ForumsSupport ForumTemporary Notice: HTML Tags:

138 28706
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Greetings community veterans, community newcomers, trouble makers, trouble reporters, religious zealots, religious skeptics, and NoNameC68. If you have not already noticed, you will have come across user profiles and comments/forum posts with differing characteristics than what you're used to. The availability of this new feature is likely due to the previous two updates to the site undergone by the administration. The tags that are used in order to create these new characteristics are formed by HTML code. With HTML code, you can create large fonts, small fonts, strike-throughs, invisibles, and colors in every way imaginable. With HTML code, you can finally get the unique about page and individuality you've dreamed of!

Well keep dreaming.

So the start of it all was smooth sailing, but like flies to dung, it was only a matter of time before users started to abuse the use of HTML code in some way that violates the Terms and Conditions of ArmorGames. It only takes a few instances before those who have to intervene (the moderation team) become disappointed (like me) and have to be the bad guy and ruin the fun. So here are things you need to remember when faced with HTML ideals:

--Do not post HTML colors that are exact or similar to the font of a moderator or administrator (blue, green, and between). This is in line with the rule about impersonation, regardless of whether or not you were intent upon doing so. You should be familiar with this, because this rule has already been in place. Users will be warned then banned as usual.

--Do not post HTML tags that allow you to post images which contain content in violation of the rules. Treat this the same as you would in forum posts and comments. Reprimands vary on severity of image(s).

--Please do not make your font Galaxy Size and end up disfiguring the page. This disables buttons and links on your page such as the submit button on the text box and the Add Friend button. Messages containing BFG 9000 size font will be deleted and multiple messages found will result in warn/ban. Messages containing Apache Chief size font on the user page will be given a warning to take down the image, but if we can't even find the text box to warn you with, then we will warn you with a ban. User who do not take down the text on the about page a while after the first ban will be given another, leading up to a permanent if the user is very stubborn and intent upon keeping the text.

--Users who post in colors, bigger font, etc. on game pages intent on getting their comment noticed for a merit will be ignored.

--The HTML code can (probably) bypass the site censors. You know what happens when we find text with complete swearing.

--HTML that compromises the site and user's interaction with the site in general will be given a lengthy ban (and a permanent if continued without warning).

(more to add if necessary)

-----------------------------------------

This may or may not be a temporary feature of the site. The AG staff may take down the use of this kind of HTML code in the future.

• 138 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I'm not going into responding to your reply post right now, but I do want to add that when you clearly state that 'HTML use is not allowed in the forums' in the other (HTML tutorial) thread, it clearly contradicts your own argument on how users should not abuse it, but use it correctly.

I think you shot yourself in the foot there...

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

You've just implied that older users are more likely to be against HTML than newer users.

Where did he imply that, exactly? As far as I can see, he is just stating for how long he has been on the site, and what mod-related observations he has made during that time.

There is no proof that what I did was against the rules, but I took it down because I don't think it's worth a possible ban to let people know who's against HTML.

As far as I am aware, it is against the rules to put up individual user names in a negative context anywhere. Labelling us as opponents of HTML on a profile made out of HTML, is like putting up a hit list. It could potentially blow up in your face, if someone saw it this way, and decided to start harassing us based on your list and labelling.

OK. At least you're not resorting to account suicide to fight HTML.

Because flaming and breaking the rules is the perfect way to get banned, I mean, fight HTML.

HTML is an interesting, albeit slightly outdated coding. I wouldn't mind it as much, if it wasn't because of the amount of people that have no idea what they are doing. And with no proper, unified rules from the staff's side, it will continue to be a horrible idea, in my opinion.
ARJUN071
ARJUN071
230 posts
Nomad

I thought images weren't allowed on about pages but I saw some images on some one's profile.He was using marquee HTML code for it I guess.

This is the guy's profile

So we can use it using marquee codes??

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

So we can use it using marquee codes?

As long as it's appropriate and doesn't break the profile you can do whatever you want.
megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

YO! What's wrong with my page? That isn't wrong. And what is wrong with the pictures of games? Those are not inappropriate. I don't understand why you think my page is 'inappropriate'.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

There is nothing wrong with your page, it was merely used as an example to illustrate a point, in this case whether images were allowed on the profile or not.
And the answer is "Yes, if the images are appropriate".

Nothing in particular is wrong with the images on your profile.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

And the answer is "Yes, if the images are appropriate".

I'm sure ArmorGames won't mind having featured 4 out of the top5 games in his about... maybe complain about the # 1 spot being taken by someone outside ArmorGames at most! LOL

Nothing in particular is wrong with the images on your profile.

You are very clever in your political ways of stating it Cenere, but I like to put some more emphasis on it and state that it's not wrong 'in particular', but completely... images should not be scrolling a person's about next to the advertisements there already are. Before you know it, the website loads like those other gaming websites that throw a dumpster full of colors, flashes, moving parts and bling over your head, calling it advertisements and 'fun'! Well, maybe a lot of bunnies visit there... =P
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Well, this is when we abandon them completely and ignore their existence. It works really well.

nebmas
nebmas
154 posts
Shepherd

Well this HTML thing, I played around with it a bit on various programs and you could I think literally put another game within armor games. In fact set the programming to like the background and then you could change your page on AG to have like amazon website in the background or something. And there actually, if you search around, a lot of websites that say copy this html into your website People can take things and and just put them into their about. And there is a way that HTML can be used for spamming in a rather harsh way because it will cover up the user doing it so they will not get banned. This is correct because I temporarily ran the coding to see if it would work and it did. You would be able to spam someones account in effect and they would not know who was doing it. So this HTML can get out of hand like loads. I have not read this thread through so I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it. There is a lot more that HTML can be used for. But it is fairly ''out of date'' However I think it could be controlled with a set of coding similar to ''sandboxing''.

What do you think and can people tell me more on this????

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Well this HTML thing, I played around with it a bit on various programs and you could I think literally put another game within armor games. In fact set the programming to like the background and then you could change your page on AG to have like amazon website in the background or something. And there actually, if you search around, a lot of websites that say copy this html into your website People can take things and and just put them into their about. And there is a way that HTML can be used for spamming in a rather harsh way because it will cover up the user doing it so they will not get banned. This is correct because I temporarily ran the coding to see if it would work and it did. You would be able to spam someones account in effect and they would not know who was doing it. So this HTML can get out of hand like loads. I have not read this thread through so I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it. There is a lot more that HTML can be used for. But it is fairly ''out of date'' However I think it could be controlled with a set of coding similar to ''sandboxing''.

Surely the admins would perma-ban anyone using HTML in such a way and delete the HTML comment/post if the offense is not in the about. Therefore, you should not give people any ideas. Besides, one of the rules covers what you're saying, which is this:

--HTML that compromises the site and user's interaction with the site in general will be given a lengthy ban (and a permanent if continued without warning).

It's covered in the rules, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides, the admins should have a way to disable HTML if people become too abusive with it.
nebmas
nebmas
154 posts
Shepherd

Hmm well I'm not trying to give people ideas but I guess I should have thought of that. Anyways, I'm not sure how far people can go with the HTML and I know there is a rule against any misuse of it but people can still do it and cause damage before they get found out and banned. They will only be banned if they have already done something wrong.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Hmm well I'm not trying to give people ideas but I guess I should have thought of that. Anyways, I'm not sure how far people can go with the HTML and I know there is a rule against any misuse of it but people can still do it and cause damage before they get found out and banned. They will only be banned if they have already done something wrong.

But I think the admins should be able to fix the damage done, so any such rule break would only affect the site temporarily, and the admins could disable HTML if needed.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Mvp1234 put Pacman on his profile. I think this is related to the recent discussions in this thread.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

A user never being discovered while doing something wrong is not something to cheer at, albeit a clever way of working around the 'authorities' (getting a raised eyebrow at most for recognition), it's still illegal and unwanted, therefor not preferable...

Let's just say that we should be really REALLY lucky that up to this point nobody has had the utterly rotten idea of damaging this website purely for his personal fun and games... and I hope no-one ever will in the future...

But I think the admins should be able to fix the damage done, so any such rule break would only affect the site temporarily, and the admins could disable HTML if needed.

Everybody speaks about this so lightheartedly, it almost sickens me... has anyone EVER considered the mountain of work it brings to the mods and admins when allowing this to continue being used?!

Look at it this way... what if an animal/your pet has 'had an accident' in your livingroom? You can clean it up without much fuss and you wouldn't notice it was there afterwards... right?
Well, imagine you walking into your livingroom knee-deep (or worse) in a massive 'accident'... then you could shovel it all out and it would be a nasty job to do, but not impossible, right?
The stench however... will last a REAL long time if not cleaned properly with use of the right (expensive) products!

That is (how I personally think) that mods and admins look at the topic, however... I can't speak for them, even though I just sort of did... so it's my opinion of things, not anyone else's, ok? Just to be clear on that...

And I actually think Cenere was lucky to get out alive before the sh*t storm hit the fan!
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I think everyone else should feel even luckier I decided to resign, rather than stay with all the other stuff happening irl as well.

As for the "You can't ban them for ruining the site, if they haven't done anything else wrong": The Terms and Conditions state you are not allowed to mess with the site, the users there, the staff or the mods. Basically, people have been banned for changing the "[User] is a [age] [gender] from [country]" to anything out of the normal. Without having done anything else wrong.
It's part of the TaC, if that is broken, you are not a long way away from a permanent ban, IP ban, and if I was in charge, a talk with your internet provider or local authority, so they might be able to explain why it's effing stupid to ruin someone else's income.

And this is why I am not an admin.

Showing 91-105 of 138