Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

One Dilly of a Pickle, ain't it?

Thread Locked

Posted Sep 25, '12 at 9:21pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

6,891 posts

Part of it is that the contest as its currently being run is on the basis that the judge knows best, when some of the problems have been because of the judges. Judging is surprisingly difficult, and its kinda hard to keep the quality up over extended periods of time.

Which is why I think the judgeship should pass to a new person, among other reasons.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 8:48am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,296 posts

Knight

The rotation is actually working better than prior rounds; we just need judges to give us updates as to when they can realistically post results if they're going to be late. Then again, life is unpredictable.

And Wolf needs a better hamster to power his wonky Internet.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 12:24pm

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

The contests in the AMW forum need to be fixed, like, now.

When you are saying that, are you just referring to the stickied ones, or is there some kind of critique the rest of us are missing?
As for the rest of the AMW: Would be active, but I would also like to win a million and have my own private jet. It just isn't doable beyond what I am currently doing, and it would not surprise me if other people feel the same way.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 6:14pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,633 posts

Knight

AG is and always has been a game site. It will be primarily a game site for the many millions of people; hence tap on that to draw them in. Get people/gamers/Forum Fanatics/ Devs if possible to write in depth game guides. Link them to the Forums where the guides are via the game descriptions. Or put in a guide section on the front page that links to the Forums. That'll bring traffic here, and hopefully they'll creep out of just the game/guides sections once they know about it.

I've already done that. I wrote a guide for Crush The Castle 2 and 2 Players Pack: http://armorgames.com/community/thread/7527664/guide-and-howto-modify-the-code-in-crush-the-castle-2-and-2-players-pack

So I made my small contribution...

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 7:16pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,408 posts

Knight

Which is why I think the judgeship should pass to a new person, among other reasons.

If judging does not occur within 4 days of the deadline, either the judgeship should be passed on or at the very least a new theme should be chosen. It isn't the judge's fault if he can't get online, but that doesn't mean the contest can't progress just because one person is unable to find a way to judge it. If said person is unable to judge for whatever reason, it's everyone else's responsibility to keep the contest going rather than to just let it die. That's why the poetry contest is in the toilet. Nobody who can come online is willing to take responsibility for it.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 8:37pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

If judging does not occur within 4 days of the deadline, either the judgeship should be passed on or at the very least a new theme should be chosen. It isn't the judge's fault if he can't get online, but that doesn't mean the contest can't progress just because one person is unable to find a way to judge it. If said person is unable to judge for whatever reason, it's everyone else's responsibility to keep the contest going rather than to just let it die. That's why the poetry contest is in the toilet. Nobody who can come online is willing to take responsibility for it.

I concur. There seems to be willingness in participation - there just needs to be some participation in the judging section. Might I mention that perhaps no one is asking to step up as judge because, well, self promotion is rather awkward, and no one wants to see themselves getting pushed down because they asked. Plus, Wolf isn't that bad of a judge, and we don't want to see that quality disappear and get really bad judging. It makes for a lot of awkward silence, I suppose.

Has anyone left him a message about it?

I would judge, but I'm not sure if many people really trust me as far as judging goes. If I do this homework thing right, though, I should be fine outside of these next couple days. I certainly have the dedication. Hrmph.
When you are saying that, are you just referring to the stickied ones, or is there some kind of critique the rest of us are missing?
As for the rest of the AMW: Would be active, but I would also like to win a million and have my own private jet. It just isn't doable beyond what I am currently doing, and it would not surprise me if other people feel the same way.

That is true too. I don't feel like using any creativity since I already use so much while reading and writing analysis papers and essays and all of that fun stuff.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 9:09pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,408 posts

Knight

Wolf isn't that bad of a judge, and we don't want to see that quality disappear and get really bad judging.

This has nothing to do with Wolf's judging. If he can't meet the deadline for whatever reason, that's no excuse to stop the contest altogether; it's the responsibility of every participant to keep the contest alive, and if that means choosing a new judge for that particular round, so be it.

And even if a great judge is replaced for one round by a punctual but mediocre judge, at least the contest still gets judged. Bad quality is better than no quality at all.

If he can't get online, leaving him a message isn't going to solve anything.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 9:22pm

pickpocket

pickpocket

5,895 posts

There's lots of interesting stuff there, and no one's looking at it.

That is entirely debatable. In my opinion, their is nothing. I dont feel like rant out, "This has been done before" or, "Thats stupid." So I ignore them. Instead of sitting here complaining about nothing happening, I say you go and make new forums. I have tried. It didnt turn out too bad. As long as you have an interesting topic and have 5 minuets to spare, please I beg of you, make it a thread.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 10:31pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,296 posts

Knight

I concur. There seems to be willingness in participation - there just needs to be some participation in the judging section. Might I mention that perhaps no one is asking to step up as judge because, well, self promotion is rather awkward, and no one wants to see themselves getting pushed down because they asked. Plus, Wolf isn't that bad of a judge, and we don't want to see that quality disappear and get really bad judging. It makes for a lot of awkward silence, I suppose.

Bad Internet at his university.

I would have judged, but I have a poem entered this round. Orion seems to be working on it at any rate.

Posted Nov 22, '12 at 2:14pm

Gantic

Gantic

10,048 posts

I am locking this because someone decided to bump this thread. It is less relevant right now. Changes to Armor Games have been rolled out. We have an active Community Manager. Forums are still quiet... but anyway, unless anyone has a good reason this thread should be unlocked this thread will stay locked. Otherwise, you are free to create a new one.