ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169720
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

people persive the same song

uh, believe you were looking for perceive there.. and i thought you were perfect. alas I was wrong.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Due, I'm not perfect... I'm... I'm... I'm... yah! =P

Well, it's true, I've been slacking this thread a bit... sorry! I'm trying to get all competitions back in order now. I'm glad I can count on ilberic to keep the scores when I'm busy, but I'm going to try and get the train back on track again, ok?

First a final score count!

~ The Guess Who - 4 - Winner!
~ Lenny Kravitz - 1
~ Krokus - 0

Right! On with the show, next battle is up! I mis-calculated the number of the last one, should have been 13 instead of 12, so this one is...

Battle # 14 : Turn the Page (Suggested by xXxDAPRO89xXx, thanx!)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8390225074_aa174cf342_b_d.jpg

A song covered by different artists, each with their own sound embedded into the original masterpiece! Here's the info for each version:

~ Bob Seger (Original - 1972)
~ Golden Earring (Cover - 1995)
~ Metallica (Cover - 1998)
~ Aaron Lewis / Staind (Cover Live - 2008)

Let's turn the page for the next chapter in the "OvC - Song Battle"! Ring that bell!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Pretty sure I know how I'm going to vote. I'm also pretty sure I know who I'm gonna vote into last.. But here we go:

Bob Seger: Flippin' perfect. The saxophone bits are just bone chilling awesome. You can actually feel exactly what he's talking about when he's singing the lyrics. Just one of my all time favorite songs..

Golden Earring: Well, first off he's just singing too fast for my liking. I do like what they did instrumentally though. Not as much as I like Seger's, but it's still pretty cool. The singing keeps getting to me though. Another case where the way they sing it makes me think they don't get it. I know they have to try to make it their own, but..

Metallica: Grrr.. I might be slightly biased against them because of crybaby Lars thinking Napster was the reason nobody wanted to buy Metallica music anymore.. but anyway, onto their crappy version.. I just don't like this version. It's not meant to be a hard song. The lyrics and the music just make no sense together. And though, Day's link isn't actually the video, the idea that they made this song about a prostitute just sickens me

Aaron Lewis/Staind: This is pretty cool. He definitely understands the song. The music is really simple but very cool as well. I like his voice as well. All in all a really good version, but nothing that excites me all that much.

So now the votes:

4) Metallica - They just suck. Twisting an awesome classic into something it's not meant to be at all. Plus, they're Metallica.. insert random expletive here.

3) Golden Earring - I like what they did musically, but the lyrics are just way too fast for this. It just doesn't make sense. Overall not terrible, but kind of aggravating to listen to

2) Aaron Lewis/Staind - Great cover version by someone who understands the song. And the fact that he did it with an acoustic guitar is pretty special. If the original wasn't one of my favorites, this would have had a chance.

1) Bob Seger - The song is just perfect. Just bone chilling perfect. Saxophone, lyrics, music all just exactly what they need to be.

So my vote - Bob Seger

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

I have to admit that I didn't know this song, but I enjoyed the original one. And I would have never guessed it's such an "old" song. I think his voice has a lot of feeling and the way he sings it fits very well with the lyrics. Besides, I love the saxophone; it gives this song a special atmosphere. Really, really good.

I think Golden Earring version is a bit too fast. I like the singer's voice, but I'm not really keen on the way he sings this song and I didn't like the last part of the song. Too noisy, too much screaming, but I know it's me. I definitely have a low tolerance to strident sounds.

Metallica's version... well, I was a bit reluctant to listen to it at the beginning because this is definitely not my type of music. However, it was surprising that I didn't dislike it as much as I thought, but it's still too noisy for my taste and it's something that I wouldnât listen to many more times.

Mmm, an acoustic version... That's my weakness. I've always been amazed by the talent of some musicians to be alone on stage with just one instrument and do wonders with a song. I do love this cover, as everything seems to be spot on: great voice and emotional performance. Awesome

So yes, for the first time, my vote goes to the cover: Aaron Lewis / Staind.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Ohmygod. Thanks DayCee!

Of course for me I have to vote Metallica. I love the way that they sped up the tempo a bit and added more rock. That is why it is better than Bob Seger's original. But of course I'ma die hard Metallica fan also... ^^

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Well, we're off to the races.. not really, but we do have a close battle thus far (if you can call it that with only 3 votes in)..

Score update:

(original) Bob Seger - 1
Aaron Lewis / Staind - 1
Metallica - 1
Golden Earring - 0

Now we have a battle, a few votes and a score update... all we need is MORE VOTERS.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

bob seger:
this might be a good song if i want to fall asleep. it's to slow for me to realy like.

golden earing:
this band has a special place for me. because our families are good friends of eatchother.
but this particular song isn't realy what i like about the band. it again is to slow for me to be able to like.

metallica:
here we go, a bit more action. tbh do i not know any song (except the big hits ofcours) of metallica and dont i find them that good either. but sofar this is the best i heard in this list.

aaron lewis:
did he change anything from the original? is it realy a cover, or did he preform the old song?
anyway, as you probably have already guessed. it's to slow.

1:metallica =o
2:golden earing =)
3:bob seger =)
4:aaron lewis =/

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

They just suck

You aren't my friend ._.
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Bob Seger: So beautiful song, and great version (original always the best).

Golden Earring: This is good, but I don't like the vocalist.

Metallica: Guitar is too heavy for a song like this, don't like a lot...

Aaron Lewis: this is an amazing cover, really good guitar arrangment and great voice.

So, my vote goes to Aaron Lewis

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Time to make another score update, because I've been slacking this thread for way to long... heck, even ilberic got tired of me as it seems... LOL (O.o)

2 - Aaron Lewis / Staind (Cover)
2 - Metallica (Cover)
1 - Bob Seger (Original)
0 - Golden Earring (Cover)

You know what? I think it's about time to make a brand new battle and upload it tomorrow! This one has gone on long enough now (WAY too long if you ask me, ahuh) and we need some fresh blood in here!!

New battle coming tomorrow! =)

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

The last given score count will also be the final one for the previous battle... on we go to the next one! And so, as promised, it's time for a brandnew battle!! Feast your eyes and ears on this people!!! =)

Battle # 15 : Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8516640490_91f677907d_b_d.jpg

And of course, some examples to help you choose your winner in this battle :

~ (Peter Green's) Fleetwood Mac (Original - 1970)
~ Judas Priest (Cover - 1979)
~ Arthur Brown (Cover - 1997)
~ Therion (Cover - 2002)

Ring that Manali... errr... BELL!!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

I think this may be the first cover battle posted in which I don't know the song at all.

The Listen:
Fleetwood Mac - It's weird how much early Fleetwood Mac sounds nothing like later Fleetwood Mac. I really do like Peter Green. And since he inspired Gary Moore, two thumbs up. This song, I'd give it a listen on the radio, but I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain it, although I may have it. I have a couple of early Mac cd's.

Judas Priest - Pretty good cover. I like what they've done with it. As I said, it's weird trying to compare them since I don't know the song at all. Just got to the guitar solo, now that I really like.

Arthur Brown - Never heard of this guy. This one I don't really care for. It seems to combine Mac's vocals with Priest's music. Just a weird combination.

Therion - I think I've heard of them, but could tell you absolutely nothing about them. First impression - Megadeth cover band? I do like the music in this song, but don't care for the vocals in this case.

The Vote:

4) Arthur Brown - I just don't think the song comes together in this version.

3) Therion - Really do like the music (very Megadeth-y). Don't really care for the vocals so much (very Megadeth-y).

2) Fleetwood Mac - I do like this version, but it seems to almost sap energy from me somehow. I don't mind these kind of songs, but this just doesn't seem to fit the groove for me.

1) Judas Priest - Never thought I'd vote for them in anything as I'm hardly a fan, but I do like their version of this song the best. Nothing wow and amazing, but just well done.

So my vote - Judas Priest.

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

Well, I didn't know this song at all and, also, half of the artists of this round. Besides, I have to say that this song really gives me bad vibrations. It's definitely not a song I can listen to many times.

I think Judas Priest's cover is okay, though I'm not a fan of the singer's voice because I don't think it fits this kind of song quite well. However, it sounds like any other rock song (no offence). There is nothing, in my opinion, that makes this cover stand out from the rest. It's just okay.

What I like the most about Therion's cover is the guitar sound. It is pretty good. They made this song much more upbeat, so they somehow erased the strange atmosphere that the original song has.

Arthur Brown did a good job with this song, as his cover is quite peculiar. I really enjoy the musical part, especially the saxophone (which I never expected to see in a song like this, to be honest). Though the way he sings may be a bit theatrical, I think his voice really suits this song.

And finally the original, which has an incredibly spooky vibe like none of the above. It scares me for some reason. Maybe because of the guitars or the way it is sung or both, I don't know. So that's the main reason why I'm voting for it, because it's been quite a long time since a song has made me felt this way. Maybe this isn't the most solid reasoning, but it's the only one I have.

So my vote goes to Fleetwood Mac.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I'm going to be honest, I didn't really care much for any version of the song.

The original version by Fleetwood Mac was a bit too psychedelic for my tastes. It seemed as if it focused too much on the weird psychedelic vibes it was trying to put out there rather than the music itself, which reflected upon the poor quality of the song. Arthur Brown's version was a tribute to Peter Green, so of course it sounded similar to the original version.

If I had to choose one, I would have to go with Judas Priest because they gave it a more upbeat, solid feel that the original version lacked. It actually sounded somewhat professional and not just like a bunch of guys in their garage jamming almost indefinitely. Therion, who based their cover off the Priest version rather than the original, also did a fine job, but the voice was a bit over the top and it sounded like they were just trying to dramatize the Priest version. Still would be my second choice, if I had to pick one.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Ok, since we're on the second page for this battle, I'll add a tally so that others can see the competitors. For those that need samples to rate the songs, they can be found on page 18 of this thread.

So the totals for this battle so far:

Judas Priest - 2
Fleetwood Mac - 1
Arthur Brown - 0
Therion - 0

Bring in the votes people!

Showing 166-180 of 198