Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

Posted Jun 8, '12 at 12:45am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

well, i'll tell you this much, I don't like any of the three.  By far the worst is Amon Amarth.. THAT is NOT music.  I have no idea what they call that garbage, but it is NOT music.  I didn't like the sound of The Pretty Reckless either, but at least it sounded like music.  I don't care for her voice that much.

Which means, by default, I vote for System of a Down's original version.  Most stuff I don't like by them, this one included, but it is the type of sound I expect from them, so in that I take some comfort.  Enough comfort to vote for them.

Vote - System of a Down's original version.

Posted Jun 8, '12 at 5:26am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,005 posts

Knight

Actually I like the first two versions, the original and Amon Amarths cover (but I also listen to Amon Amarth already, so unlike ilberic I say this is definitely music; to me at least).

When I heard the original, I didn't think AA could make a good cover of it; however they managed to make a decend cover. I liked that they made it deeper, darker, like their other songs. The only thing that they couldn't adapt better was the growling, of course.

And I think in this case I'll have to put the singing at first line. The Pretty Reckless didn't sound all too good and I don't think her voice goes well for that song. Amon Amarth, even though they made a decent musical cover, didn't make it sound as one of their best songs and didn't keep the original feel either. I'll give credits to Tankjan and his voice, and the musicians accompagnying it; I think it's very difficult to attempt a cover of that band, as with Tankjans voice it gets a very different feel you cannot simply cover.

System of a Down gets the vote (sorry Amon Amarth...)

Posted Jun 8, '12 at 10:32am

cooldownman

cooldownman

110 posts

Amon Amarth's version was ok i didn't really like the so "heavy" screamo that he added, The pretty reckless, terrible, just awful the presentation was terrible, her voice was too quiet and she slaughtered the song in my opinion. So my vote is System Of A Down, i enjoyed there's much more it was just good i liked the singing better than the other two, it had a video (but it was weird).

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 6:24am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,101 posts

Looks like the original version is breaking away with a comfortable 3 vote lead over the cover versions of this song! =D

I personally like the original version the most as well, as I can't stand the heavy 'scream-grunting' in Metal music, 'normal' grunting is good sometimes, but the screaming part is really NOT my cup of tea... A decent second in line would be The Pretty Reckless' version I guess as they made a decent cover, but not outstanding at best.
The original song just has a certain feel to it, probably because Serge Tankian has a really distinctive and recognisable voice that makes for a certain emo to the SoaD songs.
LOL I wasn't going to vote at first, but I guess my reasoning on the song took over and therefor I'm adding my vote for System of a Down's original version of Aerials! =)

First score count shows the (now) 4 vote lead of the original version!

4 - System of a Down (Original version)
-VS-
0 - Amon Amarth (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - The Pretty Reckless (Cover version)

I wonder if any of the other two bands will get a vote though... keep them coming people! Next battle is posted coming Thursday! Only 4 days left to state your vote... =)

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 1:11pm

thepyro222

thepyro222

1,986 posts

I like both the original and the Amon Amarth cover. SOAD is annd always will be an amazing band. I love quite a few songs from them.
However, there is something about Amon Amarth's version that brings out a lot of different flavor in that song. I really like amon amarth's version a lot better.

so I'm going with Amon Amarth.

P.S. Amon Amarth, n'or any other heavy metal band is screamo. Please quit calling it that. Screamo is a mixture of emo music and hardcore punk. Amon Amarth is melodic death metal. The difference is in the guitar. Yes this is music, and it takes a hell of a lot more skill than the computer- generated crap people listen to now-a-days.

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 1:35pm

Armpit

Armpit

655 posts

I'm going to be honest, I didn't like the song period, but I think SOAD did the best job out of the three of them with it. I couldn't really hear Pretty Reckless's voice, and death metal is a taste I'm far from acquiring.

Posted Jun 12, '12 at 8:23am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

melodic death metal

isn't that an oxymoron?

i'm with you though, pyro, when you complain about today's "computer-generated crap".  i just stated my feelings on that style of music, but it's cool that you like it.  i would never think that everyone should listen to what i call music, even though my tastes are pretty far reaching.  they just don't reach quite as far as Amon Amarth and the like..

Posted Jun 12, '12 at 8:40am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,876 posts

Knight

melodic death metal

isn't that an oxymoron?

Nope. Melodic death metal uses components of NWOBHM, where it gets it's ''melodic'' bits, and the heavily distorted guitars, fast double-bass drum patterns and sometimes blast beats of Death Metal. They have clean vocals too, intermixed with death growls/screams, rather than the more heavy usage of just death growls in Death Metal.

Try some of the melodic death metal bands from the Gothenburg scene. In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are all excellent.

Posted Jun 12, '12 at 11:24am

Zamiel

Zamiel

142 posts

@ Nichodemus
I couldn't have said it better myself, as for the suggested bands they are all worth checking out.

And now comes the tricky part, the actual vote.
Needles to say pretty reckless never stood a chance so the fight is on between SOAD and AA.
SOAD: the original and just as unique as every song serj tankian is unleashed upon, his voice is very typical and instantly tells you that it's system of a down. I'm willing to ignore youtube biatching about how we should all listen to REAL rap like drake and lil' wayne and whatnot.
AA: saw these guys live a couple of times now and i must say they never fail to deliver. Their overall sound is better, vocals and instruments as well so mi vote goes to them, though i think it would be a sight to see them cover chop suey.

Amon Amarth get's the vote

Posted Jun 12, '12 at 5:46pm

goumas13

goumas13

4,486 posts

Aerials is one of my favorite songs. It's really graceful, beautiful, powerful and genuinely moving. Anyway, Serj Tankian's lead vocals are in my opinion what makes the song so great. His vocal range varies from a barely audible whisper to a melodic and well rounded choir voice or to a dark prophetic tone. Serj's voice totally hypnotizes me ...

So, System of a Down!

Reply to "OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

You must be logged in to post a reply!