible Children organisation. What they stand for is moral, but their plans and tactics are actually much less immoral than they make out.

In a way I'm just going to regurgitate the above tl;dr post..
I very much like the idea that the guy in the video wants to start a world movement where the people have more of a voice, because that can only be a good thing. Tell me I'm wrong but I've always thought that if a majority of people are asking for something to be done for the good of humanity, then usually what their asking really will benefit humanity? Millions upon millions of people can't be wrong.
I don't like how the guy seems to be turning the situation into a war against Kony. Kony should be brought to justice and he deserves to be hunted down and trialled. But there must be a more peaceful way to do this? The guy wants to get the Ugandan military involved, which means a bunch of gun-wielding Ugandans running amongst innocent Ugandans (namely the recruited kid-soldiers of the LRA), and we all know this means that at least a few of these people are going to be in the firing line. Besides, once they fine Kony, who are Kony's bodyguards? The young men he recruited, the young me who are going to be needlessly slain to capture Kony.
My ideal situation would be to have the LRA infiltrated and have all the innocent kid-soldiers told that if they all refuse Kony's orders at once and all turn on him instead, they'll bring him to justice and will be free. Sadly this is real life and that is never going to happen.

I highly doubt this will end well if the sketchy Invisible Children organisation remain involved. I mean the guy in the vid pushes for peace yet there's a picture of him and colleagues posting with the Ugandan soldiers, holding weapons, with silly looks on their faces!?

I swear this guy is all about the money.

The only good thing he has going for him is his ADORABLE son :3

Oh one last point, Kony is sick. I mean really sick, apparently his illnesses have stopped him in his tracks anyway.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

And the last point? The LRA is estimated to only have 250 members left; clearly the IC is making a mountain out of a molehill. Wake up, and stop all this rather repelling and sudden spate of moral outrage; this false optimism that by clicking a like on FB actually does something other than fund an organization that is best left off the front line and better spent just pressuring and lobbying the government for a stronger approach. After all, can most of us honestly say to our conscience that we will remember this as a major event and not just a passing one a month from now?

I don't know about your friends, but mine appear to be smart enough to figure this out for themselves. After every link to the Kony video, they talk about how you should pressure the U.S. government, not donate not IC. Here a post that seems to represent the trend:

So, basically, talk about it, but don't give them money. Kony still needs to be found, but we can help by supporting the efforts of our government, rather than giving to an organization that may be corrupt. That's my opinion.

In this case, the Kony video seems to be rather effective are putting pressure on the U.S. government. Now, maybe this could have been done with a more direct approach, and it surely should have been done sooner. But how is it a bad thing that its being done at all? 250 people is still a lot of people. Kony, even if he isn't as powerful as he once was, still should be brought to justice.

The "there are worse problems in the world" argument is baloney. There will always be a problem worse than the one people are talking about. So, what, we shouldn't try to fix anything ever?

You are hardly the only cynic on the internet. When many people see a video like this, they immediately start questioning the points it brought up. They find out about other problems, and sources of these problems. How is becoming more aware of the world a bad thing?

Kony already left Ugandan soil in 2006, and hasn't since returned, which the IC admitted by themselves.

They also said he wasn't in Uganda in their video. They also said why they were focusing on Uganda:
The Ugandan governmentâs army, the UPDF, is more organized and better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries (DRC, South Sudan, CAR) to track down Joseph Kony. Part of the US strategy to stop Kony is to encourage cooperation between the governments and armies of the 4 LRA-affected countries. The LRA was active in Uganda for nearly 20 years, displacing 1.7 million people and abducting at least 30,000 children. The people and government of Uganda have a vested interested in seeing him stopped.

I understand your problems with this tactic, since you are quite right in your accusations against the Ugandan military. So what is your solution? Shouldn't we be trying to limit the American Military's involvement in foreign affairs?

It is also rather depressing to see people suddenly jumping around all morally outraged and flushed to hear about such an issue, without looking at the whole picture.

It is also rather depressing to see someone so cynical that they think they are the only person capable of seeing the whole picture.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I don't know about your friends, but mine appear to be smart enough to figure this out for themselves. After every link to the Kony video, they talk about how you should pressure the U.S. government, not donate not IC. Here a post that seems to represent the trend:

Not everyone actually is smart enough to. Seeing days of joyful hashtags doing nothing is quite enough.

250 people is still a lot of people. Kony, even if he isn't as powerful as he once was, still should be brought to justice.

The military is already engaged in doing so, without the backing of the IC. What the IC is engaged in doing now, especially via the video is to raise awareness amongst people. Which is just a waste of money.

In this case, the Kony video seems to be rather effective are putting pressure on the U.S. government.

Actually it doesn't. Whichever friend you got that quote from, is merely now being aware of it, and being an armchair critic. Is that exerting pressure? No.

The "there are worse problems in the world" argument is baloney. There will always be a problem worse than the one people are talking about. So, what, we shouldn't try to fix anything ever?

Never used that argument. Don't know where you think I did.

How is becoming more aware of the world a bad thing?

It isn't. But it isn't the ''good'' thing that people make it out to be, because raising awareness amongst the majority of people does jack squat when the military and relevant authorities are already doing what they can about it all.

So what is your solution? Shouldn't we be trying to limit the American Military's involvement in foreign affairs?

American military aid, American training, American officers; You don't need to send in massive amounts of troops like Iraq or Afghanistan. Lobby the US to put pressure on the AU to send in troops.

Or will you adopt the IC position of just funding the Ugandan military which has proven itself useless for thirty years?

It is also rather depressing to see someone so cynical that they think they are the only person capable of seeing the whole picture.

The IC is trying to raise awareness. That isn't going to help, by mobilising legions of social media users.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Ugandan military which has proven itself useless for thirty years?

Taken thirty years to drive out the LRA, yet still cannot contain it fully.*
R3LOAD
R3LOAD
532 posts
Peasant

Isn't it called infamous?

Yeah, but the video is about 'making him famous', but not making him famous, more bringing justice.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

Right. So what if more people do?

That's the whole point. What you lived 1941 and you had never heard of Hitler?

Also, that thing on 30 April will make sense.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I'm rather amused by the fact that, a month ago, almost all the people I know who are all Kony Twenty Twelvers didn't even know about the LRA.

Besides, in six months, everyone will have forgotten about him. Thats just the way the world works.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Then it seriously would do nothing to impact my life. It's not like anyone's life is ' greatly changed' by seeing a 30-minute video. All that has changed in lives is that people want to help, which is what IC wanted to happen, seeing as they will get rich off of this whole scheme. Fun fact: Invisible Children spent more money making the Kony 2012 video than they put into Africa. Raising awareness will do almost nothing to actually bring Kony to justice, and money does not help much either. People also might call in to congress to tell them to send more troops to catch Kony, but really the U.S. has already done a lot to get Kony in these past few years.

I can't believe how many people I saw said, "Kony is evil! We need to raise awareness! Or "Now I'm afraid that I'll be kidnapped in the middle of the night!" Or maybe the worst of all, "I bought the kit to support the cause!"
42maelstrom
42maelstrom
123 posts
Nomad

Also, there's probably thousands of these private "armies" all over the world. Sure, this may be one of the few with children being the main "soldiers", but it will make no significant difference in the world if we stop this 1 "army".

not that I'm for Kony or anything, in fact my view on the situation is pretty much summed up by nichodemus, but, in response to this I have this

Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day he was walking along the shore. As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day. So he began to walk faster to catch up. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean. As he got closer he called out,
"Good morning! What are you doing?"
The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish in the ocean."
"I guess I should have asked, why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"
"The sun is up and the tide is going out. And if I don't throw them in they'll die."
"But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a difference!"
The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said-
"It made a difference for that one."

And... yeah.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Never used that argument. Don't know where you think I did.

Sorry, I think I was going off of the whole "mountains into molehills" thing. I thought it was implied that molehills aren't worth troubling over, But I guess I was wrong. It IS a frequent argument against the Kony video, as seen in this quote from this thread:

Also, there's probably thousands of these private "armies" all over the world. Sure, this may be one of the few with children being the main "soldiers", but it will make no significant difference in the world if we stop this 1 "army".

Not everyone actually is smart enough to. Seeing days of joyful hashtags doing nothing is quite enough.

In my experience the number of people critisizing the campaign has greatly surpassed those surporting it.

Actually it doesn't. Whichever friend you got that quote from, is merely now being aware of it, and being an armchair critic. Is that exerting pressure? No.

How is exerting pressure on the government, and encouring others to exert pressure on the government, not exerting pressure? Why do you think this is the first time he has heard about this? Believe it or not, not all Americans are as ignorant as you think they might be. Even if this IS his first introduction to the topic, he has pretty much come to the exact conclusions about it that you have. If he's an armchair critic, then what are you?

It isn't. But it isn't the ''good'' thing that people make it out to be, because raising awareness amongst the majority of people does jack squat when the military and relevant authorities are already doing what they can about it all.

Are they? I agree, if the U.S. IS already doing everything it should be doing, then yes, there is really no reason why multitudes of American citizens should be making a fuss about it. But... if that isn't the case, if the government is aware that its citizens really care about this, they might allocate more resources towards his capture/ restoration of affected regions. I mean, this is the type of concrete that that looks really great for a politician, especially in election season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the actual video. Its pretty horrible. But I don't think the outcomes from the video have been entirely horrible. People are becoming more educated about global issues. People are talking about how much public opinion matters, how people can and cannot influence these kinds of events. Will this capture Kony? probably not. But at least its making us Americans a little more aware of how we fit in with the world, which is desperately needed.

Here is a nice little article that made its way into my newsfeed a few times that I thought was nice:
Criticisms

Also, a KONY2012 drinking game for those of age (its not inappropriate or anything, don't worry)
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

It's not exerting pressure because all he did is issue an opinion. Posting something on FB isn't exerting pressure.

I'm an armchair critic as well! Isn't that obvious? and so what if I am? Doesn't do anything about him not being one.

I didn't say awarness was good or bad, it's just a thing. I do think hat what he IC is doing is going to be ineffective apart from awareness; but the hype that people I hear from and see, I feel is over inflated selfindulging conscience cuddling.

Evilfishy111
Evilfishy111
1,386 posts
Shepherd

My humanities class were watching the video and we were discussing a few things about him. One thing for sure is that hes a terrible man indeed, but what I dont get is how he wasnt famous for doing those things from the past 10 years. I mean, if somebody commits a crime, shouldnt it be seen to straight away? Or has people been hiding it from us since then?

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

sorry to say this, but nothing in that video really stirred any of my emotions. does that make me a bad person? I sure hope not.

in reality, it didn't stir my emotions because of the fact that I recognize rhetoric when I see it, especially rhetoric TAILOR MADE to stir your emotions (pathos rhetoric is its proper name).

yeah sure, if I was a little less intelligent, I would've eaten it up like a starving animal, but the fact is, I saw so much pathos in there that I wanted to cry that people were actually eating this up. I saw the real reason why the video was posted, and it was to get money, simple as that.

call me a cynic, but I'm rather confident that kony is only in the back of his mind, while gaining money (not funding, money.) is his #1 priority. it was especially obvious in the middle when he suddenly became a salesperson selling the action kit for an ignorant teenager, with no real understanding of money's value, to buy it like the world would end if he didn't.

like nicho said, we will probably forget about this in a few months, but I won't forget how foolish the people who bought these things will look when they realize that they were jipped.

-Blade

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Also, that thing on 30 April will make sense.

How would you not hear about Hitler when you live in 1941? Unless of course, you're totally oblivious that the whole world was engaged in the bloodiest war in history. Honestly, you still haven't answered the point of ''so what now?''. Of course it's a good thing in that in hindsight it might make Americans and everyone else more aware of their world, and make them find out more about it. Perhaps. But aside from that, what else does it do that directly helps combat the LRA conflict?

And don't you mean 20th April? How would that even help? People turn up for a few hours with their pre-ordered kit, chanting that Kony should be killed.....and then? Nothing.
Showing 16-30 of 86