ForumsWEPRHow do you deal with death?

89 26904
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

How do you deal with the knowledge that your experience on Earth will end?

• 89 Replies
ScouseWarrior
ScouseWarrior
1,391 posts
Nomad

I lost my father when I was two years old, obviously this has affected me in life but it has made me a stronger charcter. It has made me realise death happens no-one can change that in life so you have to just accept the fact you or someone you know is going to die. If you accept it, you become a stronger person mentally. If you don't you'll be forever gloomed with the long hand of death!

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I used to panic, hyperventilate, cry in a corner, and become depressed whenever I thought about it. Eventually I accepted the inevitable and have been trying to use my time more wisely and do what I feel like. And that is why I have no emotions.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

The shortness of life greatly increases its importance.

I don't get this. I understand the shortness of life increases your importance while you're alive, but after you die it's meaningless. After you and the people who cared about you die, then there is no one left to find importance in it and it is no longer important.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

It's not really meaningless because, no matter how big or small, you still leave some impression on the world. Also, the fact that you only have one life kind of inspires you to appreciate the time you do have much more, so there's that.

Koru7
Koru7
1,408 posts
Nomad

I can't really know. i'm agnostic so i don't know if there's a heaven, or even reincarnation. death freaks me out. if i see a dead bird or body somewhere I would probably turn my head and pretend not to see it because..... idk it's hard to picture something happening to a living thing.

when i die, i would probably want to be reincarnated into another universe. it would be cool.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

It's not really meaningless because, no matter how big or small, you still leave some impression on the world. Also, the fact that you only have one life kind of inspires you to appreciate the time you do have much more, so there's that.

But why does it matter when the world is gone? Once the earth is destroyed your impression only exists in a history that no one knows. If there is no one who cares about it, then what value does it have?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

But why does it matter when the world is gone? Once the earth is destroyed your impression only exists in a history that no one knows. If there is no one who cares about it, then what value does it have?

Why does it necessarily have to have eternal value for someone somewhere? It had value for you while you were alive. You shouldn't worry about anything else.

Life (existence) isn't eternal, anything else would defeat it's importance.
BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

If there is no one who cares about it, then what value does it have?

Why does your life have no value if no one remembers you? Life should be about enjoying yourself, moping that life is pointless is pointless.

The fact that we only have one life is the main reason to live it now.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Why does your life have no value if no one remembers you?

It has value now, just not after I die. Of course by then I'll be dead and I won't care, I'm just saying that the value is going to go away. (yes I know it's obvious.) But that just seems dissapointing. If the purpose of life is to just enjoy it while you can, and a lot of people aren't enjoying it, well....

Question: If you aren't going to enjoy your life anymore, is your life meaningless?

What if you don't enjoy your life, but others do? Then it has meaning to them, but not to you... So.... Does it have meaning?
Annihalation
Annihalation
479 posts
Nomad

You've got less than 36,500 days to live. Use them wisely.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Question: If you aren't going to enjoy your life anymore, is your life meaningless?

Nah, I don't think so. It's of course sad when someone doesn't enjoy his/her life. But that doesn't mean that it suddenly doesn't mean anything. I think people can still reasonably carry on even if one doesn't exactly enjoy it.

What if you don't enjoy your life, but others do? Then it has meaning to them, but not to you... So.... Does it have meaning?

It then obviously has meaning to others.

You've got less than 36,500 days to live. Use them wisely.

And if not, who cares? Feeling a pressure to make the absolute best out of your life will prevent you from doing exactly that.
crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

If I was dying, live on the Oprah show, I would look at the camera and say.... "you're all dying too, you fat sons of *****es!"

Dying is no biggie. The sooner you accept that you're gonna die, the sooner you can move on with your insignificant life.

Cheers!

Annihalation
Annihalation
479 posts
Nomad

Crazyape, Armorgames forums needs a "like" feature lol.

I think that personally instead of wasting your time praying for an uncertain afterlife, you should enjoy the life that you have right now. That way, when you are on your deathbed, you can think "What an adventure."

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Thinking about how you will deal with death is a waste of your thoughts. It will happen and I know where I will be so I do not fear it or think on it much. Fun fact!: Did you know that your DNA is made to kill itself. Even if you could get rid of normal deaths like heart failure and everything eventually you would just fall over dead and nothing can change it?

Thinking on that... why would you waste parts of your life worrying about how it will end?

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

****, I forgot the link of the post, but I saw something on /r/Atheism (yes, Reddit, not 9crap)

It went something like this:

Imagine life like a cliff. You climbed it without fear, knowing that there was a net below and you were harnessed. After a while climbing the cliff, you looked down, only to realise that there was no harness in the first place, nor a net. You had climbed the cliff without help or safety. And that the cliff has no top. You realise that you will eventually stop climbing. Everyone will stop climbing, or fall.

They said it better, but I don't know the name, nor do I have the link. But it's on Reddit. /r/Atheism.

Showing 46-60 of 89