ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169732
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Let's start off with the first battle to present in this brandnew battle thread!

A song most of you (surely) know...

Presenting Song Battle # 1 :

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7225/7261818434_2ae9f5d0f4_z_d.jpg

Metallica (Original version) -VS- Lucie Silvas (Covered version)

You've read the rules (I hope) and so... decide which is the better version : Original or Cover!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

And the battle begins... VOTE!!! =D

Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

Metallica, hands down.
There way of bringing the song just defines it, yuor brain just decides " yeah this is how the track should sound " and so i prefer Metallica.
The cover isn't all that bad but it just isn't the way i want the song to be

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I'm trying to judge them as two separate songs, and it's really difficult. The metalhead in me wants to go with metallica because.. It's f***in metalica! and the actual music listener in me is on the fence.

On one hand, James Hetfield's voice in it mixed with the clean screaming gives it a lot more power vocally, but on the other, the symphony that Lucie brings with her gives the music just as much power.
Granted, I do see needing an entire symphony to capture the same power on a love song as a bit of a drawback, versus five dudes with some guitars and drums. I have to give it to Metallica

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Why did I not think of this, great idea MrDayCee!

Metallica is the original version so it gets a point there. I like the version a lot. On the other hand Lucie's version is much more lovey I guess. More what you would expect from that type of song. So my answer:

Metallica, while Lucie did a good job I think Metallica's version is a little more unique. I liked both but Metallica just had that slight edge.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Lucie has a good voice and made a nice version of this beautiful ballad.

However I know exactly why I prefer Metallica playing it. And it's not because it's the original :P

I vote for Metallica. I'll use some of the wording from Zamiel's vote, and say that "their way of bringing the song" is perfect. It's simple, yet carries all the emotion within.
Lucie's version is just too much pathos, too much stylistic elements, too much orchestrated and melodious yet too weakened.
I like it raw and simple as Metallica plays it; nothing else matters for this particular song^^

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I felt that Lucie's version tried too hard without really accomplishing anything. It sounded allright, but Metallica was better.

Cpt0bviousV2
Cpt0bviousV2
19 posts
Nomad

METALLICA HELLZ YEAH! They are way better lol. And when i clicked on the cover it said it was blocked to the US... *sigh* But anyway i have a suggestion:

Metallica (cover) Turn the Page -vs- Bob Seger (original) Turn the Page

Can you do that one next?

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Lucie's version that you posted is blocked in the US, like cpt0bviousv2 said, but there are other video's available of her singing it on youtube. If i would have thought of it, i would have just posted one here, but i already closed that window. On to my vote:

I wanted to pick Lucie on this one, just to spite Metallica for what they did to Turn The Page.. However, while her version is good, Metallica's original happens to be one of my favorite songs by them. It just works. I'm a fan of slow and heavy, so I like that. Hetfield's voice on the original is just the perfect fit.

So my vote: Original - Metallica.

(ps #1 - kudos on the thread idea DayCee, you are indeed a true rock star)

(ps #2 - Lars can suck it)

Cranium80
Cranium80
489 posts
Shepherd

Metallica all the way!!! Any cover of this would be an abomination!

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

I Was hoping that lady would kick metallica's *** with that song. Unfortunately she didn't. There's a lot you could do with that song, and she just did it thinking, "I;m an attractive woman, so I'll just do it like any High school kid would." Unfortunately it didn't work.
Is what I said after hearing her live version. (Your video doesn't work in my country)

I found the studio version, and it makes it a close battle. The problem is that they're both appealing to two completely different audiences, and I wouldn't put myself in either of them. Musically, they're about the same, so I'm still gonna have to go with Metallica because they wrote it.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Lucie's version is not bad, however it's just not exceptional. Frankly, the song doesn't really stand out in any particular area.

Anyway, Metallica's version is in my opinion way better. Nothing Else Matters is probably one of the few Metallica songs I really like. So ... Mettalica.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Lucie, surprisingly, it seems to suit the female voice for me more here, though Metallica's version is still gold.

Also, suggestion, You Spin Me Round, DoA's version vs Dope's.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Just to troll everyone. :P Because who won't be shocked by Pete Burns?

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Lucie has a great voice, and the orchestra is a nice touch, but I'm going to have to go with Metallica's version as the better one. It seems as though Lucie tried to make the song more dramatic than it had to be by having an entire orchestra do what one guitar did in the original... =P

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Now, if you want a truly lousy cover of this song, look up Shakira's version! That woman has one of the weirdest voices I have ever heard!

Showing 1-15 of 198