Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

is abortion ok?

Posted Jan 9, '13 at 5:10pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,230 posts

What gives you the right to say that you can take a life?

Just thought I'd throw this out there again...every time a woman is on her period, there is a "loss of potential life". Every time a man ejaculates, there is a "loss of potential life"

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 12:01am

hellcactus321

hellcactus321

2 posts

even if a women having her period is a "loss of potential life" also a man ejaculating, the fetus is not "potential life" that allready is life that fetus will live even if for only a month or two it will live it will never be a "potential life"

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 12:45am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,230 posts

the fetus is not "potential life" that allready is life that fetus will live even if for only a month or two it will live it will never be a "potential life"

So what you are saying is..that fetus is able to survive on its own? And not survive like a parasite?

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 1:25am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,970 posts

even if a women having her period is a "loss of potential life" also a man ejaculating, the fetus is not "potential life" that allready is life that fetus will live even if for only a month or two it will live it will never be a "potential life"

Technically, the reproductive cells are also already living. What gives a fetus a higher right to live?

Posted Jan 11, '13 at 1:55pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,666 posts

Knight

It's life all the way through the process. It's just the continuation of life. The potential is not life but personhood. It's a loss of potential personhood.

Posted Jan 12, '13 at 11:16pm

BigP08

BigP08

1,431 posts

I guess what it all comes down to is a comparison between what you value more. Do you value the potential personhood of the fetus more than you value the mother's unwillingness to go through months of carrying a fetus plus her unwillingness to give birth and her unwillingness to either care for the child or find someone or someplace that will care for the child?
Is it a life? Sure, technically. But in the context of what we mean by life, its personhood is only potential.
Now, I personally value the potential personhood of any fetus that is going to be if we take no action against it. However, when we're talking about abortion we also need to consider a few things. First of all, circimstances are everything. If the mother may face medical complications, for example, she should have the legal right to decide whether or not she wants to take that risk. Even if she doesn't, should she be forced to carry the child? You don't force someone to give a transplant to save someone's life even if they can and even if it is of no long term detriment to the person.
So I tend to encourage women to consider childbirth even in situations where they were dealt a bad hand. By encourage, I do not mean show them gory blown up pictures of aborted fetuses or anything to that extent. I mean holding the door open. I think the pro-life movement should focus on making childbirth easier to deal with, both emotionally, economically, and physically, rather than making it excessively more difficult to get an abortion. As far as the legality of abortion, I think it needs to remain legal in all circumstances and education on all your options both before and after sex needs to be the best it can be.

That's where my opinion falls. It has been based on me trying to take what's fair from both sides of the spectrum, but I'm not perfect and I more than welcome anyone who spots any flaws in my thinking.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 5:14pm

SteveeXb

SteveeXb

485 posts

I agree with the creator of this thread: abortion is wrong and i may even consider it murder.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 5:28pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,564 posts

I agree with the creator of this thread: abortion is wrong and i may even consider it murder.

And as has been said on basically every page on this thread, no, it's not murder. It's not "wrong" either. Read some posts instead of just responding to the OP 53 pages in.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 5:38pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,939 posts

Knight

It is his right to state his opinion, however it'd be nice if he at least could explain some. Dropping in without giving any reasons at all, that's what's not so nice.

It is not to be considered murder because it is not a human being. It's a lump of tissue living off the mother, influencing her life in a substancial way. Thus it is to be considered her right to decide on her life, at least within the legally admitted timeframe (no one would want anyone to abort halfway through pregnancy unless it is necessary for the woman's survival).

It is not wrong because within the legal timeframe, it won't develop a consciousness that could feel treated wrongly; thus no harm is done to anyone.

Posted Jan 14, '13 at 8:25pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,666 posts

Knight

So I tend to encourage women to consider childbirth even in situations where they were dealt a bad hand.

I do agree that it's something to be encouraged, though I think it should be added that not all bad hand situations would have the best result of carrying the child to term.

That's where my opinion falls. It has been based on me trying to take what's fair from both sides of the spectrum, but I'm not perfect and I more than welcome anyone who spots any flaws in my thinking.

It's not really taking from both sides. That is basically (and well put) what pro-choice advocates.

Reply to is abortion ok?

You must be logged in to post a reply!