gamerkid20

gamerkid20

2 posts

can you teach me i am very inrested in learning how to program

Posted Jul 13, '12 at 1:10pm

manny6574

manny6574

935 posts

I don't have the money for CS5 or CS6 but I've been using it for years now.... :/

Posted Jul 13, '12 at 6:03pm

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

Sorry for the delay just had midterms.

So I hear, Flash has a lower learning curve than most other languages. And you can start by directly coding to the stage which is what most beginner programmers do. Most programmers do not do this as it is messy. However, I have to admit it helps you get to grips with the language.

Flash is the program actionscript 3 is the language that is used. I would say it is intermediate or intermediate low on the "hardness" scale. I wouldn't say many programmers program on a stage, I personally wouldn't program on the stage either you can import or whatever it is called in flash,the as3 files and probably build a directory with packages like that.

Darkroot,
When are the classes scheduled? I'd be willing to answer questions and assist with the classes depending on the time-frame and workload

Soonish, about 4-5 people have registered and I'm waiting for a bit more since I know at least a third will vanish before it starts and a bit afterwards. I'll probably wait a week and a half before I start.

Ever thought about actionscript 3.0 and flash?

I did and I decided against it, most people here don't have a large sum of money so I decided to use only free resources like the book and the language. Granted we could work with flex an as3 but I think java would be more useful in the end.

Also I guess I can announce that we will be using Eclipse as the development environment. It is a bit confusing but it is by far the best free development environment in general. Haven't decided on a book but it will also be a free resource.

I don't have the money for CS5 or CS6 but I've been using it for years now.... :/

I think I have a space unity key somewhere when they were giving it away for free. You can have it if you want.

Posted Jul 14, '12 at 5:42am

manny6574

manny6574

935 posts

Hey what sort of toolset of programming languages would be good for an all-round programmer?

Posted Jul 14, '12 at 5:10pm

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

I don't know, it depends on what you are doing it's not like there is only one type of programmer. I would say html/css/javascript, python, java, C++ is pretty standard knowledge base. For web dev you will need html 5 (depends), php/mysql. A student will probably encounter C, a purely functional language like Haskell and assembly maybe mathlab and VHDL. With addition to two more langaguges.

Posted Jul 15, '12 at 1:34pm

manny6574

manny6574

935 posts

Well, probably not web developer type. More like software engineer or game programmer

Posted Jul 15, '12 at 2:31pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

797 posts

I would prefer game, but software coding seems interesting. Not interested in web developing though.

Posted Jul 15, '12 at 3:34pm

KentyBK

KentyBK

556 posts

Well, probably not web developer type. More like software engineer or game programmer

I would prefer game, but software coding seems interesting. Not interested in web developing though.

Keep in mind that games ARE software, albeit slightly more complex. So if you really want to get into game programming, you will need to get comfortable with basic programming concepts first, then slowly work yourself up to game programming specific concepts. As for languages, I'd almost say that choice is kinda secondary, because there's libraries for just about all the popular languages.

Except of course if you want to professionally make them in a big studio, in which case you'll most likely need to pick up C++

Posted Jul 16, '12 at 1:20pm

manny6574

manny6574

935 posts

Except of course if you want to professionally make them in a big studio, in which case you'll most likely need to pick up C++

Well, really what I want programming for is hacking. so I'm learning C++ already, I want Assembly and I heard that Perl is good. Apart from that I'm learning the TCP/IP protocol and some Networking apart from various security books on my list. Also this site is what I measure my skills against currently: http://www.hackthissite.org/

If anyone would be willing to help then thanks

Posted Jul 16, '12 at 1:26pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

797 posts

Well, really what I want programming for is hacking.

That is #3 on my list. The knowledge is power, the internet is a wealth of knowledge. If you can control it, you rule all.

Reply to Programming Class

You must be logged in to post a reply!