Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

Posted Aug 31, '12 at 3:27am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,488 posts

And with 2 more votes in, the lead has suddenly shifted back over to Tom Cochrane and his original version!! Who would have thought that this battle would be one to end up in such a close call?! Nice! =)

Score round up shows a 1 vote lead for the original version over the covers!

5 - Tom Cochrane(Original version)
-VS-
0 - Chris LeDoux (Cover version)
-VS-
4 - Rascal Flatts (Cover version)

A new battle will be posted soon, so if you want to help Rascal Flatts back into the saddle for a tie or maybe extend Tom Cochrane's lead over the others, then make sure to get that vote in and have it counted!

VOTE WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Posted Sep 6, '12 at 10:08am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,488 posts

Seems like the thread got buried again... dang... =(

Well, the score remained the same for the last battle:

5 - Tom Cochrane(Original version) - WINNER!
-VS-
4 - Rascal Flatts (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Chris LeDoux (Cover version)

Close, but no sigar for Rascal Flatts... seems like Tom Cochrane grabbed the win in the end!

---

On with the next battle in this competition! =D

Battle # 9 : Knocking on Heaven's Door

This song has been covered numerous times by a whole bunch of bands and artists, but I had to make a decision and pick a few... so I decided to take some covers that were a little diverse from eachother and from different years! Too bad I couldn't find the one covered by GwaR, because that would have been a TRULY different version! LOL

Anyway, here we go! Poster please? =)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8181/7943481052_353739fa56_b_d.jpg

As always, some information about the song in both original and cover versions so you guys can choose!

- Bob Dylan (Original version - 1973)
- Eric Clapton (Cover version " 1975)
- Randy Crawford (Cover version - 1989)
- Guns N' Roses (Cover version " 1992)
- Selig (Cover version - 1997)
- Avril Lavigne (Cover version - 2003)

Ring that bell!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

Posted Sep 6, '12 at 12:07pm

AnaLoGMunKy

AnaLoGMunKy

1,625 posts

Original wins hands down because:

The singer - Lucie Silvas - sounds like a carbon copy of every other "strong" pop singer. Im kinda sick of the same old singer sound. Far too professional so all the love is squeezed out.

"Ooh look, see how I can put all these wavers and trills and blah blah into my voice, Im so emotional, Im so hawt, look at me please, Im a diva!"

Get stuffed, Metallica wins thru being original, the cover is a boring template of the original.

But the orchestral stuff behind is awesome :D

Posted Sep 6, '12 at 12:08pm

AnaLoGMunKy

AnaLoGMunKy

1,625 posts

Ah, I see I have missed a further bunch of battles, I will need some listening time to catch up :)

Posted Sep 6, '12 at 5:35pm

daleks

daleks

3,243 posts

I have to go with Bob Dylan. His was the best. It sounded the most like the way the song should have been.
- Eric Clapton (Cover version ��" 1975)-Never really been a fan of Eric Clapton. It was alright though.
- Randy Crawford (Cover version - 1989)-I really liked it, but just Bob Dylan's version was better to me.
- Guns N' Roses (Cover version ��" 1992)-This one made it sound to upbeat for me.
- Selig (Cover version - 1997)-No, I hated this one. It was horrible to me.
- Avril Lavigne (Cover version - 2003)-Sounded more like talking to me then singing

Posted Sep 7, '12 at 7:55am

AnaLoGMunKy

AnaLoGMunKy

1,625 posts

My vote goes to the G&V version, but Im bias, its the one I grew up with.
The BobD version is pretty classic, but Im not really a big fan of his voice. Still, pretty awesome.
I was quite impressed by the Clapton version.
I actually liked the Avril version, had some heart to it.
Selig version sounded watery and really didnt like it.
Randy version... ugh! Buh! Nah!

So my vote goes to the Guns'n'Roses version :)

Posted Sep 8, '12 at 3:19pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,631 posts

For me...the only 2 versions I really liked were Dylan's and Selig's.

They both kept that emotion with it and were the most enjoyable to listen to for me.

Though my vote goes to Bob Dylan...the emotion he put into it and his voice were both unmatched

Posted Sep 8, '12 at 6:15pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

Guns'n'Roses is the clear winner for me.
i like the more activity in the song then the other.

Posted Sep 9, '12 at 3:03pm

kegaumongo

kegaumongo

1,846 posts

At first, I thought it would be hard to choose between all the options, but three of them were ruled out almost immediately. So it was easier than I expected.

Selig's cover is... weird. When I listened to the song, I felt like I was stuck inside a dream, floating away in the sky. And the echo effect makes it even more psychedelic. Maybe I'm not ready for this kind of music.

Sorry to all Guns & Roses fans, but I totally dislike their cover, probably because I don't like the band. I found this cover extremely excruciating to listen to. It is too noisy for such a meaningful song and the singer's voice doesn't fit in the song at all, especially at the beginning when Axl's high voice seems to be recorded over his real voice. But at least they bring the song to their own field and I guess they did the best they could in their own way and style.

Randy Crawford's voice is really nice. There's no doubt about that. I would like her cover if it wasn't for the fact that the music doesn't fit in with the lyrics. Actually, I feel like I'm listening to an old love song, especially due to the sound of the saxophone. I think the feelings in this cover are definitely not the same as in the original and she didn’t capture the pain at all.

Clapton's cover is great. He is such a great guitarist. I really like the instrumental arrangements made to the song because they give it a completely different tune.

Avril Lavinge does a really good job here. I'm actually impressed by her cover. I didn't think I would like it because I expected something more upbeat from her, but it is quite beautiful and moving.

Again, the original is the best for me. Dylan's a great songwriter and you can feel the emotion of the song through his voice. I think that everything in the song is perfectly balanced: few instruments, great vocals and meaningful lyrics. It's definitely an example of the way music should be made.

So I'm voting for Bob Dylan.

P.S.: I hope all the sentences make sense. I only slept 3 hours and my brain is a bit off.

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 6:17am

Zamiel

Zamiel

142 posts

And once again i made the mistake of listening the original first because that always sets certain standards for cover versions.

*Selig: they made the song sound like it's just a slower and dreamier version than the original , didn't work for me.
*Guns N' Roses: That's just me but i just find most of their songs to have somewhat of a forced feeling to it and this song was no exception.
*Randy crawford: i generally dislike that style of music and this was an example when lyrics and song style just don't match.
*Avril Lavigne: This wasn't all that bad actually but i found it missing a certain amount of feel to it.

*Clapton: as expected this one was a close second but it just missed the emotion Dylan put into it to make first place

So my vote goes to the original again.

Reply to "OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

You must be logged in to post a reply!