Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

A castaway's wish...

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 12:35pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

my iPod (to entertain me)

Great. You get 2 hours of entertainment, if it wasn't completely screwed up by being immersed in salt water.

Anyways, to my three things.

1) A heavy duty hunting knife. This could be used for all sorts of things from skinning animals that I trap/hunt, carving wood, making sharp and pointy sticks, wood shavings to help start a fire, self defense, and an eating utensil along with more.

2) Some kind of large amount of a water-proof material (like a big roll of tarpaulin) by which I can make a shelter early on and store/collect rain water, as well as suspend food off of the ground as to keep away scavengers/predators.

3) A heavy duty sleeping bag/lots of blankets in order to keep warm. Really, on a deserted island there's no way you're going to replicate comforters or sleeping bags of any kind with a degree of success unless you know how to make fabrics which I unfortunately don't.

Note: I did not put in anything to make a fire because I do know how to make fires without a match/lighter which left me another option open.

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 2:08pm

Jazmoon

Jazmoon

568 posts

Great. You get 2 hours of entertainment,

Are yes, but i have a back up battery, that can add up to 5 hours extra battery time, so that would make seven hours. I 'spoes i would bring that too. But that would make four things XD, all well.

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 2:56pm

Jake297

Jake297

309 posts

A heavy duty sleeping bag/lots of blankets in order to keep warm. Really, on a deserted island there's no way you're going to replicate comforters or sleeping bags of any kind with a degree of success unless you know how to make fabrics which I unfortunately don't.

Oh sure, because you would need to keep warm on an island where the temp doesn't fall below 70 during the night.

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 2:59pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

Oh sure, because you would need to keep warm on an island where the temp doesn't fall below 70 during the night.

Where did he say it was a tropical island?

Have you ever slept outside even when it's 45-50 degrees? I thought not. Have you ever slept on rocks? I thought not either.

A sleeping bag would also protect you to a large degree from insects at night, which could potentially save your life if they were carrying a disease of some sort. It would also protect you from the wind chill.

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 3:00pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

Nvm, I feel stupid now.

Either way, I'd still like some blankets/sleeping bag for the above mentioned reasons, if not just simple comfort.

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 3:08pm

daleks

daleks

3,648 posts

Duct tape
More duct tape
Water

I saw the Mythbusters where they are on an island with only duct tape. They were able to find water, food, make shelter and do all the things to survive with only duct tape and what the island had to offer.

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 6:00pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,669 posts

And to sum things up... these are the ground rules:
# Name the 3 items of tour choice;
# Elaborate on why you would want those particular items;
# And what would you do with them?

Well I have two lists, one for if I had to stick to the boundries of modern stuff, and another if these 3 items could be anything.
Let's start with the anything list
#1. A potion of immortality
#2. A potion of unlimited energy (un-aging)
#3. A solar powered, waterproof, music player that could connect to pandoraradio.com ^^

Reasons Why I Would Like those Things:
for the first one so I could have enough time to swim across the ocean so I could get back to civilization (and make some changes while I'm there) the second one so i won't be dying of hunger or something while i'm taking that long swim, and the third one because I need something to keep me entertained while swimming that distance.

Now for if we are sticking to the boundries of our current state:
1. I guess since I don't think I'll be able to really get off this island using my expert ship making skills, alot of paper.
2. Alot of pencils
3. somehwere to keep the papers safe (like a steel case or something

I would get all those things just to somehow leave an impression on the world (I have a need to do that) and I know for a fact that if I'm stuck on an island I'm either guarenteed to die or guarenteed to live, depends on what's on it so I don't feel like using one of the three things on that.

3. An air-comditioned condo w/ electricity, hot and cold running water, a 36" flatscreen, a sauna, and 10 bedrooms.

I don't think those could all fall under one thing.

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 6:06pm

daniel5533

daniel5533

166 posts

iPhone starter kit already connected to server
generator
unlimited supply of gasoline

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 11:29pm

Joe96

Joe96

2,306 posts

you won't be rescued for several decades, because nobody misses you and will come look for you...

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg
I would say my top 3 things would be:
1) Something to collect rainwater (because water is the most valuable asset in a survival situation)

2) Jungle Knife (Useful tool that can be used to kill small game, double as a weapon for personal security, and skin animals you may happen to catch)

3) Medical Supplies (to maintain my health)

Something to note: many people going into regions without many people often carry a survival beacon to alert people in a situation that they need help

1. My girlfriends

I'm confused, do you have more than one girlfriend...?

Posted Apr 4, '12 at 11:32pm

Jake297

Jake297

309 posts

Hmmm... I don't know. Maybe it was the first picture on the thread. You know, the one of the tropical island?
I'm confused, do you have more than one girlfriend...?

Is there something wrong with that?

Reply to A castaway's wish...

You must be logged in to post a reply!