Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Learning AS3

Posted May 6, '12 at 5:38pm

NZJoe

NZJoe

1 post

Hiya,
I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but have had no motivation. I tried a couple of years ago but it was quite difficult learning just from internet tutorials. I was thinking the best way would most likely buying a book or similar so I can learn base knowledge. I have Flash CS5.5 Professional to use, but I'm unsure how to start. Is there any tutorials, books etc that you recommend? Or how did you learn?

Thanks

Posted May 10, '12 at 2:14am

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

Essential ActionScript 3.0. Also it's easy to start learning anything. It's like study habits really, if you have problems getting started then just tell yourself I'll just study for 5 mins really hard then I'll stop just for 5 mins. In reality you will probably keep reading since it will be novel information that is interesting and these book have a good continuous flow of information and interesting examples.

You can try project Euler if you have like grade 12 math and you can learn new simple mathematical concepts yourself otherwise just play with the language and most importantly actually try to code things and keep pushing yourself it's not enough you read the book you actually have to apply it.

Posted May 16, '12 at 3:00pm

manny6574

manny6574

935 posts

I wouldn't actually recommend that book for a starter in AS3, as it covers too much detail before you can understand it.

I used Learning ActionScript 3.0. I wanted to do games, so I also used http://www.amazon.com/ActionScript-Game-Programming-University-Edition/dp/0789747324/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337194767&sr=1-1 which uses examples applied to fully functional games. Only lately did I find the Moock book useful for more detailed understanding, and more complex parts of the language.

Posted May 16, '12 at 3:04pm

manny6574

manny6574

935 posts

oops

I also used Flash Game University which uses examples applied to fully functional games. Only lately did I find the Moock book useful for more detailed understanding, and more complex parts of the language.

Posted May 16, '12 at 10:03pm

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

You're absolutely right I linked the wrong book but from my experience on the other hand learning as3 doesn't really have enough content.

Posted May 17, '12 at 3:55pm

manny6574

manny6574

935 posts

yes that's true, but it has enough to cover what you need to move on to the details of Moock's book

Posted May 31, '12 at 1:02am

jasonjie88

jasonjie88

28 posts

AdvancED Actionscript 3.0. It's the sequel to Essential Actionscript 3.0. It teaches how to make isometric worlds, how to make 3D, how to use the Flash Drawing API, integrate advanced physics (including the stuff you find in those games where you chuck stuff around, that's ragdoll physics) and use Pixel Bender. It is an absolutely incredible book. I have only read half of it. You will never get bored of it.

Posted May 31, '12 at 1:07am

jasonjie88

jasonjie88

28 posts

Flash Game University is an okay book. It does teach how to build a fully functional game. To be quite frank, though, it is more of a game instructions manual than a functional Actionscript tutorial/ AS3 textbook. I don't think it would be of great use to a wannabe game developer, particularly one who must introduce new concepts to stun his/her audiences. However, it does build the foundations for the games, although I question some of its methods. I suggest using it with other tutorial books/textbooks.

Posted May 31, '12 at 1:10am

jasonjie88

jasonjie88

28 posts

Flash Game University is an okay book. It does teach how to build a fully functional game. To be quite frank, though, it is more of a game instructions manual than a functional Actionscript tutorial/ AS3 textbook. I don't think it would be of great use to a wannabe game developer, particularly one who must introduce new concepts to stun his/her audiences. However, it does build the foundations for the games, although I question some of its methods. I suggest using it with other tutorial books/textbooks.

Posted May 31, '12 at 3:59pm

Carlytoon

Carlytoon

329 posts

Well, I didnt use any books to learn AS3, but most of the part of my experiencie goes to experimentation. When you learn something (books or tutorials) play with it, I dont know if this is a good learning technique, but I do it and now I have my moderate habilities in AS3.

Another tip is being patient, specialy when you try to learn your first language. Learning a language can took weeks or months.

Another tip is check THIS when you have trouble with something.

Anyway, if you have more questions feel free to ask me :D

Reply to Learning AS3

You must be logged in to post a reply!