ForumsNews and FeedbackEdit Button

16 1856
blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

Have you ever posted something and forgot to add something/Messed up Quotes or something? The edit button would allow you to go back and fix it or add more. I'm basically asking for this feature. Do you all agree?

• 16 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,354 posts

An edit feature has been discussed before, though I'm not sure of the results. Anyway, I would say yes to an edit feature.

jeol
jeol
3,875 posts

I think they had talked about an edit button for a couple minutes after the post, or after you left the page. Five minutes should be all you need to make any necessary changes to your post. I would be up for that.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,370 posts

or after you left the page.

What if you don't catch your embarrassing mistake(s) until you reread it after a few people have replied to it?? O_o

If people only get five minutes to proofread something, they might as well proofread it before they post it! I don't see why more people don't just do that, then we wouldn't have such a demand for this edit button!

But say someone wants to update their opening post rather than put an awkward update in the middle of their thread, why then would it be better to have a time limit on this feature?
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,587 posts

An edit button would be wonderful thing for them to add

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,106 posts

An edit button would be a very smart edition to AG. I'm with it

fantasy4life
fantasy4life
1,920 posts

I also usually see along with the edit feature, usually on the bottom left corner of your post in small letters, a date and time stamp when you last modified your post. This should also be implemented in my opinion.

jeol
jeol
3,875 posts

What if you don't catch your embarrassing mistake(s) until you reread it after a few people have replied to it?

That's the problem in question. Some people just don't know how to proofread, so we give them an edit button. If they can't figure it out by then, oh well.

One thing I remember that was suggested was that OPs could be edited at any time, but replies for the first few minutes, which answers your last question.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,195 posts

One thing I remember that was suggested was that OPs could be edited at any time, but replies for the first few minutes, which answers your last question.

I couldn't be bothered searching, but when there was an active edit button thread, cormyn gave us insight into the reason of *if* there will be an edit button, why it will have a time scale - If an OP makes a thread say in the WERP forum, people reply with a different viewpoint which makes the OP look kind of stupid, they could edit the OP and make everyone look like they're trolling etc.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,537 posts

I couldn't be bothered searching, but when there was an active edit button thread, cormyn gave us insight into the reason of *if* there will be an edit button, why it will have a time scale - If an OP makes a thread say in the WERP forum, people reply with a different viewpoint which makes the OP look kind of stupid, they could edit the OP and make everyone look like they're trolling etc.

Kongregate has an edit button and this doesn't happen often over there. And if it does then the mods deal with it.

I'd rather be able to edit freely rather than a five minute time period.
blk2860
blk2860
10,793 posts

WERP forum

This is the kind of Mistake I'm talking about.
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,091 posts

I really want that for one reason: when you paste stuff from wordpad, it get's all symbol-y. I really hate that and it would be a great idea.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,195 posts

Kongregate has an edit button and this doesn't happen often over there. And if it does then the mods deal with it.

I'd rather be able to edit freely rather than a five minute time period

Oh don't get me wrong. I agree, an edit button would be beautiful. But i believe that's the example cormyn gave.

WERP forum

This is the kind of Mistake I'm talking about.

Meh, if there was an edit button, i wouldn't bother editing the likes of that. Everyone who knows what WEPR forum stands for will gather what the typo WERP means.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,367 posts

Meh, if there was an edit button, i wouldn't bother editing the likes of that. Everyone who knows what WEPR forum stands for will gather what the typo WERP means.

It can be referred to both ways....

Anyway, an edit button would be sweet, provided that the initial text is displayed, for obvious reasons.
ellock
ellock
392 posts

An edit button was discussed before. I think it is not worth it personally, just check your post before you submit it. It would be an extra thing to do. That is not particularly important. After thinking about it I am against an edit button.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,354 posts

An edit button was discussed before. I think it is not worth it personally, just check your post before you submit it. It would be an extra thing to do. That is not particularly important. After thinking about it I am against an edit button.

In some cases, proofreading will cause a user to be ninja'd. An edit button will allow a user to focus on speed and correct the post afterwards. Therefore, I am for an edit button. Sometimes when I make an error, I will correct it in another post and mention the need for an edit button.
Showing 1-15 of 16