ForumsWEPRMainstream Media Biased Against Israel?

44 20285
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Well, it's happened again. Israel retaliates against Hamas and Palestinian militants for firing rockets into Israel, and then CNN, Fox, and BBC cover the story with headlines such as, Palestinians killed in Gaza air strikes, and Israeli air strike kills six Palestinians. No where on either of these sights do they mention that more than 50 rockets were fired into Israel.. First off, where is the international condemnation for these clear terrorist attacks against civilians? How come the U.N. hasn't issued a resolution declaring the attacks to be illegal? And why isn't this getting more news coverage than a retaliation strike?

There are clear cut examples of this every day in the international media. Every time a Palestinian is killed by Israelis, or a mosque is vandalized by settlers, the news jumps on it like it's WWIII. However, a rocket launched into Sderot? Nothing. Ashdod? Who cares? How about Beersheba? Nada. Obviously the plight of poor terrorists is more important that those of evil Israeli citizens.

Why is the media so against Israel? Discuss...and yes, I know. This will eventually turn into an argument about the legitimacy of Israel >.<

• 44 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Hello, you obviously didn't search the right entry in Google, because I have a whole bunch of articles on militants attacking Israel.

Bloomberg BusinessWeek
NY Times
Washington Post

And your Guardian link.

I don't see how this is biased, given that both sides are equally reported on. Furthermore, the writing is quite objective. Lastly it's just tantamount to you saying that somehow reporters aren't allowed to report on Gazans anymore, just because.

Even if the UN has some nation propose a resolution, it will never pass through the GA. You also forget the number of times the US vetoes any resolution that affects the Israelis.

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

I don't see how this is biased, given that both sides are equally reported on.

If you read the headlines, they don't say, "50 rockets launched into Israel, 6 Palestinians killed in retaliation." They say, "6 Palestinians killed by Israeli air strikes." HUGE difference.

Lastly it's just tantamount to you saying that somehow reporters aren't allowed to report on Gazans anymore, just because.

I never said that. What I am saying is that there are many times where Hamas will launch rockets into Israel-unprovoked I might add-and there is not a peep from any non-Israeli website. However, if Israel retaliates, and a terrorist is killed, headlines go up, and the news is broadcast globally.

Even if the UN has some nation propose a resolution, it will never pass through the GA.

Because the GA is an anti-Israeli body, which could never condemn any form of terrorist attack against Israel-no matter that the targets are civilians.

You also forget the number of times the US vetoes any resolution that affects the Israelis.

Irrelevant. Any resolution would go through the GA.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

If you read the headlines, they don't say, "50 rockets launched into Israel, 6 Palestinians killed in retaliation." They say, "6 Palestinians killed by Israeli air strikes." HUGE difference.

I never said that. What I am saying is that there are many times where Hamas will launch rockets into Israel-unprovoked I might add-and there is not a peep from any non-Israeli website. However, if Israel retaliates, and a terrorist is killed, headlines go up, and the news is broadcast globally.

There are. I just gave you some quite prominent ones.

''Gaza Rockets Fired Into Israel Cloud Hopes for Cease-Fire''

''Militants Attack Israelis Across Egyptian Border, Renewing Concerns on Sinai''

''Rocket attacks from Gaza draw Israeli airstrike as cease-fire crumbles''

Are the Palestinians now going to say the news papers are too pro-Israeli?

Because the GA is an anti-Israeli body, which could never condemn any form of terrorist attack against Israel-no matter that the targets are civilians.

Irrelevant. Any resolution would go through the GA.

A resolution going through the GA is pointless, because no security related action can happen without the unanimous backing of all the states. Furthermore, this is the third time I've told you; if most countries see Israel in the wrong, then they see Israel in the wrong. Being all hyped up about it, and calling such opinions which go against you as ''biased'' is moronic. If they choose to be anti-Israeli, they can be. There are plenty of reasons to be so; mostly because they see it as a David vs Goliath affair, which it is. Israel also repeatedly violates human rights of millions of people. Hamas might do it as well, but Israel does it as well, and on a far more wide scale and disproportionate scale.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

why im not suprise to find you here nicudemos ?

its so hard to arggue with you, you are so good.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

unanimous backing of all the states.

in the Security Council.*

Thank you danielo I guess...
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

and yet again, sure, my hobby is to do drive-bys in arabs villages. as i heared someone say "the moto of the Israeli snipers is "one shoot too kills and pregnent women on the picture". sure the situation is a little diffrunte from the city of singapor, but when you will fight malesya, then tell me how you care about the human rights. ok?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

but when you will fight malesya, then tell me how you care about the human rights. ok?

Will we stoop to the point of shooting pregnant women? Maybe, maybe not. But by using a hypothetical situation that is merely a possibility to justify killing is fallacious.

I agree that Israel can retaliate against militants, but some of its actions go too far, such as blocking medicinal aid to the Palestinian people, millions of them. Or cutting their power, or preventing them from seeking hospitals in Israel, leading to expectant mothers giving birth in the streets. I think that goes too far, if all civilians are treated in such a harsh way.
danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

you also Mentioned teh golliath vs david.
in the 1960, when we were the weak and the arabs were the strong the world loved us. so what you say is that the anti-Israelis do it just because what they 'feel', and not becasue of knowledge.
sure, i respect your opinion because you are an intelligent person, but for say in Ireland, i talked to peopels who sure that we are a Dictatorship who built death camps to the poor arabic Orphans, who in retun throw stones and we shoot them. and its them i am against.
because when the media say "and again, fighting in Israel", its heard like this is the daily bases. when they say "2 arabs killed", its sound like this is happned regulary. do you know that the guy who hit the denish protesters as been thrown to military jail? that he was Demoted? and the stuiped settler who shot the palestinians 2 weeks ago has been sent to jail for 25 years? we are not a evil Dictatorship. the arabs have members in our knesset {parliament}.
sure, there are bad things that i am against too, but go and saing we are "repeatedly violates human rights of millions of people" is getting too far. you can go visit Qalqilya if you want. want to travle to hebron? as you wish. there is only 'gates' who look for arms and bombs. and belive me, if you will have to guard there for 10 hours a day, when any momment someone can try to stab you with a Screwdriver, not saying a knife or trying to shoot at you, you too wont be so nice. and the wall? well, it is proved to be A necessary evil to stop terrorist from attacing us. i dont remmember any suicide attacks since it was built.

sorry for the double post

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

and for the medical treatmen - pa lis! people from gaza go all the time to Hospitals in Israel. even when there is a campigane in gazza, wounded still can pass to hospitals in Israel.

and for the medicens - what can we do that ther was more than once when patah tried to smuggle arms that way?

ther is no hospitals in ashdod too {fully Israeli city
]. its a questin of Budget. the west bank can build whatever they want. they are like indipendencce country, only the problme is the borders. they control all the arabic villages and cities in the west bank, collecting the tax {from gazza and the west bank}.

sure ther are problmes in that side too, which i want to change {if ill be able to run to politics as i hope}. but its nothing that blockading Israel will sort.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

in the 1960, when we were the weak and the arabs were the strong the world loved us. so what you say is that the anti-Israelis do it just because what they 'feel', and not becasue of knowledge.

No, Israel was strong in the 1960s. It could take on most of the Arab states by itself in six days.

sure, i respect your opinion because you are an intelligent person, but for say in Ireland, i talked to peopels who sure that we are a Dictatorship who built death camps to the poor arabic Orphans, who in retun throw stones and we shoot them. and its them i am against.

While the death camps are untrue, the IDF did shoot Palestinian children who were stone-throwers.

because when the media say "and again, fighting in Israel", its heard like this is the daily bases. when they say "2 arabs killed", its sound like this is happned regulary. do you know that the guy who hit the denish protesters as been thrown to military jail? that he was Demoted? and the stuiped settler who shot the palestinians 2 weeks ago has been sent to jail for 25 years? we are not a evil Dictatorship. the arabs have members in our knesset {parliament}.
sure, there are bad things that i am against too, but go and saing we are "repeatedly violates human rights of millions of people" is getting too far.

You guys have Israeli Arabs in the Knesset. Israel doesn't discriminate against it's own Arab citizens, but it does against the Palestinian refugees via tremendous amounts of blockades. So yes, it is human rights abuses against millions of starving people.

you can go visit Qalqilya if you want. want to travle to hebron? as you wish. there is only 'gates' who look for arms and bombs. and belive me, if you will have to guard there for 10 hours a day, when any momment someone can try to stab you with a Screwdriver, not saying a knife or trying to shoot at you, you too wont be so nice. and the wall? well, it is proved to be A necessary evil to stop terrorist from attacing us. i dont remmember any suicide attacks since it was built.

Palestinian control of Hebron is of the 20 or 30 square kilometers of H1, which contains around 120,000 Palestinians. In H2, where more than 500 Jewish settlers live among 30,000 Palestinians. The Palestinian populations' movements are heavily restricted, which Israel argues is due to threat of terrorist attacks. Palestinians are barred from using Shuhada Street, Hebron's principal thoroughfare, which was renovated thanks to funding by the United States.
As a result of these restrictions, about half the shops in H2 have gone out of business since 1994 in spite of UN efforts to pay shopkeepers to remain in business. Palestinians cannot approach areas where settlers live without special permits from the IDF.

There are also various other restrictions on their movement.

and for the medical treatmen - pa lis! people from gaza go all the time to Hospitals in Israel. even when there is a campigane in gazza, wounded still can pass to hospitals in Israel.

My bad, Palestinians can be admitted to Israeli hospitals, but many are denied so via intricate blockades. More than 500 Israeli military checkpoints and barriers continued to hinder Palestinians' access to workplaces, schools and hospitals in the West Bank, and Israel continued its construction of a 700km fence/wall, mostly on Palestinian land within the West Bank, separating thousands of Palestinian farmers from their land and water sources. West Bank Palestinians with Jerusalem entry permits were allowed to use only four of the fence/wall's 16 checkpoints.

its a questin of Budget. the west bank can build whatever they want. they are like indipendencce country, only the problme is the borders. they control all the arabic villages and cities in the west bank, collecting the tax {from gazza and the west bank}.

Over 62% of the West Bank, called Area C is till controlled by Israel.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Obviously the plight of poor terrorists is more important that those of evil Israeli citizens.

sure it is

Global media does not cover every thing, many times there are bomb blasts and stuff in pakistan and no international news outlet gives news of it.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

The media are biased against a lot of things. I've read a lot of titles that, taken alone, say something different than the article with the context. It's just how it works, and apparently titles portraying Israel as being mean get higher quotes than the other way round. It's not a conspiracy, it's just quotes. It isn't fair, but so are many other titles. Get over it and stop whining around.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

it's funny, I noticed that this section went on for quite a while without another israel based thread. almost a new record.

guys, like hahiha said earlier, news media is baised all the time, based on the opinion of whoever owns the company that put out the story. just as many news media places support israel in the U.S. as palestine (if anything, the ones that support israel are slightly higher). I'm no expert on the matter, but usually the bias is also implied so the news media can either pander to, or try to gain the following of, people who share that opinon in order to get more money.

this reminds me of a relateable mark twain quote "he who doesn't read the newspaper is uninformed. he who does read the newspaper is misinformed."

in other words, you don't know all of the facts no matter how much you study on the subject.

-Blade

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

You guys have Israeli Arabs in the Knesset. Israel doesn't discriminate against it's own Arab citizens, but it does against the Palestinian refugees via tremendous amounts of blockades. So yes, it is human rights abuses against millions of starving people.

That's like saying that there are African Americans in Congress, but, hey, the ones from Kenya? Nope. And Israel will be perfectly happy to lift the blockades. As soon as Hamas demilitarizes, promises that there will be no violence from the Gaza Strip, and are able to control their own people. Of course, you don't focus on the reasons why there is a blockade. You just focus on the blockade itself.

Israel continued its construction of a 700km fence/wall, mostly on Palestinian land within the West Bank, separating thousands of Palestinian farmers from their land and water sources

What's more important to Israel? Their own citizens safety, or the ability for Palestinian farmers to farm? You forget, after the wall was constructed, the suicide bombings dropped to almost zero.

Global media does not cover every thing, many times there are bomb blasts and stuff in pakistan and no international news outlet gives news of it.

Except the media doesn't exorbitantly cover any retaliation by your government that kills the poor innocent Taliban.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Israel protects it's citizens at the vast expense of others, and if other countries see that as a wrong that's valid, because the lengths that Israel goes to do this is disproportionate. Israel has also not proven itself entirely believable in it's efforts for peace, by continuing construction of illegal villages numerous times even throughout peace talks.

Nor did I say that Israel discriminate against Israeli Arabs, that isn't even pertaining to the topic.

Yes I do focus on the blockade, because millions are at stake. The blockades can also be traced to Israel because of it's reluctance to even commit to peace, hence leading to more Hamas attacks. Of course, you only care about the reasons, and ignore the lives of millions of Palestinians, whilst Israelis are protected by vast military strength and Iron Dome defenses.

After the wall was constructed, you forgot that the lives of millions were badly affected. But of course you don't care, because Israel must have it's cake and eat it.

Showing 1-15 of 44