ForumsWEPRIs Obama a good president?

242 62501
AgileCaribou
AgileCaribou
10 posts
Nomad

What has he done to help/hurt this country? I want to start getting into politics and I think it would be best to first understand what our current president has done to our country so I can learn from the next one. Please help me with as much information as you can.

• 242 Replies
RomecoolR
RomecoolR
1 posts
Nomad

No!

gep3000
gep3000
4 posts
Nomad

do you like obama?

CaptainCorps
CaptainCorps
20 posts
Nomad

**** monkey in office D:

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

**** monkey in office D:

Funny. Cause Bush was the monkey.

http://hapkh.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/bush_monkey3.gif
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Funny. Cause Bush was the monkey.

That. Is the best family photo album ever. ;P
GreatestSoloEver
GreatestSoloEver
1,361 posts
Nomad

He's not a bad president. You can't please everybody. :/

No offense but half of you are REALLY freaking dumb. Haha

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

rofl on the pics, guys!

I've not read a single one of your posts. It's not that I'm lazy it's just I'm not in a patient mood today AND this site is still so glitcheee I'm not sure this comment will post anyway....

Obama is a politician! He is no better or worse than any other president when it comes to his "open door" policies and speeches to "we the people"...
We may not like some of his business practices and we may not agree on a lot of his policies but those don't make him a BAD president.

Here's wajor's description of a bad president:
Declares war of any type without consulting congress
Adopts policies without consulting congress
Raises taxes without telling "we the people"
Imprisons congressional members and US judges because they disagree with presidential policies unless after war has been legally begun.

I'm sure I could think of many others to add but these are my top four.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

The Chamber of Commerce is actually trying to help the United States economy.

What have they done yet to help the economy?

Some other points you bring up are encompassed in the unfairness of life. Those who have studied diligently as children go into good schools, go to good colleges and then go to good jobs

It has always been like that way but before the weasels moved their factories to China, everyone had a job (education or not)so the economy was working normally. The poor guy works, have money to spend, spends it at the restaurant, the restaurant owner makes money, etc, so the money stays in the country. Now only those rich *******s are pocketing the money, no one else.
CaptainCorps
CaptainCorps
20 posts
Nomad

OBAMA IS A MONKEY BUSH IS A MONKEY AND COMMUNISM IS A TRUE GOVERNMENT

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

It has always been like that way but before the weasels moved their factories to China, everyone had a job (education or not)so the economy was working normally. The poor guy works, have money to spend, spends it at the restaurant, the restaurant owner makes money, etc, so the money stays in the country. Now only those rich *******s are pocketing the money, no one else.

This is probably one of the few situations that taxes can solve. Taxes should be raised on all imports so that they stay roughly the same price (Or higher) as all products made in the country so that the money is encouraged to stay in the country and not go out.

COMMUNISM IS A TRUE GOVERNMENT

Communism, for the most part has always failed through corruption. People like power more than a well-oiled country.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

This is probably one of the few situations that taxes can solve. Taxes should be raised on all imports so that they stay roughly the same price (Or higher) as all products made in the country so that the money is encouraged to stay in the country and not go out.

this will work for a few businesses that are only working on the usa market and import their good from china.
but big companys that sell realy good worldwide are not likely to stop their china production. in the extreem they would most likely stop selling their products in the usa because of crazy import prices.

COMMUNISM IS A TRUE GOVERNMENT

communism is a true ideology. but doesn't work as good as democracy in reality.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Protectionism in the form of tariffs is a horrible idea. It didn't work in the 1930s, and it won't work now.

http://welkerswikinomics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/tariff-graph-1.jpeg

D domestic represents the domestic demand for let's say, computers, and S domestic represents the domestic supply of computers. In the absence of trade, the domestic equilibrium price and quantity of computers is PE and QE respectively.

When the country is open to foreign trade, it faces a perfectly elastic world supply for computers S World. That is, any country can import as many computers as she wants at the prevailing world price, P1. Note that domestic producers cannot charge a price above P1 as consumers can easily switch to cheaper imports.

With free trade and at price P1, domestic consumers will demand OQ3 of computers, of which OQ1 is supplied by domestic producers and the remainder Q1Q3 imported from other countries.

Free trade thus lowers the domestic price of computers from PE to PW[Also known as P1 on the diagram]; consumers are better off as they are able to consume more at a lower price. Under free trade, domestic producers are selling fewer units (QE to Q1) at a lower price. Under free trade, domestic producers are adversely affected by foreign competition. Industry sales and profits fall and unemployment increases.

To protect the home industry, the government levies a specific tariff on computer imports, thus raising the supply curve from Sworld to S World +Tariff. [This is your plan, and that of so many other people who are afraid of foreign competition, because they cannot compete with it.]

The price now increases from P1 to PT. At PT, domestic production increases from 0Q1 to 0Q2; domestic buyers are buying fewer computers, from OQ2 to OQ4. The tariff has caused a fall in the amount of imports from Q1Q3 to Q2Q4. Since the price is higher after the tariff, consumers are worse off compared to having free trade as consumer surplus is reduced. [An economic measure of consumer satisfaction, which is calculated by analyzing the difference between what consumers are willing to pay for a good or service relative to its market price. A consumer surplus occurs when the consumer is willing to pay more for a given product than the current market price. ]

Triangle X represents the effect arising from the decrease in consumption resulting from the decrease in consumption due to the high price brought on by tariff protection. It is a deadweight loss to society. [The costs to society created by market inefficiency. Mainly used in economics, deadweight loss can be applied to any deficiency caused by an inefficient allocation of resources.]

The consumers are the ones who lose the most, due to increased prices.

Tariffs are an incredibly moronic way of dealing with the current problem. Much of why America's companies are leaving to set up overseas is due to the inefficiency back home. Foreign countries have a comparative advantage due to their labour, which translates to lower costs of production, and hence lower prices (good for consumers like YOU), and increased profit (Good for producers). The fundamental problem is that America just isn't as competitive as before.

Furthermore, slapping on tariffs will just lead to other nations slapping on tariffs, and suddenly we're back in the dark years of the 1930s.

Furthermore, it's still worth it for producers to produce outside of America, where wages are sky high, since after all, you can't be that thick in thinking that only Americans consume such imports right? Producers sell their goods to other nations as well hence it still makes economic sense to keep production outside.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

The consumers are the ones who lose the most, due to increased prices.

That's the typical excuse these companies use. If everybody could work,they could afford the products even though they'd cost more because they would have money to spend in the US.
As a compromise to bring back the jobs in the US, people would have to work for less but at least they would work.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Honestly he is not a good president, but he is not a horrible one either. I think in the future he will just be one of those presidents that people will forget about as in they will not know what he did. I guess he will be remembered as the first black president but will that make him great, no. But he is not horrible either, just a meh president.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

he sucks hes terruble and does not listen to the american people and i understand he had to take over after bush but still lets face it he shoulda been born a communist

Showing 76-90 of 242