ForumsSupport ForumTemporary Notice: HTML Tags:

138 28630
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Greetings community veterans, community newcomers, trouble makers, trouble reporters, religious zealots, religious skeptics, and NoNameC68. If you have not already noticed, you will have come across user profiles and comments/forum posts with differing characteristics than what you're used to. The availability of this new feature is likely due to the previous two updates to the site undergone by the administration. The tags that are used in order to create these new characteristics are formed by HTML code. With HTML code, you can create large fonts, small fonts, strike-throughs, invisibles, and colors in every way imaginable. With HTML code, you can finally get the unique about page and individuality you've dreamed of!

Well keep dreaming.

So the start of it all was smooth sailing, but like flies to dung, it was only a matter of time before users started to abuse the use of HTML code in some way that violates the Terms and Conditions of ArmorGames. It only takes a few instances before those who have to intervene (the moderation team) become disappointed (like me) and have to be the bad guy and ruin the fun. So here are things you need to remember when faced with HTML ideals:

--Do not post HTML colors that are exact or similar to the font of a moderator or administrator (blue, green, and between). This is in line with the rule about impersonation, regardless of whether or not you were intent upon doing so. You should be familiar with this, because this rule has already been in place. Users will be warned then banned as usual.

--Do not post HTML tags that allow you to post images which contain content in violation of the rules. Treat this the same as you would in forum posts and comments. Reprimands vary on severity of image(s).

--Please do not make your font Galaxy Size and end up disfiguring the page. This disables buttons and links on your page such as the submit button on the text box and the Add Friend button. Messages containing BFG 9000 size font will be deleted and multiple messages found will result in warn/ban. Messages containing Apache Chief size font on the user page will be given a warning to take down the image, but if we can't even find the text box to warn you with, then we will warn you with a ban. User who do not take down the text on the about page a while after the first ban will be given another, leading up to a permanent if the user is very stubborn and intent upon keeping the text.

--Users who post in colors, bigger font, etc. on game pages intent on getting their comment noticed for a merit will be ignored.

--The HTML code can (probably) bypass the site censors. You know what happens when we find text with complete swearing.

--HTML that compromises the site and user's interaction with the site in general will be given a lengthy ban (and a permanent if continued without warning).

(more to add if necessary)

-----------------------------------------

This may or may not be a temporary feature of the site. The AG staff may take down the use of this kind of HTML code in the future.

• 138 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Do not post HTML colors that are exact or similar to the font of a moderator or administrator (blue, green, and between)

So no shades of blue or green are allowed in the abouts, or just a certain array of colors are against the rules? If the latter, can there be a list of color codes somewhere that are not allowed?

--Please do not make your font Galaxy Size and end up disfiguring the page.

Size limit...? I don't believe it will accept anything higher than 20, and text that size doesn't seem to be a problem.

--Users who post in colors, bigger font, etc. on game pages intent on getting their comment noticed for a merit will be ignored.

Is there a rule against using colors far from blue or green in comments so you won't lose them?

What about just coloring certain words rather than the entire text?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

[quote]--Please do not make your font Galaxy Size and end up disfiguring the page.

Size limit...? I don't believe it will accept anything higher than 20, and text that size doesn't seem to be a problem.[/quote]

KentyBK has <font size=5>HUGE<font size=2> text on his about. I think this is what Freakenstein means by Galaxy Size. Here's a link to his profile.

[quote]--Users who post in colors, bigger font, etc. on game pages intent on getting their comment noticed for a merit will be ignored.

Is there a rule against using colors far from blue or green in comments so you won't lose them?[/quote]

The rule you quoted only means that the use of HTML will result in your comment not earning a merit.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

So should I change my green that is on my about to some other color? I have a few different ones so I think it is obvious that I am not an admin. And sorry to be a spoil sport here but the rules say to use no color. So I think you should put in there a rule about only using colors on the 'about'.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

KentyBK has HUGE text on his about

Holy...

And there's an image that violates the rules in there too! It's like he purposely took every precaution to do everything you're NOT supposed to do! xD

The rule you quoted only means that the use of HTML will result in your comment not earning a merit.

Well, that's fine. I have no intention of writing detailed-enough comments that could be deemed worthy of a merit, HTML or not.

I have a few different ones so I think it is obvious that I am not an admin

It also doesn't say on your page anywhere that you're an admin, nor do any admins use green font on their about page. So I think it should be allowed unless it's very close to the exact color admins use.

And sorry to be a spoil sport here but the rules say to use no color.

Isn't the rule only against posting images of colored text?
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

So no shades of blue or green are allowed in the abouts, or just a certain array of colors are against the rules? If the latter, can there be a list of color codes somewhere that are not allowed?

Any shades of blue and green in posting.

So should I change my green that is on my about to some other color?

About pages shouldn't be a problem. Posts and comments are where users may not realize you are a higher authority, because you can view comments as a whole and the font color will disappear, and so there is a rule on that to prevent impersonation. At least on the about page it will tell you if you are a moderator or administrator.

And sorry to be a spoil sport here but the rules say to use no color. So I think you should put in there a rule about only using colors on the 'about'.

That's what I did.

Isn't the rule only against posting images of colored text?

And now HTML text in similar/exact color, since users are now able to make tagged text.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

So... this is just a "no" on AG3, or...?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

This has nothing to do with AG3 and is irrelevant to its release.

acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

This has nothing to do with AG3 and is irrelevant to its release.

But wouldn't you think recent changes on AG2 and absolutely no response from the admins mean that these are tested add-ons to AG3?
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I just want to point out two problems.

1) I cant seem to place more than one line break, which makes spacing things impossible. It doesn't let me do this with enter or the HTML tag. Im pretty sure this is related to this update

2) It still says "no HTML" under biography in the control panel :3

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

anyone can make a guide to this? i doubt i will use this but it does sound interesting.

With this official note of Freakenstein this term is imo "out of order" (maybe only temporary, if there to much users that break the rules or get out of control (like this KentyBK guy... :facepalm they maybe carve that rule in stone^^)

i wonder if you can break a rule before the rule is made because that was created BEFORE the rules of HTML were created.

honestly, i can see myself experimenting with this, breaking a rule by mistake and then getting banned before i even have an opportunity to fix it XD
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

anyone can make a guide to this? i doubt i will use this but it does sound interesting.

This. And here's some stuff I was testing, it all works in the about. Just replace what's already there with what you want.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Ill put one together of all the useful and working tags after school today.
fourcylinder
fourcylinder
6 posts
Peasant

I think you guys were so right to ban that KentyBK guy, what he did was ridiculous! Everyone should conform to the norms of the website, if anyone tries to be different then ANARCHY is born! Thank you guys for defending the site!

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I think you guys were so right to ban that KentyBK guy, what he did was ridiculous! Everyone should conform to the norms of the website, if anyone tries to be different then ANARCHY is born! Thank you guys for defending the site!

How do you know KentyBK is banned (I assume a temp-ban since I can still see his profile)?
fourcylinder
fourcylinder
6 posts
Peasant

How do you know KentyBK is banned (I assume a temp-ban since I can still see his profile)?

He HAS to be banned cause all evildoers get banned, and as has been well established, he is a perpetrator of the utmost evil! His flashy gifs and galaxy sized font are a scar on the face of this beautiful website.
Showing 1-15 of 138