Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

is abortion ok?

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 5:38am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,260 posts

Knight

How would you define murder in the first place? And what is the main reason you want to avoid murder? (Sounds stupid, but it doesn't hurt to think about it).

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 5:46am

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

327 posts

The shedding of innocent blood, and because it is morally and ethically wrong, plus it is against the laws of the land to kill.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 7:00am

partydevil

partydevil

5,119 posts

The shedding of innocent blood

same blood as the mother.

because it is morally and ethically wrong

it's neither morally or ethically wrong.
or is it morally and ethically wrong to mastrubate aswell?

plus it is against the laws of the land to kill.

except that abortion is not a kill.
it is aborting a natural process that might turn out to live in the future.
it is not alive in the 1st few stages.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 8:35am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,856 posts

The shedding of innocent blood, and because it is morally and ethically wrong, plus it is against the laws of the land to kill.

Uh huh. You know, a woman on her period is 'shedding innocent blood' and averting potential life. Solution? Keep her pregnant. NOTHING could possibly go wrong with the population!
Also, it is averting potential life if you masturbate. Should we ban this too?

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 9:23am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,260 posts

Knight

The shedding of innocent blood,

The others have already mentioned.. it depends whose blood you mean, and what you mean by shedding. By that definition, squashing flies becomes a morally condemnable crime while choking a person to death is no problem.

and because it is morally and ethically wrong, plus it is against the laws of the land to kill.

Laws can be changed. Morals and ethics are probably the best reason you gave, although you still have to specify why it is morally and ethically wrong.

Posted Feb 20, '13 at 9:34am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,260 posts

Knight

Sorry, of course you're right, if it is prohibited in your country to abort then that's a very good reason for individuals not to do it ;)

Posted Feb 26, '13 at 8:38pm

arkaninerenegade

arkaninerenegade

835 posts

What I don't get is people who support abortion but not capital punishment. Oh yeah its cool to kill babies but not a grow adult who knowingly committed a crime.

Posted Feb 26, '13 at 9:01pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

What I don't get is people who support abortion but not capital punishment. Oh yeah its cool to kill babies but not a grow adult who knowingly committed a crime.

A red herring, if an interesting comparison. Most of the opposition that I support in regards to being against capital punishment is that the person may not be guilty and that the entire process cost exceeds paying for life in prison. It's not economical or ethical.

Whereas abortion, it's a developing person inside of another person. If the woman doesn't want that in her, to go through the nine months of pregnancy, social stigma, child-birthing and then recovery, not to mention either raising it or putting it up for adoption, I don't think it's right to force her to do such.

As we have said many times over the course of the thread, there are other reasons involved too.

Posted Feb 26, '13 at 9:14pm

arkaninerenegade

arkaninerenegade

835 posts

Whereas abortion, it's a developing person inside of another person. If the woman doesn't want that in her, to go through the nine months of pregnancy, social stigma, child-birthing and then recovery, not to mention either raising it or putting it up for adoption, I don't think it's right to force her to do such.
It may be her body, but why does she have the right to destroy life, or the potential for life? If a woman doesnt want children, use protection or stay abstinent. It's not far to that life to say oh yeah i dont want you. As for the death penalty you didnt mention why it was not ethical. You are right about the economical reason, something I think needs to be change (give the convicted 1 chance to appeal). Even if it remains far more expensive then life in prison, money should not be more important then justice.

Posted Feb 26, '13 at 9:42pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,734 posts

It may be her body, but why does she have the right to destroy life, or the potential for life?

Because it's growing in her. Because it can't survive outside of her. Because she's the one who has to lug it around. Because of exactly how much of a change it will make.

If a woman doesnt want children, use protection or stay abstinent.

If that fails? If she's *****? If she makes a stupid mistake? If the situation changes? If she finds out that it's going to have severe birth defects that will probably result in its early death? If it's going to have a life-impacting mental illness that will require her to take care of it for its entire life? If its found that a previously unknown of hereditary disease the parents carried was passed onto that child?

It's far too individual. No one should have the right to force a woman to go through with a pregnancy that she doesn't want. It should be her choice. I'm all for contraception and giving the mother options to help raise the child. But if she doesn't want it, well, that's her choice.

It's not far to that life to say oh yeah i dont want you.

That life won't ever know. It isn't aware. At the time for legal abortions, it is not conscious. It has no social attachments. It cannot survive outside the womb. As far as logical thought goes, it is the equivalent of a tumor that will eventually become a member of society if carried to term. I'm not saying it's not human, I'm saying that there's more than enough reason for it to be the woman's choice.

Now, if there were a way to remove the baby without scarring and let it continue to grow somehow if the mother didn't want it, I'd be advocating for that. Abortion is the best option and has no downsides other than the regretful loss of another potential human being, of which this planet could do with less of.

As for the death penalty you didnt mention why it was not ethical.

Because there's always the doubt that the accused is actually innocent, or could have been rehabilitated/contributed to society in some way.

money should not be more important then justice.

Why is killing someone for killing someone else justice? Then you have two dead people instead of one, or more. It doesn't make anything better. Eye for an eye leaves the world blind. Often said, but rarely followed. We want to appease our sense of outrage. Capital punishment is like giving a medal to a dead soldier, comfort for the people grieving. It doesn't actually change anything.

Reply to is abortion ok?

You must be logged in to post a reply!