ForumsGamesBest Pokemon game of all time

80 13907
megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

Post your favourite Pokemon game of all time here. Give your arguments and explanations, and after every week I will tally up the posts and tell you the positions of your fave Pokemon games.

My favourite is Pokemon Black, because of Reshiram and the cool Pokemon in it.

• 80 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

if you count every pokemon game then i say pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of the sky.

if only the main games then i have to say pokemon blue.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Pokemon Yellow. It was with the original 150 Pokemon and was the first(and for a long time) only game where you had a Pokemon follow you around. It is also the only game where you can have Pikachu as a starter Pokemon.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

The first generation of Pokemon are my favorite, and each generation after that has gone downhill. The 3rd generation got pretty redicilous and the 4th and everything after... I can't even look at the games the pokemon bother me so much.

I dislike how there's a "dark" type pokemon and "dark" attacks, but other than that, the new battling system where physical and special attacks refer to the way in which the attack hits rather than attack type is a definite improvement.

That being said, I believe my favorite handheld Pokemon game is Heart Gold, or Soul Silver (I just happen to own Heart Gold). Even though the Pokemon aren't as cool as those in the first gen games, it uses the newer battling system, which I enjoy much more. Fire Red and Leaf Green would be my second favorites. Those games use the old system where physical and special refers to attack type though, which is the only reason those games aren't number 1.

My favorite Pokemon game of all time would have to be the first Pokemon Stadium. Watching the Pokemon battle each other in 3D was just absolutely mind blowing. The audio for the game is absolutely wonderful! When you hear that announcer, it sounds like you're actually listening to a real event where someone is using a megaphone. No other game seemed to draw you into the game in the same manner. It's rather hard to explain.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

First generation had the right idea, and I thought it was great until I played the second. THOSE were complete games. There were no steps back.
The balance and mechanics truly came into their own, there were less bugs, the world was much more interesting, the second generation Pokémon fit nicely with the original ones. The spirit was still there.
Generation 3 was almost as good but not the perfect successor that 2 had been. Still fantastic games though, worthy of the title.
Crystal, being the apex of Generation 2, is probably the best Pokémon game. Or Emerald.

Generation 4 onwards is total crap, I wouldn't remember the Pokémon they brought in even if I cared, someone needs to fire everyone involved in the making of those games. Those new Pokémon look like particularly bad Digimon.

Nintendo ought to reboot Pokémon from Generation 3 imo.

hawkeye
hawkeye
243 posts
Nomad

1- Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
2- Pokemon Gold/Silver
3- Pokemon Diamond/pearl/Platinum
4- Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Green
5- Pokemon Black/White
I've only played the first 3 that's why I love them. I don't like the pokedex of Black/white I hate the pokemons. Except Snivy he's awesome.

Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

While you hate the 5th Generation and sit around and play your Reds and Blues, I enjoy the 3rd Generation the most. (btw, none of you will get the reference) The 3rd Generation brought so much, from double battles, to abilities, and also some of my favorite Pokemon are from the 3rd Generation.

megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

The first generation of Pokemon are my favorite, and each generation after that has gone downhill. The 3rd generation got pretty redicilous and the 4th and everything after...
-NoNameC68

I do not agree with you, but I think the 4th and 5th generations have very good gameplay, but like you and others said, the Pokemon are not as good as the original 150. The reason I like Black is mainly because of the gameplay, the good graphics and the colours. Red, Blue and Yellow have good storylines but the sprites they use look frankly, retarded.(Sorry for the language, but it has to be said.) The original shapes and colours that made the pokemon popular are not there, but in the later versions all that is there and more,(eg. moving sprites) therefore making the play better. You can still capture the originals, but after you have finished the game.

Except Snivy he's awesome
-hawkeye
I totally agree, Snivy is awesome.

I dislike how there's a "dark" type pokemon and "dark" attacks- NoNameC68
Why?

[quote]My favorite Pokemon game of all time would have to be the first Pokemon Stadium. Watching the Pokemon battle each other in 3D was just absolutely mind blowing. The audio for the game is absolutely wonderful! When you hear that announcer, it sounds like you're actually listening to a real event where someone is using a megaphone. No other game seemed to draw you into the game in the same manner. It's rather hard to explain.
- NoNameC68

I totally agree, but the Pokemons cries were all the same. They all went Rarearearaer, which was kindas wierd when you sent a Caterpie onto the field...

But anyway, thanks for your opinions. Still 5 more days to go until this weeks tally up! Get your friends to vote!
megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

That messed up...

Crytera
Crytera
12 posts
Nomad

I love Pokemon Emerald the most. All those Pokemon were so cool, there were about a million legendaries you could get without an event, the starters were really cool, the graphics were improved from Leaf Green and Fire Red and the story-line was really cool!

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

I do not agree with you, but I think the 4th and 5th generations have very good gameplay, but like you and others said, the Pokemon are not as good as the original 150. The reason I like Black is mainly because of the gameplay, the good graphics and the colours. Red, Blue and Yellow have good storylines but the sprites they use look frankly, retarded.(Sorry for the language, but it has to be said.) The original shapes and colours that made the pokemon popular are not there, but in the later versions all that is there and more,(eg. moving sprites) therefore making the play better. You can still capture the originals, but after you have finished the game.

lol the games came before the anime if im not wrong so the sprites should be closer to the original idea then the anime XD but i do understand you.

still, the sprites were only ugly in blue/red (from what i remember) and they already turned great in yellow.

btw. lol what story line?

i cant say why i like the first games the most though. maybe because they actually kept it simple...
megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

btw. lol what story line?

story line is the story, the events that happened in the game/movie/book/play/tv show.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

story line is the story, the events that happened in the game/movie/book/play/tv show.

....... i meant that in a tone that means there was no story line. except for that team rocket hideout there was nothing there... i know what a storyline is...
GameWorldLeader
GameWorldLeader
76 posts
Nomad

id say sapphire because it was before all the chaotic mess of features and it was simplistic pokemon fun, just enough extra stuff to keep you entertained and a nice storyline

Lendek
Lendek
45 posts
Nomad

pokemon yellow of course

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

I do not agree with you, but I think the 4th and 5th generations have very good gameplay,

I should have been more clear, I was talking about the Pokemon themselves. The gameplay is constantly improving! That's why I listed Heart Gold and Soul Silver as my favorite, because they combine 1st and 2nd generation with 4th gen gameplay.

I have no idea what you mean when you say that all the Pokemon in Stadium had the same cries. They did sound somewhat similar due to them using the same cries that were in the original games, but really that's nothing to complain about. We have to remember that Pokemon Red and Blue came out before the Gameboy Color.

You can't really blame a GameBoy game for having sloppy sprites.

http://i50.tinypic.com/jrzd5k.png

Okay... sometimes you can.
Showing 1-15 of 80