ForumsWEPR[necro] Is homosexuality right or wrong?

1146 385608
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

I think homosexuality is totally wrong and unnatural, what do you think?

• 1,146 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

The human's niche is to Reproduce, and if you are playing the wrong way, then you can't reproduce!!

Sigh, here we go again.

Generic counter #1: What about infertile couples?
Generic counter #2: What about personal choice?
Generic counter #3: What about people who don't want children?

People can control who they are attracted to.

Really? Just to prove your point, go feel attracted to the next person of the same sex. You don't have to do anything with them or tell them, just feel like you do when you look at an attractive person of the opposite sex.

I think it's just sick and twisted to be homosexual.

...why, exactly? What do you even care? It's not like anyone is forcing you to do it, or making you watch others do it. Since when did how you feel about it affect how anyone else does?

but I know one thing: I am going to stay straight.

Good for you?
Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

Just to prove your point, go feel attracted to the next person of the same sex

HA! straight from the horses mouth you now have technically have said that you can choose what you feel
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It is no more wrong than what we deem it to be. Forget nature's construction of us, what is wrong by human standards is defined by us. It was wrong to allow racial segregation. It was considered normal to perpetuate slavery. It was morally acceptable to beat your spouse. Mob justice was swept under the carpet because it was right. Blood feuds were part of society. Yet these have been phased out and died slow deaths because our value system changed. So is it morally "wrong"? Only if we think it to be and only if our particular culture reinforces that message.

Besides, claiming our purpose is to reproduce would imply that some higher authority has deliberately designed us as such. If this is evolution then clearly we don't need to reproduce the way we did when we were primitive societies, since human planning in the form of government campaigns in order to prevent the overstretvh of resources has shown that relying solely on so called biological instincts is tendentious at best.

On the other hand, if you claim a higher religious figure as the one who made you such that reproduction is a key priority...and yet claim you have no complete power to understand their infinite and divine will ( since after all our finite minds are constantly referred to as ill equip), how do you reconcile the fact that you're saying you comprehend that divine will?

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I am going to stay straight.

You can't become homosexual. You are homosexual when you are born, and you stay a homosexual no matter what. People hide it very well and marry the opposite sex, but they are still homosexuals, or bisexuals at least.

Jobs are pointless. In the past no one had a job, they just did whatever they wanted and liked.

Well, to a 13 year old, yea, sure, jobs are useless. And please, provide me a source where it says that jobs didn't exist in the past?

Clothes are pointless.

Please, go to Russia or Sweden and tell me how pointless clothing is.

@Xerox what does this have to do with homosexuality though?

...and yes a lot of things we do and have are pointless e.g. toes...

...are pointless e.g. toes...

...toes...

toes

all my wat
Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

1) Toes are not pointless.
2) Jobs are not pointless.
3) Clothes are not pointless.
4) Money is not pointless.
5) Stupidity just is.

we have survived in ancient times without jobs
cloths well ya never mind your right about that one
money we use to barter for things which was way more economically stabilizing
Hey! don't call me stupid! but yes it is pointless we sould all have at least common sense.
Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

yes toes sensanaty if we had none we would have better balance because we would have more muscles in our legs.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

HA! straight from the horses mouth you now have technically have said that you can choose what you feel

That isn't what he was saying...he was proving a point by telling the other user to try and force their affections towards a gender they do not have affections for. The user, since he claimed he is straight, won't be able to do so, since he is straight. Thus showing how you can't choose who you like

yes toes sensanaty if we had none we would have better balance because we would have more muscles in our legs

Anything to back this up?
I think you are thinking of the pinky toe and turning it into a huge generalization...we can do perfectly fine without the pinky toe...but the other toes are needed for balance and mobility
Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

People can control who they are attracted to.

Ha! right... just like the old expression: you Can help who you fall in love with.

I imagine you are short on life experience.
Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

Homosexuality is Not wrong! Discrimination is wrong. One of these things hurts people, one does not. That seems like a pretty simple metric for what is right vs wrong, yes?

When my wife and I got married, we starting getting several thousand dollars per year more in our tax returns. If we were a gay couple, we would not be eligible for those thousands of dollars. This is just one example of more than 1000 different laws that discriminate against gay and lesbian couples. Another example is denying gay couples adoption rights, health care benefits, and family-member status in case of emergencies. Discrimination is wrong. Being gay hurts no one.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

yes toes sensanaty if we had none we would have better balance because we would have more muscles in our legs.

The opposite is true.. we need our toes for correct balance, and even if we lost them, it would not magically create more muscles up in the leg. Well we would accomodate somehow, bu it'd be tiresome.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

If we argue about toes being X and homosexuality similarly being X hence homosexuality is pointless/wrong/fatuous then I have no faith in how people think. Using analogies or irrelevant examples to push one's case only shows how little one knows about the topic and have to resort to fallacies.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Most pointless of all is humans. They are useless. You cant eat em, you cant drink from them.You cant even use them as wood for the fire. Why do they exist? Animals, are good for eating, using their skin, you can drink their blood if your thirsty, you can burn them if your cold. If you look at human he will start talking, and as you know talking is kinda pointless because animals do not talk and they still understand each other. Animal will not talk you back!

Basically the law is responsible, and the humans that made it. The law says its alright to kill animals to live, but it forbid us for killing humans. The law in some places says its alright to hate gay and be racist against them, but it is not alright to be racist against anyone else.

So basically if there were no humans, there wouldn't be hate, and bunch of pointless stuff.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Most pointless of all is humans. They are useless. You cant eat em, you cant drink from them.You cant even use them as wood for the fire. Why do they exist? Animals, are good for eating, using their skin, you can drink their blood if your thirsty, you can burn them if your cold. If you look at human he will start talking, and as you know talking is kinda pointless because animals do not talk and they still understand each other. Animal will not talk you back!

Basically the law is responsible, and the humans that made it. The law says its alright to kill animals to live, but it forbid us for killing humans. The law in some places says its alright to hate gay and be racist against them, but it is not alright to be racist against anyone else.

So basically if there were no humans, there wouldn't be hate, and bunch of pointless stuff.

Now now, why so misanthropic? We're animals too, and definitions of what is useful/useless are subjective, arbitrary and stupid anyway. Animals do communicate back, and how can you say there is no hate among rival animals?

Anyway, I kinda lost the thread of your post. What was your point? That laws are stupid and discriminate gays?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Laws reflect the values of society. When values change over time, the natural process will take over. Sometimes however, nature is too slow and we need drastic action!

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Since I first brought up the toes thing and you guys have gone off on a tangent with I guess i will have to explain further.
First off I didn't say toes were pointless, having fiver toes is. We still use toes for balance, though this is mostly with the big toe. We could cut off most of a persons toes and their balance would remain unaffected. The analogy here was to present a common feature in humans that was pointless that would unlikely be called wrong in he way homosexuality is being called.
Like it or not homosexuality like having five toes on each foot is not a choice. We can see even the physical structure of the brain is different.
Symmetry Of Homosexual Brain Resembles That Of Opposite Sex, Swedish Study Finds

Showing 736-750 of 1146