Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

One Dilly of a Pickle, ain't it?

Thread Locked

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 3:48pm

Patrick2011

Patrick2011

3,774 posts

Then we must somehow get the admins to become non-selective and inefficient. Alternatively, we could at least find out why the admins are selective and inefficient.

The bolded word should be efficient. This is why we need edit post.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 3:51pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

The staff is selective and inefficient, because they can. If the only venue they use to communicating is emails, it's easy to excuse a lack of reply, or a two week reply time with "Oh, sorry, I got swamped with other emails/it got lost/I was busy rock climbing with the guys". If you are visible on a forum, it's a lot harder to hide your activity; if you post in one thread, but not another, then you will be called out on not reply. If you reply to one email, but not the one from a former mod wanting a bit of recognition for their work, then that it is.
It's the perfect trick to keep from having to work with stuff you don't want to work with, but it's crap customer and employee service.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 3:57pm

Patrick2011

Patrick2011

3,774 posts

The staff is selective and inefficient, because they can.

That seems like a good explanation, especially after you elaborated.

If the only venue they use to communicating is emails, it's easy to excuse a lack of reply, or a two week reply time with "Oh, sorry, I got swamped with other emails/it got lost/I was busy rock climbing with the guys". If you are visible on a forum, it's a lot harder to hide your activity; if you post in one thread, but not another, then you will be called out on not reply. If you reply to one email, but not the one from a former mod wanting a bit of recognition for their work, then that it is.

Perhaps there's a clue here...

It's the perfect trick to keep from having to work with stuff you don't want to work with, but it's crap customer and employee service.

I found the solution.

Solution: Make the admins want to show their activity by posting in the forums.

The next step is to figure out how.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 4:05pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Or just employ a community manager. It can't be more expensive than making 100dollar rewards on flash game contests.
But they have nothing to lose. They have been employed to make a flash game web site, and who then care about the main community or the volunteer staff or anything else that doesn't mean instant money/lack of money disappearing.

I don't know...
Just, well, this is the staff that thought it was more important to enable html on the site, but haven't yet fixed the issues we have been dealing with for four years now, and thought it was a nice idea to change the post time setup, but won't be bothered approving an armatar contest.
Says something, doesn't it.

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 4:33pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

No doubt. However, as far as gaming participation goes, I think it's gone up. In my opinion, many users joined to utilize the handy online saving feature instead of having to save locally. It's a lot like PS3 and the PS Vita.

I actually meant community gaming participation AKA playing games together, but whatever.

I understand that, but we're facing quite a bit of spam as of late.

I don't know if you noticed, but that spam was almost always there. The only difference is, I guess mods start from the back and make their way to the front. That would explain why you don't see as much spam from earlier as from more recent times.

I don't suppose spamming the admins' email in-boxes would get them to notice?

Posted Jun 21, '12 at 5:48pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,734 posts

I don't know if you noticed, but that spam was almost always there.

It's even fair to say that it will probably never go away. As long as users get away with posting 'good', '5/10' and 'bad' as a game review (to give an example) and aren't slapped on the whrist for it, it will continue as before... much like weeding, as it pops up behind you while you're busy working the front lines! ;)

I don't suppose spamming the admins' email in-boxes would get them to notice?

LOL Oh, that's surely going to attract the admins' attention at some point! I wonder how quick a bann-hammer can be wielded, but... I don't care to find out! ;)

---

On a different note... how come the relationship between admins and mods is so cooled down as of late? That is... IF it wasn't already that way and... I hope it's not opening a can of worms by bringing this up. =/

I just can't seem to understand how it is even remotely possible to have a somewhat crooked communication between the staff and it's employees... that would surely interrupt the speed and thouroughness of the work getting done or not?

Anyone got Carlie's email perhaps? I'd love to see her becoming active again! =)

Posted Jun 22, '12 at 11:55am

daleks

daleks

3,303 posts

Anyone got Carlie's email perhaps? I'd love to see her becoming active again! =)

Sadly not. Though she is nothing like I pictured her(just don't ask how I know). The problem anyway even if we did have a good way to contact an admin who knows if they would be willing to respond.

Posted Jun 22, '12 at 3:12pm

sensanaty

sensanaty

862 posts

When you see so many of the older users and friends get banned or just leave in a huff, you tend to get prickly.

True, very, very true.

I didn't like Cormyn as a person. I logged in about when he started moderating, and I left immediately. He changed AG, sure, he made it a lot better. But he was way too strict. I mean, when you compare him with a mod like Carlie? There's a huge difference. I think most of us just want a cormyn-type mod, but with the attitude of Carlie. Well, I think. But who am I to talk for the bunch of us, eh?

Go look at Raze 2, and I'm sure you'll find 90% of the comments are spam stating stuff like, "awesome," "good game," "so much fun," and etc.

I don't think you've been on AG for long enough. In 2008, the comment s were identical. There's scarcely any difference. Maybe just merit-worth comments were more common back then, but that's the only thing I can think of.

I understand that, but we're facing quite a bit of spam as of late.

Honestly, the only increase in spam is probably the spam-bots. That's it. Otherwise, game comments, profile comments, everything has the identical amount of spam.

I don't know about you, but sometimes the staff seems to have given up on us.

I don't even know which mods are still active these days, other than Strop. You've said it yourself, the mods have their own personal lives, just like every other person that deserted the site for a year or 2 or 3 did. I love AG and it's community, but if real life calls for me, I'm afraid I'll abandon AG, temporarily.

Of course we can't force people to come, but we can get new users to stay, and there's a lot of potential there.

I rarely see new users that post anything significant. Here and there in interesting threads you see some gems between the newbies, but they don't stay for long. How to make them stay is beyond me though.

Posted Jun 22, '12 at 5:14pm

daleks

daleks

3,303 posts

I think most of us just want a cormyn-type mod

You mean admin? And I got news that cormyn wasn't a community manager or anything, he just helped out users and kept us up to date because he felt it was the right thing to do.

I don't even know which mods are still active these days

Strop isn't really active but shows up from time to time. Frank and Nemo I see a lot. Gantic I see too. Voidy from time to time. I have never seen Zophia, Asherlee, or MRWalker.

Posted Jun 22, '12 at 7:07pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Larry is lroot FYI.

Indeed.

Why would such an IP ban cause you to divide the OP into 2 posts?

I think there's a memory limit because I attempted to post the same information again, but had the same problem. I removed pictures, links, etc. and it worked fine.

As far as getting admins to notice us, let alone WANT to post, I'm sure spamming email in-boxes would result in a ban hammer, as MrDayCee said. Frankly, if they want the future of AG to be bright, we'd still need to employ another community manager. One with a better attitude, and one who can control newbies. Credit on that comment from Patrick2011, Cenere, jeol, daleks, and sensanaty.

While I agree that spam hasn't neccesarily changed much in the past to now, I'd have to say that more of it is coming from potential newbies. In other words, newbies who would usually be taking the leaving veterans's places. This is due to the fact that we aren't proffesional or friendly as we could be. This includes all staff AND regular users.

Sorry for the bad spelling and grammar, I'm using IE and am having a hard time re-reading my post.