ForumsWEPRGas Prices - Presidency Involved?

17 3221
UnknownShadow
UnknownShadow
132 posts
Blacksmith

The thing about Obama and Clinton is that... They are both promising to "bring the troops home as soon as they get in the office." Well, I see a problem in that. Here is what I foresee in them bringing the troops home:
1. They bring the troops home
2. The MiddleEast is given time to retaliate
3. We get nuked and/or bombed in various ways repeatedly
4. Those of us that survive will suffer economic depression
5. Economic depression will be caused by the fact that the last of our oil and/or gasoline resources will be destroyed in the bombing

Reply to this, leaving your opinions. I'm sorry if some of you don't appeal or agree with this topic. If so, try not to be too harsh in replying. -Thank you

• 17 Replies
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I follow you on first 3. On #4, I would say that this is pretty much happening already. On 5, this could happen, but we don't ONLY get our oil here. We get alot from the Arabian Penninsula.

~Strider~

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

Your analogy falls down around point #2. We get start leaving the middle east alone, they leave us alone. They don't *want* to bomb us back to the stone age, because then who are they going to sell their oil to? They just want our troops off of their soil, and honestly, I can't blame them for it.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, if we leave they will get what they wanted, but they will not let "Operation Desert Storm" go. They may not bomb the crap out of us, but they may do more terroristic acts. And, China is in need of alot of oil. Their economy is developing very fast, and they need oil.

~Strider~

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

They don't *want* to bomb us back to the stone age, because then who are they going to sell their oil to

they do want to bomb us back be cause they are Terrorists

did you know that europe happens to like oil too?
UnknownShadow
UnknownShadow
132 posts
Blacksmith

Along with the china needing oil comment. Involving gasoline, I last found out that the U.S is shipping Diesel fuel to china overseas, which is why it is more overpriced than it should even be as overpriced as normal unleaded is now.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@UnknownShadow: Producers are shipping diesel to China because they are willing to pay more for it than we are. Gas is not overpriced; it is at the highest price suppliers can set it. It's fungible.

@Graham: People become terrorists because they have a goal that they see no other way to achieve. The goal of the middle eastern terrorists is to get the US to stop being involved in their politics. Once there goals are achieved, they stop being terrorists. What, you think suicide bombers are doing it just for kicks?

@Estel: Yes, China wants oil. Are you unfamiliar with Supply/Demand curves? The oil producing nations want to keep Demand HIGH and getting HIGHER. Even if China suddenly starts buying oil like crazy, the ME nations want the US to continue buying oil also, so prices stay high.

UnknownShadow
UnknownShadow
132 posts
Blacksmith

Thanks for the info. kane

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

If we entirely got out of the Middle-East and stopped supporting the genocidal regime in Israel, the Muslim nations in the Middle-East would not hate us. But since every American politician wants to make love to Israel, the US will always support the murderers in Israel.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@thelistman: I agree entirely. The part I can't figure out is why we're supporting Israel. The Jewish vote? That's like two percent of the population. I'm sure a lot more people would vote for someone that brings peace to the middle east and quits spending our tax dollars supporting an oppressive regime.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

I think we should stop looking like a Big Brother nation to other countries. We should sign the cluster bomb treaty and look better than Israel, Russia, China, India, and Pakistan, whom like us are boycotting it. It would be a major step towards relieving Middle East tensions especially if we pull out soon. I agree with Kane, I would support anyone who ants to pull out of the Middle East.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Sorry for the double post I just realized I forgot to post a link to an article about the c-bomb treaty, for anyone who has not heard about it.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i73RTx_Xp2evaqhA-mIfFKizQQVQD9107JE81

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

The whole world revolves around only the important ones. Leaders, Presidents, etc. and their actions are what directly affect our lives. I mean...leaders are chosen to lead the people and if they lead poorly and break out in war, then the people suffer too. gas prices are directly resulting from dispute.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@necromancer: Yea, I can't figure out why the US would oppose that, other than to sell them to other nations. Then again, I may have just answered my own question.

Interestingly, depending on the results of the 2008 election, the US may stop using cluster munitions anyways.
vhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jan/22/hillaryclinton.barackobama

notepad7
notepad7
75 posts
Nomad

But record gas prices were followed by record profits for the oil companys.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@notepad7

...which was also followed by record consumption. Oil companies aren't inflating the price. The world is consuming more oil than it ever has, which links to record prices (supply and demand) and record profits.

Showing 1-15 of 17