ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169731
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Aerials is one of my favorite songs. It's really graceful, beautiful, powerful and genuinely moving. Anyway, Serj Tankian's lead vocals are in my opinion what makes the song so great. His vocal range varies from a barely audible whisper to a melodic and well rounded choir voice or to a dark prophetic tone. Serj's voice totally hypnotizes me ...

So, System of a Down!

OneNight
OneNight
6 posts
Nomad

wis battle go draw

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Sorry, sorry, sorry for being 2 days late! I had a lot of stuff (MBWC prep) to do, including attending a concert last Thursday, so I had to let the deadline slip for once! (o.O)

Looks like the original version prevaled once again and left the covers standing in the cold! =)

6 - System of a Down (Original version) - WINNER!
-VS-
2 - Amon Amarth (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - The Pretty Reckless (Cover version)

On with the next battle in the 'OvC' thread! This one is suggested by ilberic, big thanx! =D

Presenting...

Battle # 4 : Rocky Mountain Way!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5240/7379969386_f7c4f5d4dc_z_d.jpg

Some information on all 4 songs :

- Joe Walsh (Original version - 1973)

- Triumph (Cover version - 1977)

- Ozzy Osbourne (Cover version - 2005)

- Godsmack (Cover version - 2012)

On with the show! Ring that bell reff!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

Godsmack

I love the Eagles but I've never been a fan of Joe Walsh, I like the original done by him, but he isn't my choice.

I like Ozzy too, but not his newer stuff, Ozzy has gotten extremely over-rated, and his singing has become so hard to understand.

I've never heard of Triumph.

And I love Godsmack, they're a lighter metal for me but they're metal all the same. So I vote for Godsmack.

Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

@Fallen950 agreed , Ozzy was a symbol but has now just become a withered old man and his talent went downwards as well.
My vote goes for godsmack on this one, the original wasn't bad but i like the feel that Godsmack added to the song.

[Bold]Vote goes to Godsmack[/Bold]

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Compared to the original, Triumph didn't bring anything new. Their version is very nice too, but the original just has more charme.

Ozzy Osbourne? Meh. He distorted the melody and still tries to keep the light feeling of the song, in which he fails. And his voice just doesn't sound good to that song.

In this aspect Godsmack did it much better, they tried to adapt the song to their way of playing music. It sounds good, not distorted as in Ozzys version, but almost too smooth, and so unlike what I know of them.

I think I'll stick with the original, by Joe Walsh. The way he played and sang it just matches the tune the best.
Godsmack would come second, Triumph third and Ozzy last.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

This one was Joe Walsh from the get-go for me. But to be fair and opinion-filled I listened to the other 3 as well.

#1) Joe Walsh - Original's always get that extra bias just for being the original, but I love his voice on this song, and I've always liked his guitar.

#2) Godsmack - I surprised myself with this ranking, as I'm not a Godsmack fan by any stretch, but I think they changed it enough and kept the integrity of it at the same time. So while Walsh is far ahead of them on this song, Godsmack is far ahead of the next competitor, which is..

#3) Triumph - The music just doesn't sound different enough from Walsh's. I like the guy's voice, but I don't like the way he sings this song. Under certain circumstances, I might guess that this was Walsh doing the song live or a different version of his own song. Bottom line is nothing grabs me about this version..

#4) Ozzy - I like Ozzy's voice. I like Ozzy's music. This song SUCKS. I know at this point Ozzy is understandable only on his best day of any given year, but this version is just atrocious. I mean, he has to be mind-blown when he did this, it just stinks so bad.

So count my vote for Joe Walsh.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

1) Joe walsh- really is tied with Triumph but is the original so ya
2) Triumph- sounded the same as Joe Walsh's version which was my favorite
3)Godsmack- did not really like the spin they put on it.
4) ozzy- I did not like it at all. It was horrible to me.

Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

There are a lot of great covers. The

Punk Goes
Pop albums are covers and quite a few of them are great. There about 4 albums now
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Bravo, MrDayC! Nice job with this contest thread. You deserve a standing "O".

My vote goes to Joe Walsh. I closed my eyes and simply listened to each and every other version. Everyone else was simply paying homage to Mr Walsh. No one even altered the intro all that much or stylized the rhythm, tempo or vocals. As far as the competitors second place should go to Godsmack. I had to stand up and boogy to their version.

I reserve the right not to comment on Mr Ozzy Osbourne's version.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ Xcalibur45 : Thanx for the suggestion! Already got that idea from Zamiel, so I'm definitely going to check those out! Thanx! =)

@ Everyone : Thanx for all your votes! I'm glad you all like the thread and participate in it! Really appreciate it!! *two thumbs up*

---

This battle is (again *sigh*) overdue already!! Sorry guys and gals... but I can't seem to keep my promise to post a new battle every week! Ooops...(o.O)

Well, it's time anyway, so first the final score for Battle # 4 - Rocky Mountain Way and it seems as the original won again! Let's see :

4 - Joe Walsh (Original version) - WINNER!
-VS-
2 - Godsmack (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Triumph (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Ozzy Osbourne (Cover version)

That's that... now, time for me to post a battle of my own, but rest assured... suggested ones will follow again, all in due time!

Presenting Battle # 5 : All Along The Watchtower

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7137/7447974574_58380dd9d6_c_d.jpg

As always, some information for you to decide who's version's the best!

Battle # 6 : All Along The Watchtower

- Bob Dylan (Original - 1967)

- Jimi Hendrix Experience (Cover version - 1968)

- XTC (Cover version - 1978)

- Grateful Dead (Cover version - 1987)

- Dave Matthews Band (Cover version - 1990)

- Michael Hedges (Cover version - 1993)

Allright... swing that hammer and ring that bell!!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Oooooo, am I the first to vote?

Oh, thank you MrDayC this was a very special treat for me to listen to all of these versions, most for the second (cough) time.

I'm afraid I'm at an empasse as I find it very difficult to decide so I'll look at it this way:

on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best

Original, Bob Dylan
one of the greatest "folk" writers/musicians of my generation and perhaps of all time. He does deserve recognition but the harshness of the harmonica is hard for me to suffer through. I also find it difficult to appreciate his singing voice.
I give the original an 8.

Cover #1 Jimi Hendrix
His version defines the &quotsychodelic" rock music that emerged from the first "Wood Stock" and is the most influential version defining the "Viet Nam" era. I don't think his improvisation is the best though when compared to the next 4 versions. He gets a minus on vocals and guitar.
I give improv #1 an 8

Cover #2 XtC
This version defines the emergence of "break-out" or "alternative" rock. The vocals are a little harsh but the guitars and drum balance it and I really like this improvisation so,
I give improv #2 a 9

Cover #3 Grateful Dead
This version defines the mello end of the alternative scale of rock hence the "dead-head" reference to describe the fans. The vocals are weak but the guitar is strong and I like this version so,
I give improv #3 a 8 1/2

The real contest for me and what's giving me such a tough time deciding who's best are:

Cover #4 Dave Matthews
I find absolutely nothing wrong with this improv. The vocal is strong and the guitar is superior so,
I give improv #4 a 9 1/2

Cover #5 Michael Hedges
I was knocked out with his intro and I find myself wanting to actually buy his music, today! So I give improv #5 a solid 10. Truly outstanding improv and far surpasses the original.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Meh... I don't know but I simply love that song, as played by Bob Dylan. It has an almost poetic feel to it, which I miss in the covers, who are neat and all but kinda boring. Don't know what it is, maybe the underlying drum set rhythm, or the way he sings it, or his harmonica; both last things I actually enjoy in Bob Dylans style, contrary to wajor (though I can perfectly understand why she doesn't like it ).

So once again, I'm sticking with the original. Bob Dylan for me.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

*bump*

Thank you HahiHa for understanding...
I do agree with you on the original version and that was another reason I had such a tough time voting.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Ok, here we go, commenting as I view..

The original, Bob Dylan, I don't mind his vocals.. in fact I prefer them to Hendrix's vocals nearly every time (maybe not recently, but whatever)

Next, Jimi Hendrix, I actually like the guitar work in this one, though I've long considered Hendrix to be an overrated guitar player... (So far, it's a tight battle, which surprises me.. on to the next one)

Next, XTC.. what the heck is this?!? The music is weird and the vocals sound like they are trying to sound like Dylan. I don't know what they normally sound like but this version is crap... Next!

Next, Grateful Dead.. very, uh, Grateful Dead-y. It's not bad, but it's not impressing me either. I like the music to it, but the singing isn't pulling me away from Dylan or Jimi.. movin' on!

Next, Dave Matthews Band.. hate live versions just because of this type of thing.. Ok, these vocals I love! Definitely my favorite so far lyrically. The music is pretty decent as well. I believe we have another challenger! Just got to the second half, or the pickup... loving this version! Ok, moving on..

Next, Michael Hedges.. It's weird, but I don't know that I care for this song with smooth vocals, and he seems to have that. He's a good singer, but I don't know that I want that for this particular song. It's a nice version, but it's not for me.

So what do we have, 6 songs? Ok, here they are from worst to first..

6) XTC.. just get that crap out of here.
5) Grateful Dead.. maybe a better quality version could have bumped it up
4) Michael Hedges.. smooth vocals, not what I'm lookin for here

and now it gets tough

3) Jimi Hendrix.. could easily be 2, but not today..

and the runner up is.. a commercial break..
(previously on my vote.. "and the runner up is..&quot
and the runner up is..

2) Bob Dylan.. my first vote against an original (Dang you DayCee!). Jimi could have had this spot for a few years, but I've fell in love with Dylan's music recently, so he gets the edge. Plus, he's the original, always an edge there.

which means, my vote and #1 on this list

Dave Matthews Band. I love the way he sings this, I love the pickup halfway into the song. If only the crowd would shut up, I'd like it more.

Vote - Dave Matthews Band.

Showing 46-60 of 198