ForumsPopular MediaDeceased Music Artists "R.I.P." (General Discussion)

51 20338
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Since a lot of music artists have died over the past time and no general thread was available to discuss these great artists (personal preferences set aside), I decided to start one to have a place to discuss them and what they achieved and gave to us to remember them by!

Feel free to add any artists that passed away recently, no need to add artists that are deceased long ago, since that would only fill this thread with unuseful information already known to the world. So... Recently deceased artists only!!

Rest In Peace...

To start the thread off, two wonderful artists have passed recently, one know by his hits and one known a bit less -unless you are a fan of the old school Rock Genre... first:

# Jimmy Ellis of The Trammps (74 y.o.a.)

Jimmy Ellis, frontman of the Trammps, has died at the age of 74. He passed away yesterday in Rock Hill, South Carolina from complications of Alzheimer's disease.

Ellis was best known as the singer of the band's 1976 song "Disco Inferno", which became a smash hit in the United States in 1978 after it was included on the soundtrack for Saturday Night Fever. The Trammps also scored hits on the R&B charts with their cover of Judy Garland's signature tune "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart", "Hold Back the Night" and "The Night the Lights Went Out", which was inspired by the New York City blackout of 1977.
(Source: www.rollingstone.com)

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/trammps-singer-jimmy-ellis-dead-at-74-20120309/1000x306/main.jpg

What he has left us to enjoy still...

* Disco Inferno
* Shout
* Hold Back The Night
* Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart
* The Night the Lights Went Out

Another (completely different) artist that has died recently...

# Ronnie Montrose (64 y.o.a.)

Ronnie Montrose, who is best known for his fiery guitar work as a member of the band Montrose, died Saturday. It is believed that the cause of death was prostate cancer, which he had been battling for the past few years.

"A few months ago, we held a surprise party for Ronnie Montrose's 64th birthday," a statement said on Montrose's official website. "He gave an impromptu speech, and told us that after a long life, filled with joy and hardship, he didn't take any of our love for granted. He passed today. He'd battled cancer, and staved off old age for long enough. And true to form, he chose his own exit the way he chose his own life. We miss him already, but we're glad to have shared with him while we could."

Born in Denver, Colorado, Montrose got his first break when he was invited to play on Van Morrison's 1971 album, Tupelo Honey. Additional appearances on recordings by Herbie Hancock, Boz Scaggs, and the Edgar Winter Group soon followed before he formed his own band, Montrose, in 1973. In addition to the guitarist, the band consisted of a then-unknown Sammy Hagar on vocals, as well as bassist Bill Church and drummer Denny Carmassi.

The quartet issued one of rock's all-time great debuts that year, their Zeppelin-esque album, Montrose, which spawned such soon-to-be hard rock standards as "Rock the Nation," "Bad Motor Scooter," "Space Station #5," "Rock Candy" and "Make It Last," all of which featured Montrose's tasty guitar playing. Hagar, however, would only remain with the band for one more release (1974's Paper Money) before exiting the group.

Still, the two Hagar/Montrose albums proved influential to subsequent bands, as evidenced by all the rock acts covering Montrose tunes, including Iron Maiden, who covered "I've Got the Fire" and "Space Station #5." Interestingly, Van Halen (the group Hagar would eventually front for two separate stints) would cover the songs "Rock Candy" and "Make It Last" during their early club days.

Montrose the group (with singer Bob James filling Hagar's spot) would soldier on for a few more releases in the Seventies before the guitarist issued an all-instrumental solo album, 1978's Open Fire. He went on to form Gamma, which issued three albums between 1980 and 1983. From the Eighties onward, Montrose would alternate between issuing additional recordings from Montrose, Gamma, and as a solo artist.

Ronnie Montrose and Sammy Hagar appeared to eventually bury the hatchet, as the original Montrose line-up appeared on the singer's 1997 solo effort, Marching to Mars, for the song "Leaving the Warmth of the Womb," and even played together again on stage several times afterwards. For the past few years, Montrose had played solo shows throughout the U.S.
(Source: www.rollingstone.com)

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/guitarist-ronnie-montrose-dead-at-64-20120304/1000x306/main.jpg

What he has left us to enjoy still...

* Bad Motor Scooter
* Rock Candy
* Space Station #5
* Rock The Nation

For the both of them... Rest In Peace... your contribution to the world of music will be missed!

• 51 Replies
kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

MrDayCee, I have no idea who these artists were. Never heard of them before reading this thread. Maybe I'm too young

Unfortunately, many artists have passed away recently and it would take me too long to name them all. So my contribution to this thread is... Etta James. She was an amazing singer with a powerful and emotional voice. She died on January from complications of leukemia when she was 73 years old.

Here we have some examples of her fantastic talent:

* I just want to make love to you
* At last
* Rock'n'roll music. This is a nice live performance with Chuck Berry. Enjoy!

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

TOO BAD EVERY ONE FROM QUEEN and the beattles are dead they were really good artists.

Wha-wha-WHAATTT?! Where on EARTH did you come up with that thought JeffK3?!?! (o.O)

Some of the members of both bands are dead, yes... but others are still 'alive and kickin' you know! =)

Queen members:
- Freddie Mercury (died of AIDS November 24th, 1991)
- Brian May (Still alive and performing...)
- John Deacon (Still alive, but retired from music...)
- Roger Taylor (Still alive and performing...)

The Beatles members:
- Paul McCartney (Still alive and performing...)
- John Lennon (murdered December 8th, 1980)
- George Harrison (died of Cancer November 29th, 2011)
- Ringo Starr (Still alive and performing...)

So, you see that several members are still alive and even performing on stage right now! Just to inform you...
pablo4270
pablo4270
1,931 posts
Peasant

- George Harrison (died of Cancer November 29th, 2011)

I think there is a typo, he died in 2001.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

George Harrison (died of Cancer November 29th, 2011)

I think there is a typo, he died in 2001.

LOL Oh my god... and is it even right to laugh about it? =/

Geeeeshhh! That's a pretty stupid type-o there!
*blushes*

Sorry... the coorect date George Harrison died must indeed be November 29th, 2001... (o.O)
mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

What about Kurt Cobain? For those of you who don't know him, he was the singer and frontman of Nirvana, and one of the best grunge singers to date. He left us with the memorable songs of...

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Lithium

He committed suicide April 5, 1994.

R.I.P.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4759021818019996&id=74782bdfd6dfcaf17cc55aed5bf018e8&index=newexp&url=http%3a%2f%2fimages1.fanpop.com%2fimages%2fphotos%2f1200000%2fKurt-kurt-cobain-1285582-1024-768.jpg&cache=1

cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

Johnny Cash. One of the country greats. He died September 12, 2003, only four months after his sweetheart, June.

He gave us Walk the Line, Ring of Fire, Folsom Prison Blues, Ballad of a Teenage Queen, Ballad of Ira Hayes, One Piece at a Time, Hurt, and many many others.

Nintendodo
Nintendodo
52 posts
Nomad

Metal Time:

1. Chuck Schuldiner- Frontman/Guitarist/Song-Writer for Death

Schuldiner was an absolutely amazing metal artist, revolutionizing the genre not one, but two times. First he spear-headed the early death metal scene with bands like Possessed and Morbid Angel. Then, in the 1990s, Schuldiner began writing much more intricate, progressive, and technical music. Sometimes when I listen to Death's music, a moment of sadness comes over me, knowing that this amazing song-writer is gone. He also was in Control Denied.

2. Ronnie James Dio- Ex-fronman of Black Sabbath and his own band, Dio.

Dio was one of the best classic metal vocalists who not only was a great musician (he also played guitar and other instruments), but and great person, too. If you watch any interview of the man, you can see just how nice he was, and really intelligent. He was also one of the only old-school metal vocalists who still performed in his old age as he did when he was in his twenties.

3. Dimebag Darrel- Guitarist of Pantera

Dimebag's guitar playing almost single handedly influnced the entire post-thrash, groove-metal guitar sound. Not only did he influence newer bands, like Whitechapel and Bullet For My Valentine, but he also influenced older metal guitarists, such as Kerry King of Slayer and Cory Smoot. Speaking of which...

4. Cory Smoot- Lead Guitarist for GWAR

Cory Smoot played guitar for GWAR under the character Flattus Maximus from 2002 to 2011, when he died while on tour, crossing the border into Canada from the U.S. I know when I first heard about it, I was actually shocked; the man was just getting really recognized by the metal community as more than just the GWAR character and as an amazing guitarist. Not to mention GWAR is sort of a house-hold name for me; my dad has been a GWAR fan since he saw Oderus on Red Eye.

That's all I've got, but if I come up with more, trust me I'll be back.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Hmmm... I guess that this thread is starting to become a nice tribute-slash-information thread on who died when and what he/she meant to the music industry here... even though I stated no older deaths should be mentioned, only the recent ones, I guess it's a bit pointless now... =/

Even so, I (sadly) have a new death to report in the music industry that is recent...

# Doobie Brothers' drummer Michael Hossack (65 y.o.a.)...

http://classicrockfestival.weblog.nl/files/2012/03/michael-hossack-456-120312.jpg

Doobie Brothers drummer Michael Hossack died at his home in Dubois, Wyoming yesterday (March 12th) at the age of 65. He had been battling cancer for some time and succumbed to complications of the disease with his family at his side.

Hossack was a member of the Doobie Brothers between 1971 and 1973, playing on several of the band's best-known hits, including "Jesus Is Just Alright", "Listen to the Music" and "China Grove". Hossack returned to the band when they reunited in 1987 and was a mainstay of the group through the next two decades, performing on most of the group's tours until he took a health leave in 2010.

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/doobie-brothers-michael-hossack-dead-at-65-20120313/1000x600/main.jpg

The Doobie Brothers released a statement on Hossack in January, saying he was improving slowly. In 2010, Hossack wrote a message to his fans explaining that while "it's been hard not touring with the band", he had "incredible support" from his family, friends and the Doobie Brothers.

You can watch Hossack perform "Listen to the Music" with the Doobie Brothers on The Midnight Special in 1973.

(source: www.rollingstone.com)

Ievory11
Ievory11
14 posts
Nomad

I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned Michael Jackson yet.

MJ was probably one of the best pop artists there is, and it is a shame he is gone. R.I.P.

fracell
fracell
67 posts
Nomad

kurt cobain

fracell
fracell
67 posts
Nomad

NOOOOOOOOOOO wait i change mine stevie ray vaughan or jimmi hendrix

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
658 posts
Nomad

John Lennon and also George Harrison. The Beatles were definitely one of the greatest bands. ;(

emochick324
emochick324
3,042 posts
Nomad

smells like teen spirt was a awesome song. he commited suicide?

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

NUJABES. WAAAAH GODDAMMIT WHY DID NUJABES HAVE TO DIE? Deceased Feb. 16th 2010 after sustaining injuries from a car accident that wasn't his fault. Did lots of his own work as well as soundtrack on Samurai Champloo.

Some of his songs . . . .

Aruarian Dance

Counting Stars

Feather (feat. CYNE)

Old Light

NarutoAwesomeness28
NarutoAwesomeness28
187 posts
Nomad

Amy Winehouse D: I never listened to her but after she passed, I heard some of her songs.. and she is so talented may she rest in peace

Showing 1-15 of 51