Cenere's hilarious shenanigans - free tea by the door [locked by request]

Thread Locked

Posted Jul 23, '12 at 8:33am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

I suspect Danish Google might be biased on more regional art:
http://***************.com/-no2heFH1c5Y/TrgTkG_hf8I/AAAAAAAABJU/mRiZZZnbGb0/s1600/Helhest.jpg
http://www.bagklogskab.dk/fjerne-tider/dyreskikkelser/helhesten.jpg
http://bibliotek.kk.dk/files/content_images/gengangere-og-helhest_2.gif

Or, well, biased towards Danish sites, obviously.
I should probably wait till I get home and find my reference book for animal skeletons, it might help out better.

Posted Jul 23, '12 at 11:37pm

daleks

daleks

3,212 posts

Hrm...I should have thought about Danish Google.

Slight rant now nothing to do with your art.
I cannot believe that this thread doesn't have more views. As hard as you are on yourself Cen you are good. You could probably throw up color on a piece of paper and somehow make it look amazing. I don't see why more people don't come to this thread. Maybe it has to do with the title.
That seemed to turn into something about your art. Sorry.

Anyway, I would redraw it making it more boney. Not as boney as the pictures though. That makes it look like skeletons walking around. So go skinny. Make the ribs more visible and define where bones are. I would advise having a layer of skin on though. I don't like the whole bare bone look. You could do a peeling skin look. I think that would look cool.

But what the hell do I know. While I am not the worst drawer on the planet unless I have something to look at it will be ****. So this is just a few ideas. You don't even have to try them if you don't want. Just do what looks good to you.

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 7:18am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Perhaps people just don't like my art. Or it's really not that great?
My own theory tend to assume that people stick to those that are worse/the same skill level as them, because then they don't feel bad, or stick to the real excellent artists to feel superior, because said artist thanks them and talks to them. If you are mid-range in skills, then you will get nothing, because you are better than the enthusiasts, but not good enough to be worth the time.

I should probably revisit the helhest now that I have my glorious tablet back (now, if it was just working properly...), and see if I could get something acceptable out of it, bony and gloomy as it is.

Now, for something else, as mentioned, my tablet is in my possession again, so let's have some mentally unstable work-in-progress.
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/d-3.jpg
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/dh.jpg
Obviously, the first thing I have to draw is a demon. Which is being violent outside the frame, but I didn't bother trying to finish that.
Also, it makes a lot of sense in its own context, but you guys usually don't care amount my headspawn.

Oh, and since I can't be bothered to suggest this to the community project, because they stopped responding to me:
How to make a makeshift base plot and characters real fast.
A young man has started as an apprentice in a big city. He has never been outside of his small village before now, and everything is new and wonderful and weird, though he is portraying an instant acceptance of all this weird, perhaps to not stand out that much against the city people. Obviously, the poor guy will be put on a journey soon after due to a misunderstanding.
His master will be described in detail from early on, even though she will not be mentioned for the majority of the story, since the apprentice leaves early on, but as she will be significant, and probably also powerful later on, let's put her in as a Chekhov's one-man army.
Elsewhere a mercenary is in big trouble, as the big bad commissioned him to pick up a seemingly uninteresting and common something, apparently while a bigger search party was out to find the "item of doom" that will "destroy the big bad". Obviously, the real item of doom is the one in the possession of the mercenary, and it's all shiny and crap, and the mercenary decided to go 'screw that' and not return it to the big bad, making him the most wanted man, dead or dead, in the country.
Somewhere else, a female paladin is kicking some evil butt, and hears about how the evil, evil big bad is out to kill some poor man somewhere, so she will try to find him. She will also be savvy enough to know what she is standing with, when the mundane item of doom is presented to her.
Random accidents leads all these characters to a specific spot, where an old, but oddly athletic man will present them with a bigger goal, including saving the world. Neither of these characters will at all be interested in this, and walks out on the old dude.
Two minutes later, he is visited by another group of heros, that take up the quest, much to his delight. These characters will contain the usual warrior, sorcerer, rogue combo of adventuring. The protagonists will meet them not much later, when these characters are horribly killed by an orc woman, that ends up forcing them to join her on her own quest, which coincides with some grand plan the big bad doesn't want to get spoiled.
Fighting.
The end.

Or something.

Posted Aug 5, '12 at 5:15pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Perhaps people just don't like my art. Or it's really not that great?

I think the point has been made.

Might as well update before I log for the night:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/dhh.jpg

I think this is a pretty good example on how focused I can get on specific areas, to the point where it no longer match properly. I'll probably correct it tomorrow when I am trying to finish the crown/horns anyway.

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 11:07pm

daleks

daleks

3,212 posts

I still post here, when I see that you have updated it.

My theory is that only awesome people can post on this thread. So I guess only you and I can post here.

I would review your pic but it takes 5 minutes just for a sentance to type out on my phone. So I will wait until I get home in a few days.

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 4:00pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

I wish more people were awesome, though, but it's all well.

Kittendragon of the day:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/de.jpg
I got bored with it.

Coloured sketch of the I-can't-be-bothered-to-start-it-properly:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/4-2.jpg
Mainly because I should be lining my ASC try.

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 5:01pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I've tried to post here at least 5 times but I always get errors.

**** Internet.

The kitten dragon reminds me of a young Cen. So naive... So cute... So green... xD

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 10:55pm

daleks

daleks

3,212 posts

Cen, I think your problem might be you get sick of doing one drawing so you never really finish it. You seem to have lots of half done pieces of work. I am the same way. What you have to do though is just keep working, or better yet work on something else and get back to it. Maybe have 2 projects going at the same time so when you get bored with one you go to the other. And remember quality over quantity. You seem to think Strop is better then you. I think he just spends more time on each one. Notice that he doesn't post pics much.

Anyway, that might help you get more views and comments. But the comments might still just be, 'Good pic' even if it should be 'O Cen. Your drawing is amazing. I wish I could draw that well. I will practice so I can be as good as you. Do you have any tips?'. Some people are just lazy. Also the title is weird.

O ya, I am supposed to be commenting on your art...OK then.

The assume dragon first. I like the dragon. I don't like the skin that connects across the jaw. It would make it hard for the dragon to open it's mouth all the way. The background is OK. The top half is really good. Got the shine of the moon on the clouds and all that. Then the bottom half I don't like. It looks streaky. The sky is not streaky. Get rid of the streaks.

The kittendragon is good. Nice and simple. One part I don't like but that is just a personal thing.

Finish the last drawing and I will comment on it. Right now you would hate my comment.

Posted Aug 7, '12 at 11:00pm

daleks

daleks

3,212 posts

Sorry for the double post here. But I think that is my longest post.

When I was talking about the title I meant the title of the thread. Just wanted to clear that up.

And it should be 'awesome' not 'assume' when talking about the first dragon.

Posted Aug 9, '12 at 2:42pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

The kitten dragon reminds me of a young Cen. So naive... So cute... So green... xD

I don't think I have ever been cute. I guess that is something you need to ask my parents about.
Otherwise I am sure I have essentially been a kitten dragon.

Cen, I think your problem might be you get sick of doing one drawing so you never really finish it. You seem to have lots of half done pieces of work. I am the same way. What you have to do though is just keep working, or better yet work on something else and get back to it. Maybe have 2 projects going at the same time so when you get bored with one you go to the other. And remember quality over quantity. You seem to think Strop is better then you. I think he just spends more time on each one. Notice that he doesn't post pics much.

Nah, Strop just has a better understanding of dynamics than I have. Action poses and the like, while I am more technically skilled.
And I have a patience as a ferret on a sugar high. not so much that I get bored with drawing, as much as I lose interest in the idea, or stop thinking it looks good. Which is probably the same.
I am trying to do something about it.

Also the title is weird.

It is. I wasn't going to use this beyond the first two pictures anyway, but I guess it kinda escalated.
Any ideas for something better?
As for the comments, well... Crits are always welcome, unless otherwise stated, like with the penguin. Which was well received.

The assume dragon first

Which is actually more accurate than 'awesome dragon'. The background isn't finished at all (and I am regretting I am drawing on one layer because it will make it hell to correct. Oh well, hindsight), and they, uh, it is actually inside an abandoned warehouse. It will be apparent as soon as I bother actually correcting the background, and not just do those streaks you don't like... Whenever that will be.
As for the skin, thanks for the crit, but they are going to stay. I know it's a crap excuse, but he's a demonthing, he don't care much about such things as "reality" and "it's gonna hurt if you open your mouth". It just looks cool... Yeah, bad excuse, blame Cen (not me, the other one).

The kittendragon is good. Nice and simple. One part I don't like but that is just a personal thing.

Tell meeeeee.

Finish the last drawing and I will comment on it. Right now you would hate my comment.

Try me.
Because I haven't even started on it yet, as much as abusing the sketch because I was bored and wanted to try getting better at the rough-and-tumble art style some concept artists uses so well. I don't think I succeeded, nor do I think I did particularly well with the colours and the lighting.
Most of the dragon ought to be the greenish red like the wing, because of the overall light from the cave, the shine from the gold should be a lot weaker, just as the dragon should shine back onto the coins. The eye probably should not be glowing anyway, but I just wanted to add another light source. I would probably have to add a primary light source from something in front of it to make the gold shine a bit, instead of having a ghastly green colour as well...

Anyway, instead of doing any of that, I am working on my ASC entry, because I can, except apparently I can't. Never have I felt more annoyed with Kai's semi-suicidal behaviour.