ForumsWEPRwhy is america fat

170 72692
fracell
fracell
67 posts
Nomad

is it the lack of exercise stress junk food (go ahead blame the food) or what i think it is technology were so dependant on technology that we stay inside all day with little human contact i am verry fit i go outside everyday run with my dog do 300 pushups a day do benchpresses and curls punch the bag ect. and i joined the navy seals and marine force recon why can no one else do this its the easyest thing in the world tell me about your ideas

• 170 Replies
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

That is, if your whole existence is based off of food. There are many other pleasures inlife.

That is why I said pleasures not food.
And I think one should take the middle track neither fast nor slow.
frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

That is why I said pleasures not food.
And I think one should take the middle track neither fast nor slow.

Hmmm, your probably right. Personally, I like to eat healthy with only an occasional indulgence.
Deathless950
Deathless950
1,943 posts
Nomad

America used to be the only ones fat

Now it's everyone else except 3rd world countries

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

You ride the bus everywhere, right Shona? I've only ever ridden a non school bus on track team trips and around Disney world. I've seen cabs in movies and in other media... I've seen something like 3 or 4 in real life.

I do yes, the transport system here is a lot better than the states i have been to. I mean Maine doesn't even have a regular bus service. They have something called a Trolley. *Irish Amusement*. So i understand with Americas car culture, the added expense is there.

I can't be bothered going back to quote *Throws this sentence into the laziness arguement* but somebody said something [come to think of it, it may have been you matty] - about how you can get food less healthy for a better price and a much better quantity. This is why i choose junk food when i'm very hungry. I mean i like eating healthy, and being healthy. I'm not in anyway overweight. But money wise, junk food is more appealing.
Sturmgewehr444
Sturmgewehr444
9 posts
Nomad

It is a stereotype because we serve unhealthy and fatty foods that some people love. Then a few get fat and *BOOM* America is fat.

keeton52
keeton52
928 posts
Nomad

McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's, KFC, Arby's, "massive" laziness, near blatant stupidity, lack of exercise, and...here's the big one: Religion. (Look at how many obese people are Religious) Good enough?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Religion. (Look at how many obese people are Religious) Good enough?

No. Without any real evidence to link the two, I'm rejecting this causation ''link''.
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

It is a stereotype because we serve unhealthy and fatty foods that some people love. Then a few get fat and *BOOM* America is fat.

naw. 30% is a small fraction of your country.

McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's, KFC, Arby's, "massive" laziness, near blatant stupidity, lack of exercise, and...here's the big one: Religion. (Look at how many obese people are Religious) Good enough?

No, those are normally just the trailer park trash and lazily devout are somewhat fat.

Now it's everyone else except 3rd world countries

That's too broad of a spectrum to be a legitimate fact. I'm sure of it.
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

Why is any nation fat? You eat more calories than you burn off.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

naw. 30% is a small fraction of your country.

30% obese is high. And let's not forget that over 60% are overweight. There's a difference between the two, but both are bad.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Americans are only fat because the crap they sell in fast food restaurants are so cheap. If it was more expensive like in other countries people wouldn't eat out as often making them eat healthier (most likely) and you know... not get fat.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Americans are only fat because the crap they sell in fast food restaurants are so cheap. If it was more expensive like in other countries people wouldn't eat out as often making them eat healthier (most likely) and you know... not get fat.

I call BS. Other food in America isn't that much more expensive than fast food, and fast food is also cheap relatively to other food in other nations, (3 bucks for a Macs meal, or 5 bucks for a plate of rice here). Don't blame the prices anymore than blaming your own tastebuds and wanting for it.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

I call BS. Other food in America isn't that much more expensive than fast food,

You can buy a sandwich at mcdonalds for a buck or spend $100 weekly at the supermarket for a family of 4 or 5. Also people like fast food cause they are too lazy to cook.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

You can buy a sandwich at mcdonalds for a buck or spend $100 weekly at the supermarket for a family of 4 or 5.

I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is that demand factors due to taste are just as important in this equation.
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

You can buy a sandwich at mcdonalds for a buck or spend $100 weekly at the supermarket for a family of 4 or 5. Also people like fast food cause they are too lazy to cook.

Laziness huh? How about pure tiredness? Imagine having 4 or 5 kids having to get up get yourself dressed and your 4 or 5 kids. Drop them off at school or make sure they get on the school bus, work all day, then go to practices, games. Then come home and do homework with your children. I didn't even mention doing household chores or running errands out in the street. Stop having a self-righteous attitude and saying people that eat fast food are "lazy".

Fast food isn't the ONLY cause of obesity in this country. Notice how canned vegetables and fruits are significantly cheaper than fresh vegetables? Or that processed foods are significantly cheaper than fresh foods. The point is, if you're feeding a family of 4 or 5 it's easier to buy canned vegetables and processed foods rather than fresh foods. Fresh foods are most likely to have lesser calories in them. We're in an economy that is raising the prices of commodities and the pay stay the same. Let's not go into organic food prices either. Eating healthy is very hard to do in a hard economy.
Showing 46-60 of 170