ForumsSupport ForumTemporary Notice: HTML Tags:

138 28701
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Greetings community veterans, community newcomers, trouble makers, trouble reporters, religious zealots, religious skeptics, and NoNameC68. If you have not already noticed, you will have come across user profiles and comments/forum posts with differing characteristics than what you're used to. The availability of this new feature is likely due to the previous two updates to the site undergone by the administration. The tags that are used in order to create these new characteristics are formed by HTML code. With HTML code, you can create large fonts, small fonts, strike-throughs, invisibles, and colors in every way imaginable. With HTML code, you can finally get the unique about page and individuality you've dreamed of!

Well keep dreaming.

So the start of it all was smooth sailing, but like flies to dung, it was only a matter of time before users started to abuse the use of HTML code in some way that violates the Terms and Conditions of ArmorGames. It only takes a few instances before those who have to intervene (the moderation team) become disappointed (like me) and have to be the bad guy and ruin the fun. So here are things you need to remember when faced with HTML ideals:

--Do not post HTML colors that are exact or similar to the font of a moderator or administrator (blue, green, and between). This is in line with the rule about impersonation, regardless of whether or not you were intent upon doing so. You should be familiar with this, because this rule has already been in place. Users will be warned then banned as usual.

--Do not post HTML tags that allow you to post images which contain content in violation of the rules. Treat this the same as you would in forum posts and comments. Reprimands vary on severity of image(s).

--Please do not make your font Galaxy Size and end up disfiguring the page. This disables buttons and links on your page such as the submit button on the text box and the Add Friend button. Messages containing BFG 9000 size font will be deleted and multiple messages found will result in warn/ban. Messages containing Apache Chief size font on the user page will be given a warning to take down the image, but if we can't even find the text box to warn you with, then we will warn you with a ban. User who do not take down the text on the about page a while after the first ban will be given another, leading up to a permanent if the user is very stubborn and intent upon keeping the text.

--Users who post in colors, bigger font, etc. on game pages intent on getting their comment noticed for a merit will be ignored.

--The HTML code can (probably) bypass the site censors. You know what happens when we find text with complete swearing.

--HTML that compromises the site and user's interaction with the site in general will be given a lengthy ban (and a permanent if continued without warning).

(more to add if necessary)

-----------------------------------------

This may or may not be a temporary feature of the site. The AG staff may take down the use of this kind of HTML code in the future.

• 138 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Well, we can always assume the staff is going to take the high road and install a way to disable certain codes (colours, size) on the size, the way that some forum sites have a way of disabling signatures for the people who either can't run them very well, or feel a murderous intent rise in their chest whenever they see those signatures.
(Also, please, dearest staff. I know you don't care about me, but please don't include signatures too. Pretty please.)

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

this colourful use of colors is becoming a little annoying if you ask me. Go to someone's profile and get hit with a colorbomb is what happens a lot lately

Yes, I do see that some users design their profile like a bag of Skittles. But if we're to have the color features for HTML coding, we're to have this side effect as well. I don't see a need for all this extra mumbo-jumbo like colors and font sizes but that's just me.

(Also, please, dearest staff. I know you don't care about me, but please don't include signatures too. Pretty please.)

<font size=7>^</font>
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Yes, I do see that some users design their profile like a bag of Skittles.

But that would imply there was some measure of enjoyability to it all.

It hasn't really become common place in the forums, so I don't care. Some of the more repugnant(?) uses of it on profiles happens to be having a solid block of color behind text, but the majority of it is bearable, to say the least.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

It hasn't really become common place in the forums, so I don't care.

HTML in forums is uncommon because some people think that all HTML is not allowed in the forums. As far as I know, this is not true. Here's what I think is allowed on the forums:

1) Any color that is not a shade of blue or green. This would include shades of gray, red, orange, and yellow. Purples and pinks might also be allowed, but I am not certain of this.
2) Any size that is close to normal. If the text is too big, that's a problem and will most likely be deleted.
3) Any font face that can be read. As far as I know, there are no restrictions on font, though symbol fonts would not be readable and therefore should not be included anywhere.

HTML on the forums is never preferred, but if you keep your posts to the above, you will most likely not get banned.

For colors, I will give each color mentioned and say whether it's allowed or not in the forums:

<font color="888888">Gray is allowed.</font>
<font color="FF0000">Red is allowed.</font>
<font color="FF8800">Orange is allowed.</font>
<font color="FFFF00">Yellow is allowed.</font>
<font color="880088">Purple might be allowed.</font>
<font color="FF00FF">Pink might be allowed.</font>
<font color="00FF00">Green is not allowed.</font>
<font color="0000FF">Blue is not allowed.</font>
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Purple might be allowed.
Pink might be allowed.

Why would purple and pink not be allowed if red and orange are allowed?I don't understand how pink, especially that particular shade, could possibly be mistaken for blue or green.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Why would purple and pink not be allowed if red and orange are allowed?I don't understand how pink, especially that particular shade, could possibly be mistaken for blue or green.

When using html, you will be able to change the shade as well. That way, you might happen upon a purple that lies very close to blue, which explains that one.
Pink is just an annoying colour.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

assume the staff is going to take the high road and install a way to disable certain codes

Yes please! Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top!! =D

I mean... what on earth is the use to pick (for example) a bright yellow for a text color and then have an about that's virtually unreadable?! Defeats the purpose of putting something in your about if you ask me? Meh... =/

some users design their profile like a bag of Skittles

LOL Yes, that's the best way to describe how profiles will look if this were to be allowed! LOL

but the majority of it is bearable, to say the least.

Majority... yes, agreed. But, I've seen some profiles that look as if a kid wanted to make a wall painting and decided to throw some paint on it at random! Can't even call that art... =P

Pink is just an annoying colour.

And you just HAD to go and pick on the ONE color I am fond of 'ey Cenere?! (o.O)

Let's just hope that the admins decide to restrict all these unnecessary (and if you aks me, unwanted) color-R-us features and prevent their website to become a circus... and if users really want to enjoy themselves with using color HTML, well... make a thread in the AMW Forum and let them play over there?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

And you just HAD to go and pick on the ONE color I am fond of 'ey Cenere?! (o.O)

It's still an annoying colour. Yellow is an annoying colour too. But I think there might be a bit of a difference anyway, since pink is Danish is a rather bright purplepink, while pink seems to be a light red in English.
Doesn't stop it from being annoying.

Then again, right about all the colours are annoying to look at, when you are expecting something neat and orderly, and get the colour symphony that is the html-abused abouts.
I'll just stick to black.

and if users really want to enjoy themselves with using color HTML, well... make a thread in the AMW Forum and let them play over there?

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT IS IT JUST BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE PINK WHY WOULD YOU BRING THE EYE SORES TO THE AMW???!
Caps and panic aside, stick it to the abouts. Then I don't have to look at it on a regular basis. If it got popular to use colours in the forums, I don't know what I would do. Something bad, probably, and including neon colours.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

It's still an annoying colour. Yellow is an annoying colour too. But I think there might be a bit of a difference anyway, since pink is Danish is a rather bright purplepink, while pink seems to be a light red in English.
Doesn't stop it from being annoying.

i dont find pink annoying. i dislike some shades of pink and really like others. yellow on the other hand is very annoying since its almost impossible to read it without highlighting it like in patricks comment
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I mean in general. There are just colours that should keep themselves out of human reach. Yellow and pink are ones, neon colours are as well. They might look nice, but humanity ruins them.

What I actually think should be completely disallowed is to use white text. It obviously invites to some abuse of the feature, and what is the reason behind having text that you can't see...

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

It obviously invites to some abuse of the feature

I can't see it being used as anything short of playful... and everything would still be censored, so it isn't like they could hide anything in the text.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I can't see it being used as anything short of playful... and everything would still be censored, so it isn't like they could hide anything in the text.

[quote]I can easily see it be used for writing something along the lines of "[User] s a hacker, and he should die in hell after his [violent description not containing censored words], and the mods are [description that contains words that circumvent the censor] so [swear] you all!!" You know, exactly like some users are doing now on their abouts or in the forums or in comments to each other sometimes, except this will be a lot harder to catch onto, because it is written with a white text, and is thus entirely invisible for anyone that doesn't bother checking or people that are not aware it is there.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

They might look nice, but humanity ruins them.

And THAT right there is the whole problem if you ask me... give people some room (carefully read: some room) to fool around with some colored text and before you know it the whole website looks like a paintball tournament went A.W.O.L.!! (o.O)

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT IS IT JUST BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE PINK WHY WOULD YOU BRING THE EYE SORES TO THE AMW???!

LOL Forgive me Cenere... I just couldn't resist poking your one and only weak spot for a moment there! Ahem... =P
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

As long as you aren't using it like a highstrung 12 year old girl, it should be fine.

<font color="3300CC">Hmmmm...I hope I'm allowed to use this color. Anyway, I don't do anything like a hungstrung 12 year old girl. So, I suppose I have nothing to fear. He,he...</font>
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

<font color="FF4400">Am I allowed to post in the forums using the color purple? I need to know this!!!! I don't want to break the rules or anything! And purple is my favorite color!!</font>

Showing 46-60 of 138