Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

Posted May 27, '12 at 6:40pm

theregulator

theregulator

545 posts

While Lucie didn't do it wrong, Metallica definitely did it right. I just don't feel like the song reaches it maximum potential without the metal element Metallica brings to it. It's just that kind of love song.

Posted May 27, '12 at 6:41pm

theregulator

theregulator

545 posts

I didn't really specify my vote, but Metallica wins this one.

Posted May 28, '12 at 3:43am

JoshTheBoss

JoshTheBoss

412 posts

I Was hoping that lady would kick metallica's *** with that song. Unfortunately she didn't. There's a lot you could do with that song, and she just did it thinking, "I;m an attractive woman, so I'll just do it like any High school kid would." Unfortunately it didn't work.
Is what I said after hearing her live version. (Your video doesn't work in my country)

I found the studio version, and it makes it a close battle. The problem is that they're both appealing to two completely different audiences, and I wouldn't put myself in either of them. Musically, they're about the same, so I'm still gonna have to go with Metallica because they wrote it.

Posted May 28, '12 at 3:42pm

goumas13

goumas13

4,487 posts

Lucie's version is not bad, however it's just not exceptional. Frankly, the song doesn't really stand out in any particular area.

Anyway, Metallica's version is in my opinion way better. Nothing Else Matters is probably one of the few Metallica songs I really like. So ... Mettalica.

Posted May 29, '12 at 1:32am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,005 posts

Knight

Lucie, surprisingly, it seems to suit the female voice for me more here, though Metallica's version is still gold.

Also, suggestion, You Spin Me Round, DoA's version vs Dope's.

Posted May 29, '12 at 1:35am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,005 posts

Knight

Just to troll everyone. :P Because who won't be shocked by Pete Burns?

Posted May 29, '12 at 2:37am

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,290 posts

Lucie has a great voice, and the orchestra is a nice touch, but I'm going to have to go with Metallica's version as the better one. It seems as though Lucie tried to make the song more dramatic than it had to be by having an entire orchestra do what one guitar did in the original... =P

Posted May 29, '12 at 2:47am

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,290 posts

Now, if you want a truly lousy cover of this song, look up Shakira's version! That woman has one of the weirdest voices I have ever heard!

Posted May 29, '12 at 12:17pm

nebmas

nebmas

85 posts

It's an interesting song and has an interesting story behind it. I think that it is interesting because Metallica took a fairly simple rhythm and simple set of chords and turned it into something with a lot of depth and expression. Lucie took the main expression out of that song and just put the fairly typical dynamics into the song. Also, the cover for the Metallica version is more interesting to watch as well. And a guitar ensemble is not the most used set of instruments for a love ballad and orchestra's are user for many things. Also, I think that the Metallica would appeal to more people. There is so much of music like it out there that people love so is should be popular. And if it boiled down to personal taste, Metallica wins. (partly because I am a guitarist and partly because i like music like that)

so yeah Metallica.

Posted May 29, '12 at 2:46pm

Armpit

Armpit

655 posts

The song is simply epic as a power ballad. Her version is not bad, but Metallica's in this case is simply unbeatable.

Reply to "OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

You must be logged in to post a reply!