ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169721
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Started June 26th and only 3 votes... *sigh* ...I wish the Popular Media forum would be a little more active as the only threads being posted in as of late contain chewed out topics or blah... =/

*cracks knuckles*

Time to post a new battle in this thread and hopefully get some attention! =)

1 - Bob Dylan (Original version) - WINNER!
-VS-
1 - Dave Matthews Band (Cover version)
-VS-
1 - Michael Hedges (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Jimi Hendrix (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - XTC (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - The Greatful Dead (Cover version)

Fine... that's that, on with the next!

Presenting...

Battle # 6 : The Man Who Sold The World (Suggested by calebsi, thanx!)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8003/7509910510_2f90f5fcce_b_d.jpg

Information on the bands/artists below, as usual...

- David Bowie (Original version - 1970)
- Lulu (Cover version - 1974)
- Nirvana (Cover version - 1994)
- Simple Minds (Cover version - 2001)

Raise your gloves... break a sweat...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I decided the winner with my sole vote? I dunno if this is great or sad... (I'm a One Man Fanbase... F*** yeah \\m/-.-\\m/)

Though, could you explain how Bob Dylan is the winner? wajor was the first to vote in favor of Michael Hedges, so unless you voted for Dylan yourself or give a bonus to the original in cases of a tie, I thought Hedge would win because 'first come, first served'?

I'll vote for the new battle later, though I can already say that by looking at the artists, my bias for Nirvana might decide my vote... but let's Wait And See :P

calebsi
calebsi
202 posts
Farmer

I vote Nirvana

David Bowie - Kurt's voice sounds better than his

Lulu - The song doesn't really work well with her voice in my opinion and I don't like the guitar in the background.

Simple Minds - Too much background noise

Nirvana - Nice and simple

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

And away we go..

David Bowie.. I was surprised, and then not surprised when I heard that this was his song. The first version I heard was Nirvana and I just love their version. Anyway, I don't know if it's the video or what but when Bowie does it, I'm just not excited. I love the guitar in the chorus and when it came, it was non-existent. Plus, the way Bowie sings it, he just seems bored. No emotion at all.

Lulu.. This video is messed up. How does this fit the song at all?!? I'm expecting the Bee Gees to pop out as her backing band while Travolta does the pointy-finger dance. This is just all kinds of weird. As far as the song goes (and why is she smiling all the time?!? grrr), the music doesn't fit the mood of the song. I just can't handle this anymore, it's too bizarre..

Nirvana.. Just. Awesome. His vocals are perfect for this song. I love the music as well, it all just fits together to become my favorite Nirvana song.

Simple Minds.. Either I can't figure out there music on this one or there is something wrong with the video. It sort of sounds like someone is running a lawn mower in the background. The vocals are pretty close to Kurt's, which makes it not that exciting, because it's not different. That combined with the fact that the music is garbage make this one a no go..

So..

4) Lulu - get that disco/happy happy joy joy lookin junk out of here.

3) Simple Minds - Not unique sounding except for maybe the music, but I didn't like that at all.

2) David Bowie - Poor vocals and unclear instruments, but kudos for the song.

1) Nirvana - just a great song all around. love the feel of the vocals, love the accompaniment of the music.

My vote - Nirvana.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Hmmm...I can't really decide..

Well, Simple Mind's version is uninteresting compared to the others. It just hasn't anything special.

Lulu's is actually nice in some way because of that little classy Oldie touch, but I agree that it isn't the best combination.

Nirvana made a good cover, theirs give me slightly more chills at some point than the original, though Bowie sounds more dreamy, and has a bit more flow. His version's video also gets +1 for the pretty percussionist^^
It's true that Cobains voice goes well with the song, but sometimes even he sounds a bit bored; Bowies voice just naturally sounds so.

I really don't know... can I make it a tie? Oh well. There are already two votes out there for Nirvana, so I give my vote to David Bowie (and again I chose the original. Somethings wrong with me..)

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ HahiHa : I actually made a small error there while rushing to make the post and so I forgot to include Dave Matthews and Michael Hedges in the tie-win with Bob Dylan there... sorry!!! (o.O)

---

Sad to see how only a few people continue to check and vote for this thread and it's battles... =/

What happened to all those music enthusiastic AG users?! (o.O)

God, how I long for the good old 'forum-active' days back in 2009 and 2010 sometimes...

I'll post a score count now, but there will be a new battle posted soon! Keep checking in guys!!

So far, the score shows a lead for Nirvana!

2 - Nirvana (Cover version)
-VS-
1 - David Bowie (Original version)
-VS-
0 - Lulu (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Simple Minds (Cover version)

Keep them votes coming people!!! So far it's VERY slow with only 3 or 4 voters with every battle!
*sob* =/

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

It was close between Nirvana and Bowie for me but I liked Nirvana more. Both were really good but I liked Nirvana's voice more.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Time to post the next battle! We have ourselves a clear winner in this one! =)

The score clearly shows...

3 - Nirvana (Cover version) - WINNER!
-VS-
1 - David Bowie (Original version)
-VS-
0 - Lulu (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Simple Minds (Cover version)

Right, on with the show and the next round!! Presenting...

BATTLE # 7 : PROUD MARY

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/7567877502_11a8f29942_b_d.jpg

And here are the example songs of the featured artists :

- Creedence Clearwater Revival (Original version - 1969)

- Tina Turner (Cover version - 1970)

- Elvis Presley (Cover version - 1972)

- Status Quo (Cover version - 1996)

Let's see who will win this round! Raises hammer...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

Let's go! VOTE!!!

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I would say the original in this instance.
In this order:
Original
Elvis
Status Quo
Ike & Tina Turner

The original had a classical feeling for the song, has a better meaning with the old rock style.

Elvis' sounded very good, but a little too fast for the lyrics. It had a nice upbeat feeling though.

Status Quo seemed to try to modernize the song, but it just didn't seem quite right with the electronic guitars of today.

The other one I just didn't like. It just didn't seem like the right feeling in the song.

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

I'll have to go with CCR, the original. I love CCR even though I don't like country, just the little country twang in their music chills my bones. I feel like Ike and Tina butchered the song along with Status Quo. And Elvis' was too fast and upbeat.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Allright! First 2 votes are in! And the original version by Creedence Clearwater Revival seems to be the favorite version so far in this battle! =)

Let's see...

2 - Creedence Clearwater Revival (Original version)
-VS-
0 - Ike & Tina Turner (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Elvis Presley (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Status Quo (Cover version)

Let's keep those votes coming in people!! =)

Tell your AG friends who like music! VOTE!!!

VirtualLife
VirtualLife
276 posts
Nomad

So I'm a fan of Elvis and I love most of his covers...Anyway I think you know where this is going. And usually I like my songs to be a little more up tempo.

Ike and Tina Turner's was kinda slow. And I don't really like Status Quo.

So - Elvis

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

so to start with my vote goes to Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Easily the best and I haven't listened to them all yet. (I'm a Fogerty/CCR fan, so..)

Ike & Tina Turner - I've heard this version several time and I liken it to horkin fiber chunks. I hate just about everything they do to it.

Elvis Presley - He just doesn't fit the song. No one would believe that this song is real to him. I hate the revue feel (i.e. - Ike and Tina)

Status Quo - Nothing really exciting here. Just a blatent cover.

So in order:

4) Ike & Tina - blecch
3) Elvis - noncredibility
2) Status Quo - zzzz

and my (shocking) vote...

Creedence Clearwater Revival.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Ike and Tina Turner's was kinda slow.

You should have listened to the whole thing, as she announced only the first half will be slow. I give her credit for the entertainment and the awesome voice.

I generally like Elvis too, but I have to say that sadly this one is a bad performance for him. He tries to use his usual melodic styles on the song, but it kinda sounds dissonant and, meh, bad. His earlier own song are much, much better.

Status Quo made it a version with a nice rhythm, but their video is the only one I didn't listen to 'till the end because I simply did not wonder how it would end. I even listened to all of Elvis version cuz I was thinking there might be something else coming. Here it was just boring. It doesn't sound bad but it isn't interesting either.

I still prefer the original version of the song, it has the right feelings for the song, the right rhythm, the right accent.. It just sounds right 100%.

We used to sing this song in singing class, I loved it.. anyway my ranking would be as follows:

1. CCR (original)
2. Ike & Tina
3. Status Quo
4. Elvis (sad but true)
Akado
Akado
1 posts
Nomad

whasssupp!!

Showing 61-75 of 198