ForumsThe TavernColor or Colour

20 2535
greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

Which way of typing color do you prefer,color or colour.I have a bunch of people at my school who write it like colour so i was wondering how many people here do

• 20 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I assume most people who have been educated in British English will write it with a U, while everyone more comfortable in American English will write it without.
I write most of those words the British way, except "armor" because this site has ruined that for me.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

same as cenere. most of the time i add the "u" except for the word armor. before i came here though i also used to write it as armour

MasterMor
MasterMor
40 posts
Shepherd

i write color but i had American education

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I write color but only because I was taught that way. Writing colour would seem weird. Plus it is a whole extra letter you have to type.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Colour. British legacy I guess. And more opportunities to poke fun at Americans but that's beside the point. Most of the time.

Jazmoon
Jazmoon
561 posts
Peasant

color is Americana and colour is British. I'm in Britain at the moment and most people spell it colour. But i was born and had some of my education in Australia and they mostly wrote it colour as well that's how i was taught so i write colour. But really its the same word and meaning except one has a U and one doesn't so i 'spoes it depends where you were taught to write.

Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

I write it color because it's how they taught me, many people amongst the world are taught differently in slang or in other ways of speaking and writing.

Evilfishy111
Evilfishy111
1,386 posts
Shepherd

I use colour. I live in Australia, so I guess the teachers here teach everything the Australian spelling.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Australian spelling.

Wouldn't that just be British English, considering Australia is part of the Commonwealth.

Anyway, nice to see how people like to repeat the "People write this way, because that is what they have been taught/live in certain countries. The originality is marvellous.

So, let's take something else, because there is very little to the actual topic.
Ironically, however I have been taught, my school(s), and perhaps the entire country did, and still does, have a rule that states that there is no problem in using American English, as long as you are consistent about it, that is, not suddenly including Us into stuff, though I don't know if that includes writing pants instead of trousers and all the other ways American English differs from British English.
Considering DK is a country where English is either a second, third or fourth language, obviously this way of doing it is just making more sense anyway. No reason to go about strictly teaching children British English, when they will be watching American TV and would rather go visit the US rather than England for some reason (always better than Germany, I guess), so, as long as they stick to one spelling entirely, it is alright.
So, how about that, non-native English speakers? Do you have it the same way, or are there other rules in your educational system?
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I was born and somewhat raised in Kenya with the British English, but moved to the US in my formative years so I tend to flip flop between the two, I try to catch my mistakes for the most part but it slips through on occasion. Personally though, I prefer to use colour and armour, etc.

kitty25
kitty25
107 posts
Nomad

i spell it color. colour looks weird with an extra letter.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

I spell it as 'colour' since I live in Australia.

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

i spell it color i live in the US

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

there is no problem in using American English, as long as you are consistent about it, that is, not suddenly including Us into stuff, though I don't know if that includes writing pants instead of trousers and all the other ways American English differs from British English.

I don't really know why, but in our American schooling they don't even show us the alternate way to say color/colour, armor/armour, etc. The first time I actually found out about the British way was when I decided to read Lord of the Rings in first grade. If we used British English on our spelling tests and weren't a British exchange student or something like that, I'm guessing we would get marked off a bit. This is just another way I've begun to realize how America is somewhat ignorant of a lot of things around them. Maybe the nation is scared we will all like that way of spelling better and move out!

On a second note, I think colour looks more exquisite than color but I don't think I'll risk using it.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Colour, armour, centre, sombre, foetus, oesophagus.

Yup, I use Brit legacy. +5 Quaintness.

Showing 1-15 of 20