ForumsSupport ForumTemporary Notice: HTML Tags:

138 28696
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Greetings community veterans, community newcomers, trouble makers, trouble reporters, religious zealots, religious skeptics, and NoNameC68. If you have not already noticed, you will have come across user profiles and comments/forum posts with differing characteristics than what you're used to. The availability of this new feature is likely due to the previous two updates to the site undergone by the administration. The tags that are used in order to create these new characteristics are formed by HTML code. With HTML code, you can create large fonts, small fonts, strike-throughs, invisibles, and colors in every way imaginable. With HTML code, you can finally get the unique about page and individuality you've dreamed of!

Well keep dreaming.

So the start of it all was smooth sailing, but like flies to dung, it was only a matter of time before users started to abuse the use of HTML code in some way that violates the Terms and Conditions of ArmorGames. It only takes a few instances before those who have to intervene (the moderation team) become disappointed (like me) and have to be the bad guy and ruin the fun. So here are things you need to remember when faced with HTML ideals:

--Do not post HTML colors that are exact or similar to the font of a moderator or administrator (blue, green, and between). This is in line with the rule about impersonation, regardless of whether or not you were intent upon doing so. You should be familiar with this, because this rule has already been in place. Users will be warned then banned as usual.

--Do not post HTML tags that allow you to post images which contain content in violation of the rules. Treat this the same as you would in forum posts and comments. Reprimands vary on severity of image(s).

--Please do not make your font Galaxy Size and end up disfiguring the page. This disables buttons and links on your page such as the submit button on the text box and the Add Friend button. Messages containing BFG 9000 size font will be deleted and multiple messages found will result in warn/ban. Messages containing Apache Chief size font on the user page will be given a warning to take down the image, but if we can't even find the text box to warn you with, then we will warn you with a ban. User who do not take down the text on the about page a while after the first ban will be given another, leading up to a permanent if the user is very stubborn and intent upon keeping the text.

--Users who post in colors, bigger font, etc. on game pages intent on getting their comment noticed for a merit will be ignored.

--The HTML code can (probably) bypass the site censors. You know what happens when we find text with complete swearing.

--HTML that compromises the site and user's interaction with the site in general will be given a lengthy ban (and a permanent if continued without warning).

(more to add if necessary)

-----------------------------------------

This may or may not be a temporary feature of the site. The AG staff may take down the use of this kind of HTML code in the future.

• 138 Replies
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I posted the tutorial here. A few bits got screwed up the first time, so if a mod can delete the thread that doesn't have [fixed] after it, that would be appreciated.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

KentyBK has HUGE text on his about. I think this is what Freakenstein means by Galaxy Size. Here's a link to his profile.
indeed he does have galaxy sized font and to top that off he has a picture with the F-bomb in it, and i couldn't find the submit box because it was hidden
fourcylinder
fourcylinder
6 posts
Peasant

indeed he does have galaxy sized font and to top that off he has a picture with the F-bomb in it, and i couldn't find the submit box because it was hidden

I know! It is just like I was saying, complete ANARCHY! We can't have stuff like that! People need to be able to add other people as friends and post things on other peoples profiles! This is why I am glad he got temp-banned cause otherwise other people may have tried to do it, then no one would be able to make new friends on AG etc! Whoever reported him and whoever took the action to ban him really helped us dodge a bullet!
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

It is just like I was saying, complete ANARCHY! We can't have stuff like that!

No, the reason we can't have that is because we have never had html coding to use. All the good behaviour and customs has been removed when something as - innovative and new has been introduced, the same way all civilised manners are removed from a group of kids on a playground if given supersoakers, or the way everyone became impolite when the smartphone became the newest trend.
People simply ignore all common sense and start using ALL the html because they can, and not because they need it.

And perhaps because of this, most regulars tended to go against the suggestions of anything but underline and spoiler/coding codes for the purposes of the forums (and for a very clear reason said that images should not be displayed in abouts and that signatures were rubbish). It gets horrendous to look at, and the very charm of these forums, besides the compelling userbase, is the simplicity of the design.

In risk of sounding like an old man, we didn't need any of this back in 2008, and we don't need it now. What we had was fine.
But, I guess, if they really plan on revolutionising the forums and the site (which they better do, considering the changes), it is better to import it now to get people used to it, rather than launching a site with a bunch of new stuff that will confuse the users.
If they then bothered to write a thread like this themselves, so we had any idea of what the rules are and what had changed, well... Of course, Frank might be the spokesdwarf here, but it would still be nice with more of that ever absent communication rather than stuff just appearing at random.
Especially since I don't think the rules have been changed about any of this.
After all, the coloured-text-image thing was added because it might give the wrong impressions, no matter the colour, the inability to not post images to the about was there for a reason as well, in particular to make sure people were not posting obscene images that could not be deleted without the help of an admin.

Either way, I would still rather that they fixed the problems they have, instead of creating new ones by being innovative, but I guess all this could just be seen as me being grumpy that I never got that recommendation I asked for.
But well, off topic and all.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I know! It is just like I was saying, complete ANARCHY! We can't have stuff like that! People need to be able to add other people as friends and post things on other peoples profiles! This is why I am glad he got temp-banned cause otherwise other people may have tried to do it, then no one would be able to make new friends on AG etc! Whoever reported him and whoever took the action to ban him really helped us dodge a bullet!

The temp-ban cannot be proven unless a mod says that KentyBK is temp-banned, so all you're doing is pretending that he is temp-banned. However, we do know that KentyBK is not perma-banned since his profile does not result in a 404.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

The temp-ban cannot be proven unless a mod says that KentyBK is temp-banned, so all you're doing is pretending that he is temp-banned.

Some of us talk to him outside of AG.
acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

Some of us talk to him outside of AG.

Either way, just log out, type in his username (you don't need his password), and see if a temp-ban notice comes up. That's how I figure it out all the time...
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Either way, just log out, type in his username (you don't need his password), and see if a temp-ban notice comes up. That's how I figure it out all the time...

Matrix said they fixed that glitch.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

The temp-ban cannot be proven unless a mod says that KentyBK is temp-banned, so all you're doing is pretending that he is temp-banned. However, we do know that KentyBK is not perma-banned since his profile does not result in a 404.

hmmm... him telling us isnt prove? and the rules also say that those who canot be warned because they cant post on their profile will get tep-banned. it also says that those who were banned will have to change their font and his font didnt change.

also do notice how he did this BEFORE the rules existed and i doubt none of the mods did anything about it ESPACIALLY since people already talked about in every page of this thread.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

also do notice how he did this BEFORE the rules existed

He has violated a long-standing rule in image-in-biography form, so no, he did not worm out of the clarification.

and i doubt none of the mods did anything about it ESPACIALLY since people already talked about in every page of this thread.

Your faith in us is vast.
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

Am I all set? The only colors I used on my About are purple and red. Is that okay? Or am I breaking the rules?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Am I all set? The only colors I used on my About are purple and red. Is that okay? Or am I breaking the rules?

There are no color restrictions on the about. However, blue and green are not allowed in posts or comments.
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

Oh, oh, good. I can use whatever colors I want on my about.
Hey, what if I want to post comments in different colors?
Am I allowed to? If so, what colors can I use and what colors
are not allowed?

acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

Hey, what if I want to post comments in different colors?
Am I allowed to? If so, what colors can I use and what colors
are not allowed?

As long as you aren't using it like a highstrung 12 year old girl, it should be fine. You can use red as a bold or a warning, stuff like that.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

To be honest... this colourful use of colors is becoming a little annoying if you ask me. Go to someone's profile and get hit with a colorbomb is what happens a lot lately... (o.O) ...no need for a caleidoscope anymore! =P

I think it should be disabled and acted upon whenever it is misused... or maybe they should add a button that allows you to view a person's profile in 'standard mode', that would ease things a bit for the eyes...

Showing 31-45 of 138