ForumsPopular MediaWhat the heck is with twilight

38 13270
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Whats with these movies itss a whole thing about a vampire and a werewolf fighting over one girl umm hello there r more girls out there not just one and what im going to say now will probably fill my profile with angry comments about this but whatever: i think girls just go there to see the dudes on there they dont listen to it at all just stare and drool.

• 38 Replies
Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

Now, I've only ever seen the first movie and parts of the second but to me it comes off as a creepy soap opera. When I say creepy I mean in a rapist/predator sense. It's weird and it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the books are good but the movies are just plain bad.

gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

Well, I don't like it. And I've never watched a full trailer.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

The fans are terrifying too..dated a girl for a bit and she was a huge Twilight fanatic. How much so? She thought she was a vampire like the ones in Twilight...not even joking. Needless to say I ran away from that faster than I would an atomic bomb falling towards me

As for Kristen Stewart...I saw a picture of her with a facial expression...my computer instantly exploded

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

i think girls just go there to see the dudes on there they dont listen to it at all just stare and drool.

I know plenty of guys who love the twilight saga.

I'm just throwing my opinion out. You don't like it, i respect that. I have quite the love for Vampires and a reading obsession so when the books first came out i bought them for a read. They're quite well written although (& it kills me to make this connection, but bear with me) it's similar to harry potter in the sense they started off quite PG and became more violent which is the worst move for movies as you draw in the kid demographic and have to cut the brutal stuff out to keep this demographic.

The movies are.. Okay at best. Sure, Kstew is some nice eye candy. Maybe it's because i'm a raging homo and don't look at rob pat but i find most actors/actresses acting skills woeful in the series. The story line has *something* to it. Hidden beneath the vamp/wolf/depressed girl plot there is a few lessons and a lot one can relate to without drinking blood or not shaving.

That said, i find it a bit difficult to understand why someone who caught the hearts of so many teenage girls would show kstew/bella going into a deep depression, sitting for months on end in the same clothes and having nightmares all because her boyfriend left her. Now call me a lesbian, but that's not something we should be teaching our teenage girls. Have some feminist power women - if a man leaves you, get on with your life.

Then we have Jacob the wolf - not only do we see Bella became a black abyss when Edward leaves her, we see this sweet kid Jake be repeatedly used throughout the saga. Another lesson i don't find appropriate to teach teenage girls. Way to encourage the mind games that already exist.

Bella and Edward fall madly in love and portray "true love" at it's finest - that is, they meet, he wants to kill her and within two weeks they may aswell be married. Now i may be no expert, but when is it ever that healthy to become so obsessed and involved in a relationship to that extent and that fast?

I understand the whole Edward doesn't want to be affectionate or excited incase he crushes and kills his love Bella.. but no guy i know has that self control. Mainly with Kstew. I get what they're going for here and showing Edward being a good boy has it's benefits - teaching kids they don't need to move fast in relationships etc, but it makes Bella look desperate and pretty much like a sex-manic. Just a side note: Sex is great but not great enough to literally beg for it. That's pathetic.

Throughout the saga, Bella kind of destroys her life for Edward and he seriously never seems that grateful. It begs me to question does he really love her?

Now we get more and more introduced to Jake. After Bella has toyed with him, he decides the path to take is sexual assault. Showing a guy forcing himself on a girl, her reacting badly only to then twist it to her falling in love with him too is a little messed up. If a guy tries it on with me, he should just keep trying until i crack? Well that's an unsafe lesson. Not to mention it calls into question her "true love" for Edward. Now she does feel bad about it - but does the books or movies really portray the extent in which she should feel bad? No. She leads two guys on to a horrific extent and they seem to accept it. Uncool.

Leaving sex out until the end was a pretty good move at first from Stephanie Meyer - Well done for showing you can be with a guy for years, not sleep with him and he'll still love you. Now that is a really good message for teenage girls. What isn't a good message for teenage girls is that you should get married at eighteen, have sex and get pregnant... and die.

http://chzdatingfails.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/dating-fails-at-least-you-didnt-end-up-like-lohan1.jpg

Bellas killer but cute baby and the massive war at the end is good going, things get a little more exciting. But i'm a little iffy about this imprinting business and jacob turning out to be a paedophile - but not really because it's explained nicely as true love and non-sexual? Well okay then.

So although i like it, i've read and watched, and i'll admit i even went to the latest premier at midnight. I don't think it's that great of a story to teach morals.

My version would have seen Bella realize she was gay and get with alice.
Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Well, Edward is 108 years old....

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Oh yes, can't forget that point Bluydee.
Not only is Jacob in love with a newborn half vamp baby, Edward is almost 100 years older than Bella.

The main love stories in this book are based upon paedophilia. Well done Stephanie, well done.

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

And it makes no sense, because the only reason Bella couldn't have her mind read by Edward was because she was just a pretty snowflake everybody loves.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

And it makes no sense, because the only reason Bella couldn't have her mind read by Edward was because she was just a pretty snowflake everybody loves.

Another thing i don't understand - she was supposed to be this plain girl who was just special to Edward and jacob.
So why does everyone love her?

I mean she blows her "friends" off so much and they're always there for her.
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I think more people hate on this series just because it's cool to hate on this series rather than those who sincerely have tried watching it and truthfully dislike it.

I personally don't care for it but I'd watch it if say, my girlfriend wanted me to. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

Oh and, Ashley Greene. That is all.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

They're quite well written

Alright. Some background. I've read most of book one. I've seen the first three movies. The movies were okay (3 was good, at least) but we won't spend much time on them. The thing you have to accept about me, and I'm just asking you to accept it because I won't waste time trying to prove it is that I didn't want to hate Twilight. I'm not the typical ignorant, Twilight hating Bieber hating mindless moron you see on the Internet. I actually wanted to LIKE Twilight.

So yes, as the person I quoted insinuated, Twilight had some feminist issues. I don't think she quite got the part where Twilight is almost literally a celebration of antifeminism and male domination, paired with a strict rejection of female autonomy and personal growth, but I'll give her cred for working towards that. My issue is with the bit I quoted.

No it's not. It is not well written. It is actually extremely poorly written. Like, objectively. Yes, one can point out that that is an inherently subjective issue. While technically true, pointing that out is unhelpful. See, such observance of subjectivity gives this flawed view where everyone's opinion is equal and valid. Which isn't true. If you believe Twilight is well written, it's probably because you don't know what you're talking about. You're probably an uncultured barbarian and don't appreciate good writing for what it is. That goes for all of you.

So for all of you who appreciate drivel for what it is, good for you. It's awful. You like it. Great. For all of you intellectuals out there who intellectually appreciate drivel, and like to really discuss it deeply, just stop. Read some Faulkner or Joyce. If you think Twilight is well written after that, there may be no hope for you.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Oh and, Ashley Greene. That is all.

Man after my own heart.

You're probably an uncultured barbarian and don't appreciate good writing for what it is. That goes for all of you

or all of you intellectuals out there who intellectually appreciate drivel, and like to really discuss it deeply, just stop. Read some Faulkner or Joyce. If you think Twilight is well written after that, there may be no hope for you.

Well now i think this is a tad unfair but maybe because i didn't expand.

Well written. For it's genre.
Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

I didn't really like it, thank you very much. It spent way too much time talking about the setting and character's details rather than the story. And Edward should've burned up and died.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

what's with twilight, it's that stupid sparkly vampire. with any luck within the next 10 years it will be mostly forgotten about

~manly man

nada_a_ver
nada_a_ver
4 posts
Nomad

I agree

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

what's with twilight, it's that stupid sparkly vampire. with any luck within the next 10 years it will be mostly forgotten about

Didn't they say that about Harry Potter?

Don't get me wrong - i'm not insane about twilight. I don't particular like or dislike it. But it's a good franchise.
Showing 16-30 of 38