ForumsNews and FeedbackRandom User

7 2789
ArchKnight
ArchKnight
120 posts
Shepherd

As the title suggests I think that having a Random User button might be a good idea as it could allow you to meet new people on ArmorGames which you otherwise wouldn't have. The forums is already a great place for this but having this feature is also good for someone who is just looking for someone new to talk to. So, what do you all think?

- ArchKnight

• 7 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

On AG2, this could be abused, but this seems like a good idea for AG3. However, most users are created just to save high scores, so the use of a random user button will usually not work as intended.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

With 2 million+ ghost users, the chance of the random user button landing on an active and/or sociable member is so ridiculously slim that I can't even think of an analogy to describe how slim it is.

If you're interested in meeting new people who may be interested in meeting you, keep an eye on the Newcomer's Forum.

ArchKnight
ArchKnight
120 posts
Shepherd

With 2 million+ ghost users, the chance of the random user button landing on an active and/or sociable member is so ridiculously slim that I can't even think of an analogy to describe how slim it is.

Ah right. I see what you mean by that Ernie. I didn't think of that at the time. But, what if the system was improved so that user active in the last 30 or so days will appear there? It would make it more liekly that a user is "active" and there won't be any problems regarding "ghost" accounts.

- ArchKnight
ArchKnight
ArchKnight
120 posts
Shepherd

Ah right. I see what you mean by that Ernie. I didn't think of that at the time. But, what if the system was improved so that user active in the last 30 or so days will appear there? It would make it more liekly that a user is "active" and there won't be any problems regarding "ghost" accounts.

- ArchKnight
ArchKnight
ArchKnight
120 posts
Shepherd

Ah, I'm really sorry about the double post. There seems to be a problem with my connection here and it must have sent the comment through twice in transit.

On AG2, this could be abused, but this seems like a good idea for AG3. However, most users are created just to save high scores, so the use of a random user button will usually not work as intended.

Abused? In what way do you mean? I can see how the High Scores part could be a problem but they must visit their profile some time, right?

- ArchKnight
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

but they must visit their profile some time, right?
no they don't, my brother doesn't ever visit his profile that i'm aware of.

~manly man
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Abused? In what way do you mean?

It's abusable in AG2, but not AG3. It can be abused in AG2 because people could click the button over and over again and make spam comments on each profile they get to. This only works in AG2 because AG2 would award AP to anyone who spams random profile, but AG3 will not award AP for comments, and I'm not even sure how profile commenting will work in AG3. Besides, the idea by itself is bad, but the 30 days limit will increase the chance of benefit from the random user button.
Showing 1-7 of 7