Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

General NBA Discussion

Posted Jun 30, '13 at 1:35pm

vinster132

vinster132

5,505 posts

Do you blame him???

No, it's not his fault he had to leave Boston. He was didn't get the respected he well deserved as a Hall of Famer. Plus he had relationship issues with Rondo. He left to get more rings to retire on a good note.

Yes, he has his "Manu moments," but he's clearly a shell of his former self. His play can best be described as volatile and erratic, attempting to be flashy at the worst moments.

Ginobli has never really looked like a consistent, reliable guy in my eyes. He has come through with big shots. For example Game 1 3 point shot to seal it in overtime against the Warriors. Ginobli's a reckless guy on the court but is still a player who hits tough shots and can get hot.

lebron hasn't won enough yet to get that title.

I agree. Even though he has solidified himself with 2 rings, he has more to prove. The critics will keep coming. And I don't like it when commentators and such compare Lebron and Jordan.

Lebron is Lebron.
Jordan is Jordan.

Posted Jun 30, '13 at 2:42pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Ginobli has never really looked like a consistent, reliable guy in my eyes.

Are you talking about his recent woes or his play throughout the years? Cuz a few years back, he was arguably the best player on the Spurs. Certainly the one with the most win shares. There was a strong faction of supporters that considered him the second best shooting guard behind Kobe (even beating out Roy, Wade, etc.).

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 11:15pm

vinster132

vinster132

5,505 posts

I was talking about his recent woes. Back then, he was a beast. Until he starting suffering from injuries in I believe the '11-'12 season.

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 8:25pm

Charlie506

Charlie506

1,112 posts

76ers!!!!!

Posted Jul 4, '13 at 2:53pm

CalvinKidd137

CalvinKidd137

587 posts

76ers!!!!!

What about them?

Al Jefferson signed with the Bobcats, I expect them to be better, but not by much. Jared Dudley, JJ Redick to the Clippers, and Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler to the Suns. As a Suns fan I'm not sure if I like this trade or not. Dudley (JD as he is better known here in the Valley of the Sun) was a fan favorite and I'm happy for him to go to a team that will contend for a title, but I'm gonna miss him. Bledsoe and Dragic will make an interesting back court. The Clippers are going to be a very good team this upcoming year, I expect a top 3 seed in the West for them. Chris Paul is one of, if not the best, Point Guards in the NBA, JJ Redick and JD can hit 3's, Blake Griffin Needs to more than just dunk, and they have good depth.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 7:07am

Charlie506

Charlie506

1,112 posts

Well I'm sorry, why would you trade Jrue holiday for Narlens Noel?

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 10:48am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

^I don't think it was a particularly good trade for either team. Don't forget that the Hornets also gave up their top-5 protected first round pick in the 2014 draft.  Plus, they just acquired Tyreke Evans. With Gordan, Holiday, and Evans, their backcourt is just way too saturated, while their front court is incredibly mediocre. Now, if they make additional trades, this might turn out better, but to give up a top 5 pick in what is supposedly a strong draft class is paying a high price. As for the 76ers, they lose their best player. Not like they got far with him, so I'm guessing they'll be tanking the season to get two lottery draft picks, which also means a higher chance at getting Andrew Wiggins. It's a move that's not gonna sit well with fans in the short-term, and if the Sixers don't get what they need in the draft, it could also be a long-term mistake.

By securing Chris Paul, the Clippers will be good for a few more years. I expect them to make some noise in the regular season once. But championship material? I'm ambivalent. Yes, I think that, in order to propel themselves to true contenders, Griffin is going to need to polish his game much more. He needs to learn some post moves and get that 15-footer down pat. I haven't seen much of him this year beyond the highlight reel, but it seems like he's a bit uncomfortable with the ball when he's not flying in the air for a dunk.

Also, as far as the Spurs go, I'm not too crazy about the Ginobili and Splitter's new contracts. They've kept their championship core mostly intact (the signing of Belinelli probably means that Neal is on his way out), but Ginobili and Splitter are not worth the money. I think the Spurs could've shaved off several million between the two of them while still retaining them and gotten a very solid player to strengthen their team.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 8:26pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Rockets closing in on a deal with Dwight Howard. What do you guys think the implications will be?

I was pretty underwhelmed with Howard's performance with the Lakers. It wasn't by any means bad, but he could've been better. His heart wasn't in it. I think he'll be more devoted to his new team, and as long as Hakeem Olajuwon is mentoring him, he should be a more formidable post player. Also, I think he'll be a good fit with Jeremy Lin, so I expect Lin to flourish slightly as well.

For the Lakers, losing Howard isn't the worst thing in the world, but it'll hurt. I'm not too familiar with the Lakers' financial situation, but I hear they're substantially above the salary cap. The loss of Howard probably won't improve their salary cap situation that much, so I doubt they'll be able to sign any notable talent. Maybe some okay role players. I'd say they're a borderline playoff team at best.

Posted Jul 7, '13 at 3:19am

CalvinKidd137

CalvinKidd137

587 posts

But championship material? I'm ambivalent.

I said top 3 in the West. Not in the NBA.
I might as well as list my top 3 rankings anyways while I'm goin there anyways
The BEST in the WEST:
1a. Thunder 1b. Spurs 3. Clippers
The EXCELLENT EAST
1. Heat 2. Pacers 3. Nets
last years standings

I think Howard will fit in well with Harden, but I heard the Rockets where trying to trade Lin to clear cap space? Not sure on a source for that... I don't like Howard, But I think Houston will be a good place for him, they are young, they are talented, and he has Hakeem Olajuwon there to help him.

Posted Jul 7, '13 at 3:47am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

I actually wasn't referring to your post. It just seems like a prevailing sentiment. And frankly, top 3 in the West might as well be top 4 in the NBA.

And yeah, they're looking to trade Lin and Asik. It's a shame. They're both serviceable players that could grow with an intact core. This probably means they'll be looking to rebuild with Howard and Harden at the center, but with the Hiward's opt-out clause, it's hard to see this ending well for the Rockets unless they bring in some more serious talent.

Reply to General NBA Discussion

You must be logged in to post a reply!