ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169900
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

I know this is going to look like a double post, but since my last one was so long ago, I don't think it matters...

I'm not sure if DayCee has lost the time to keep this thread going, but I figured a score update would help renew interest as well as scare up a couple/few more votes...

So here it is:

-vs-
1 - Status Quo (Cover version)
-vs-
0 - Amazulu
-vs-
0 - The Chipmunks & The Chipettes
-vs-
0 - Weird Al Yankovic

So the original has jumped back on top..

More votes please

More DayCee please

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I've been slacking my competitions a bit, but luckily... my good friend ilberic stepped in for a moment (for old times sake) and kept it alive, thanx buddy! =)

Well, since the score has already been counted for the last battle, and nothing has changed since (Original = the Winner!), I'll quickly move on to a flash battle I thought of recently! A good old rockin' classic!

Battle # 12 : American Woman!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8278004899_f2a968070a_b_d.jpg

And of course, some examples to help you choose your winner in this battle :

~ The Guess Who (Original - 1970)
~ Krokus (Cover - 1982)
~ Lenny Kravitz (Cover - 1999)

It has been long enough! So...

"Won't y'ring that beee-heeelll... mama if you pleeee-eeease!" Duhduh duhduh duhhh duduh...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

Here we go!! VOTE!

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

The Guess Who for sure. This one is just a no-brainer in which the classic original will always prevail xD

So my vote is The Guess Who.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Yay for Swiss band!

Though I have to place them second...
The original has the best rhythm, groove, voice. Krokus made a great version on a slightly harder rock style, sound great too, but The Guess Who are instrumentally still better.
And Lenny Kravitz just made something completely different, and it doesn't sound too good. It's not bad, but it's too slow and the music video is too heavy on flags and women symbolism.. besides he's American himself so singing that song is kinda weird..

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

I guess that Lenny Kravitz tried to make his own version of the song, or, at least, something different from the original. In fact, I didn't know that it was a cover until a few minutes ago. I don't know why, but I always assumed it was an original song. However, I find it extremely noisy at times. I usually like the sound of the guitar, but in this case it's too much. As if this were not enough, his distorted voice at the end of the song just makes me want to press the mute button. Definitely, it's a song that I don't want to listen in a while, sorry.

Krokus does a nice cover. It keeps the original spirit of the song, but they make it a little more rockier. In this case, I really like the guitars. The only thing I don't like much is the high pitched voice of the singer, but it's something bearable.

Once more, the original is the best in my opinion. I really enjoy the beat of this tune. Besides, everything seems to be perfectly balanced. Great sound and rhythm, amazing guitar and excellent vocals. I love his voice.

So my vote goes to The Guess Who.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Well, unless I am surprised somehow, I already know who I'm voting for in this round, but let's do it right...

The Listen:
The Guess Who - Great song by a great group. Never really saw them before.. Them some ugly dudes. Anyway, I like just about everything about this version. As an added bonus, my mother used to have a cassette of their greatest hits, so we kind of wore that tape out

Lenny Kravitz - I've always liked this version on its own. However, as much as I do like it, I've never thought it was better than the Guess Who. Never really put a finger on why though. Maybe it's the childhood connection..

Krokus - Really? What is wrong with these guys? The music is actually decent I guess. But when the guy starts singing, I feel he's trying to pretend he's the lead singer of AC/DC. And that guitar player is a special kind of idiot. What on earth makes him think anyone in the world wants to see his rear end?!? And what's the point of playing a guitar with a chopstick?!? The more I think of this video, the more it irritates me.

Now the voting:

Krokus - wish they would have Krok'd before making this song.

Lenny Kravitz - great cover version of a great song, but not enough to pull him ahead..

Guess Who - Lenny couldn't overcome the childhood memories that I have tied to this song and so they take my vote.

Vote - Guess Who

xxBoogeymaNxx
xxBoogeymaNxx
83 posts
Nomad

The Guess Who for sure. You simply can't top a classic like that with a cover. It would be like trying to compare Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash with a cover of that song. Nobody can play Ring of Fire like Johnny Cash, and nobody can play American Woman like The Guess Who.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Nobody can play Ring of Fire like Johnny Cash,

some sure did a good job tho.

====
the guess who is on still on my phone. i dont have to listen to the others this time to know. this is where my vote go's to.
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

It's hard to place my choice on this song, so I'll start easy.

Krokus - I did not like this, it didn't sound quite right with that voice, to much yelling in it for that theme. The guitar and drums seemed a bit off with the pitch and made the lyrics sound much worse.

The Who - Points for creating it obviously, the song worked. That's really all I can say, but it also sounded a bit flat like all the sounds merged together. Still enjoyable, but it drags on.

Lenny Kravitz - I love this version, it sounded much stronger of a song than the other two. Much more tightly knit, but of course, I have issues. Or more of one "Issue", it's been stated before, but it seems to flashy with all the flags, and seems more pointless being that Lenny is American.

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post, but forgot the summary.

My point goes to Lenny Kravitz' version.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Ok, I'll throw up a tally here for my MIA friend, MrDayCee..

Guess Who - 3 votes (with 3 more pending Dapro89, Boogeyman, & partydevil's votes are a little lacking in my opinion, though I'm not the official decider here.)

Lenny Kravitz - 1 vote

Krokus - 0 votes

Oh, and I just have to add, Braainzz, that it is the Guess Who, and not the Who. Two totally different bands.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

The Guess Who wins my vote hands down. Their version stands alone, especially for a song from 1970, and Burton Cummings' voice fits the attitude of the song and the lyrics perfectly. Lenny does a fine job too, but his version lacks a lot of the feeling that the original one conveys. No comment on Krokus.

Oh, and tally up a late vote for Billy Idol as well.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

partydevil's votes are a little lacking in my opinion

i like the band. been a fan for a long while. do doubt that i will choose this song over the other 2. but if Cee insists i can listen to them.
ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

i like the band. been a fan for a long while. do doubt that i will choose this song over the other 2. but if Cee insists i can listen to them

DayCee has surprised me a couple of times with cover versions and in doing so I have found new music that I have added to my collection. Sometimes it's worth the listen just to broaden horizons. Granted, it still may not match your love for your original choice, but you may find something you can enjoy listening to just as much.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Just like ilberic explained... the main reason I like to hold these competitions/battles (including the coming MBWC and CRBWC again) is to broaden people's horizons in terms of music. We are all fed a portion of what is out there and only by offering other music to a person, you can have them experience something new, discover other songs, learn about how different people persive the same song and make their own version in this case! =)

New battle will be posted tomorrow, thanx for the nudge ilberic! You're a trooper!!

Showing 151-165 of 198