ForumsThe TavernNostalgia

63 23459
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I found this site last year.
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html
I used to be a big Radio Shack customer back in the middle 80's all the way to 1994.
I bought Speakers, a tape player, some expensive (at the time) headphones The Optimus Pro 70(I still use them), an equalizer, a couple electronic kits, resistors, batteries packs, antennas, etc.
On the site, you can actually flip the pages of the catalogs.
I spent at least 3 hours one evening just looking at them.
It's amazing to be able to see the changes in technology over the decades from 1940 to 2000.

It brings back lots of good memories to me.
Anyway post your nostalgic memories here. Share the links if they exists so that we can see them.

• 63 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I said it before but what I miss the most is when my house was full of neighborhood kids playing NES and SNES in the living room, kitchen and my brothers room. That was so much fun and we had pizza, sodas, and gummy bears for dessert. xD
Sometimes we went (on bike) to the video game store and traded games for used ones and I kept doing it for years.
I bet half of these stores don't exist anymore.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

You can help make them better by being active, all of us can!

You're quite right, mister. If everyone from those days kept on posting, it would stay that way, indeed.

Well, everything you said is correct, except for...

Giving up isn't going to solve anything!

Unlike the Vets from ol' AG - I don't think I can call myself a Vet :| -, I didn't gave up. I just ran out of free time. u.u

So... sadly, I can't be of much help in this case

I said it before but what I miss the most is when my house was full of neighborhood kids playing NES and SNES in the living room, kitchen and my brothers room. That was so much fun and we had pizza, sodas, and gummy bears for dessert. xD

Oh, wow... That's awesome, man. I mean, there's only a few things that can outnumber a good gaming time with friends. It's awesome gathering a small crowd around a gaming platform, to play and to chat!

I actually had one of these reunions as a birthday party this year. I called a bunch of friends and we sat together to play some games on the PS2 and eat hot dogs. It had been a while since the last meeting of this kind.

Plus, SNES was awesome! I didn't had one, but spent many hours spent playing it in a friend's house. Good times.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Awkwardly sorry for the double post, guys. But I got to fix something:

Unlike the Vets from ol' AG - I don't think I can call myself a Vet :| -, I didn't gave up. I just ran out of free time. u.u

The bolded section should me "most of the Vets". I say that because there's still some of them around.

Also, when it comes about AG-themed Nostalgia, here's something:

This link depicts a thread I started long time ago. It treated about AG's older self and how people thought it was better. By the time of the thread, the forums were turning to it's current self.

Also, I'll re-quote this because I think it's very inspirational:

You can help make them better by being active, all of us can!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Back when I was about 6 or 7, I would go over to my friends' apartments and have multilevel water fights using soda cans. There were only about 5 of us, and most of us weren't very smart because we were in the first grade, so most of the time we didn't end up hitting each other; and when we did, we hardly felt it because water from a soda can is usually nothing more than a trickle, even from 2 stories above.

The moment that sticks in my mind is when one of my friends' older brother took a big ol' pot, filled it to the brim with water, and hid it under his shirt. I was close to this guy, so he never did anything mean to me, but he really had it out for one of my other friends; so he walked over to the kid nonchalantly and dumped it all over him. I was up on the third floor, laughing like a maniac.

Those were the days.

skydragon720
skydragon720
343 posts
Nomad

I HAVE A SNES!!!!! but its messed up kinda. think i can fix it.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I miss my NES, I thought it was an amazing console with sleek lines and neat gamepads. In the end I had to wiggle the cartridge inside and push it crooked so the games would work because it was getting old.
I also bought like 8 new gamepads because they were worn out. xD

betep39
betep39
3 posts
Peasant

I remember when Pong first came out. $0.25 for 2 plays. I still have an Atari 2600.

The Radio Shack catalog? I have stuff from the 1970 edition.
RS used to have the "Battery of the Month Club". If you were on their mailing list, you got a free cheap store brand battery. I used to spend my paper route $$$ there back in the 1970's.

/Get off my lawn

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I mostly have terrible memories from middle school because the homework was too much for me and I hated every single teacher, but I still miss it sometimes because I used to have friends back then.
I miss my old group of online friends, too. That's more recent, but the idea is the same.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

RS used to have the "Battery of the Month Club". If you were on their mailing list, you got a free cheap store brand battery.

I remember that, they still had it in the early 80's.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I remember this game Elevator Action .
I used to be good at it at the arcade. There was a trick that allowed to kill 3 agents (the guys in black) by making the elevator go down while yanking the joystick to the right (to make the thief jump off to the right side) and quickly to the left (to turn and shoot the guy on the left) and smash the third guy with the elevator. I think I made it to the 6th level where the agents lay down on the floor and fired while another one stood up and the other one kneel down which made it impossible to survive.
I had a great time playing this game but when it was released on the NES, I couldn't do the amazing trick with the gamepad. :/

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

While searching for a video on Youtube, I realized they made a newer version.
Anyway here's the original 8 bit version.
Elevator Action

Here's the GBA version

Here's the Deluxe version

I never played this one, it's seem cool.

fukwon
fukwon
283 posts
Farmer

I remember coming home from school everyday and playing hercules for the playstation, that game was so much fun.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I'm not that old so really the only Nostalgia I have is from a couple years ago when exit path was booming and there were tons of cool people and it was tons of fun. Since then, it has mostly died off and it's no fun anymore.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I miss riding my MB in the snow. There's hardly any snow around here.
Me and my best friend used to ride all day, come back home to eat and go back out all evening. The only thing I didn't like about it was freezing my private parts. xD

Anyway for those who never tried it, it's like floating. When there's about 5 cm (2 inches) of new snow and you're the first on the road, it's a great feeling, everything is white and quiet.

Also, for those who want to try for the first time you need to get used to the front wheel sliding all the time. You need to get used to your handle bar moving left and right all the time.
The first time I tried I fell because I didn't know how to control the front wheel in slippery snow.

It's also harder to ride. The more snow there is, the more efforts you need to make. It's like doing triple the distance so if you plan on doing 10 km, you'll be doing 30 instead.

Anyway for those who like to ride, try it with snow, it's fun!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I forgot to add that you'll need to clean up your bike before storing it because it'll look like a big mash potato bike! xD

Showing 46-60 of 63