Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

Posted Nov 23, '12 at 6:20pm

AvengedSevenfold11

AvengedSevenfold11

529 posts

Very cool Thread idea!
If i may make a suggestion battle:

Holy Diver Original by Dio, cover by Killswitch engage

Posted Nov 23, '12 at 6:44pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

4,300 posts

Holy Diver Original by Dio, cover by Killswitch engage

For suggestions comment to MrDayCee.

Posted Nov 25, '12 at 12:35pm

kegaumongo

kegaumongo

1,846 posts

The Chipmunks? Really? I never imagined that I’d see them here. Well, there's nothing much left to say about this one. I guess this can be fun the first time you hear it, but after a while you realize that these high-pitched voices are incredibly annoying. So please, keep the helium away...

Weird Al Yankovic's cover isn't as bad as I expected. The lyrics are fun and the musical part is also good, though it seems to me that it's taken from Billy Idol's cover.

I usually like covers that are completely different from the original one. What I like about Amazulu's cover is that they tried to make their own version and I applaud that idea. However, the melody is quite similar throughout the whole song and it's like I'm listening to the same loop over and over again. So, unfortunately, it gets boring quite fast.

The only thing that I comes to my mind when listening to Status Quo is that they do a correct cover. The sound and the vocals are good, but that's all. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent cover, but they just do that: they play it well. There's nothing special (at least, to me) that makes this stand out from the rest. Besides, the singer needs to be more motivated by what he's doing. Maybe he didn't have a good day, but in my opinion that attitude affected the song negatively.

To be honest, I didn't like Billy Idol's cover when I listened for the first time. Actually, I started to like it at the third time or so. Though it definitely has a more modern sound, the spirit of the song is still there. I really enjoy the guitar solos and he has a good energy on stage (that is what I call a motivated singer).

I just love the original. It's the only one that gives me chills. I really like that "old" sound and the energetic spirit of the song is refreshing. The singer's voice is quite peculiar, but it fits incredibly well with this song.

So the original wins again: Tommy James & The Shondells.

Posted Nov 26, '12 at 10:45am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

Eesh, this is a long one..  part of the reason it's taken me so long to get here probably..  Well, away we go:

Tommy James - DayCee, you sure have a knack for finding horrible quality videos, lol.  Not much to say about this version since it's so huge already.  Classic.

Billy Idol - I've always liked Idol, but I've always thought him weird in that he looked way harder than he sounded.  The guitar solo sounded kind of amateurish actually.  Dunno, obviously the most famous cover of this song, but really, I'm not all that impressed.

Amazulu - unfortunately, this video can't be viewed in the US apparently.  :/

uh, the uh Chipmunks.. (you're a dork DayCee) - That is just horrible.  Don't get me wrong, I like the Chipmunks and have a few covers by them (Beat It, Achy Breaky Heart and others), but this is just horrible.

and now for something a little less weird... Weird Al (must have been on some goofy pills when you piled this one up Day, lol) - I don't know that this one should really count because it's not the same song.  I've always liked this one, but I'll take the original lyrics.

and now for something I expect to be status quo... Status Quo - very, uh, unexciting.

Now for the votes:

6) Chipmunks - awful awful song.
5) Status Quo - boring boring song.
4) Weird Al - weird weird song.  perhaps I should begin elaborating more?  lol.  Not the same words, so I'm not counting it as the same song, but it was still better than the other two.
3) Amazulu - no video or way to judge, but I'm assuming it's the same song, in which case I put it here.  There are no points for 3rd place anyway, so it doesn't really matter.  Just kind of making a point about the other 3 songs really.
2) Billy Idol - I like the song.  I'm unfazed by the guitar solo.  So nothing really puts it over the top for me.
1) Tommy James - bad video, good song.  If nothing exceeds the original then the original wins.  Such is the case here.

My vote - Tommy James.

Posted Dec 13, '12 at 9:53am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

I know this is going to look like a double post, but since my last one was so long ago, I don't think it matters...

I'm not sure if DayCee has lost the time to keep this thread going, but I figured a score update would help renew interest as well as scare up a couple/few more votes...

So here it is:

-vs-
1 - Status Quo (Cover version)
-vs-
0 - Amazulu
-vs-
0 - The Chipmunks & The Chipettes
-vs-
0 - Weird Al Yankovic

So the original has jumped back on top..

More votes please :)

More DayCee please :)

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 3:54pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,732 posts

I've been slacking my competitions a bit, but luckily... my good friend ilberic stepped in for a moment (for old times sake) and kept it alive, thanx buddy! =)

Well, since the score has already been counted for the last battle, and nothing has changed since (Original = the Winner!), I'll quickly move on to a flash battle I thought of recently! A good old rockin' classic!

Battle # 12 : American Woman!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8278004899_f2a968070a_b_d.jpg

And of course, some examples to help you choose your winner in this battle :

~ The Guess Who (Original - 1970)
~ Krokus (Cover - 1982)
~ Lenny Kravitz (Cover - 1999)

It has been long enough! So...

"Won't y'ring that beee-heeelll... mama if you pleeee-eeease!" Duhduh duhduh duhhh duduh...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

Here we go!! VOTE!

Posted Dec 17, '12 at 9:46am

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

4,300 posts

The Guess Who for sure. This one is just a no-brainer in which the classic original will always prevail xD

So my vote is The Guess Who.

Posted Dec 23, '12 at 5:34am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,076 posts

Knight

Yay for Swiss band! :D

Though I have to place them second...
The original has the best rhythm, groove, voice. Krokus made a great version on a slightly harder rock style, sound great too, but The Guess Who are instrumentally still better.
And Lenny Kravitz just made something completely different, and it doesn't sound too good. It's not bad, but it's too slow and the music video is too heavy on flags and women symbolism.. besides he's American himself so singing that song is kinda weird..

Posted Dec 24, '12 at 1:39pm

kegaumongo

kegaumongo

1,846 posts

I guess that Lenny Kravitz tried to make his own version of the song, or, at least, something different from the original. In fact, I didn't know that it was a cover until a few minutes ago. I don't know why, but I always assumed it was an original song. However, I find it extremely noisy at times. I usually like the sound of the guitar, but in this case it's too much. As if this were not enough, his distorted voice at the end of the song just makes me want to press the mute button. Definitely, it's a song that I don't want to listen in a while, sorry.

Krokus does a nice cover. It keeps the original spirit of the song, but they make it a little more rockier. In this case, I really like the guitars. The only thing I don't like much is the high pitched voice of the singer, but it's something bearable.

Once more, the original is the best in my opinion. I really enjoy the beat of this tune. Besides, everything seems to be perfectly balanced. Great sound and rhythm, amazing guitar and excellent vocals. I love his voice.

So my vote goes to The Guess Who.

Posted Dec 28, '12 at 10:44am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

Well, unless I am surprised somehow, I already know who I'm voting for in this round, but let's do it right...

The Listen:
The Guess Who - Great song by a great group.  Never really saw them before..  Them some ugly dudes.  Anyway, I like just about everything about this version.  As an added bonus, my mother used to have a cassette of their greatest hits, so we kind of wore that tape out :)

Lenny Kravitz - I've always liked this version on its own.  However, as much as I do like it, I've never thought it was better than the Guess Who.  Never really put a finger on why though.  Maybe it's the childhood connection..

Krokus - Really?  What is wrong with these guys?  The music is actually decent I guess.  But when the guy starts singing, I feel he's trying to pretend he's the lead singer of AC/DC.  And that guitar player is a special kind of idiot.  What on earth makes him think anyone in the world wants to see his rear end?!?  And what's the point of playing a guitar with a chopstick?!?  The more I think of this video, the more it irritates me.

Now the voting:

Krokus - wish they would have Krok'd before making this song.

Lenny Kravitz - great cover version of a great song, but not enough to pull him ahead..

Guess Who - Lenny couldn't overcome the childhood memories that I have tied to this song and so they take my vote.

Vote - Guess Who

Reply to "OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

You must be logged in to post a reply!