Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

What is your opinion on the overall state of the U.S.

Posted Jun 26, '12 at 3:42pm

danielo

danielo

1,370 posts

Just to remind you, Sophocles said: "the youth of today is not what it used to be. they are lazy, rude and unwilling to learn".

every generation think that his one is the worst, the one befor were great and the next one is even crapier.

you can almsot say, that in every time, 'your' {all of you} country was in bad shape.

Posted Jun 26, '12 at 6:32pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,760 posts

Knight

Many similarities can be drawn between it and Rome

Yes, like the master of the World attitude. The USA didn't achieve half of what the mighty Rome did and it won't survive as long as the Romans and that's without including the time that the Eastern part lasted before the Ottoman took Constantinople(Byzantium).

Posted Jun 26, '12 at 7:21pm

Beschuss

Beschuss

5 posts

Rome fell because they overstretched themselves, they fell into decadence and their economy could not sustain themselves. The Us has overstretched themselves, they have soldiers deployed all over the world. They have fallen into decadence. They average person has become a slave to tv, video games, and all the luxuries of life. Also of course the US economy. It is at an extremely low point and unless something drastic happens it will not recover to be sustainable levels.

If you want some more on this read this Article [url=http://www.alternet.org/world/154453/why_the_american_empire_was_destined_to_collapse/?page=entire] I suggest people read it.

Posted Jun 26, '12 at 7:44pm

314d1

314d1

3,510 posts

Yes, like the master of the World attitude

That of course Rome had?

The USA didn't achieve half of what the mighty Rome did

Since it is not like we changed the history of the world. Or did anything impressive, like...I don't know, put a man on the moon? Or advance technology at all...

t won't survive as long as the Romans and that's without including the time that the Eastern part lasted before the Ottoman took Constantinople(Byzantium).

It is possible, after all in the modern world things move a lot faster. But there is no foreseeable end for America's power, let alone it as a country.

Rome fell because they overstretched themselves, they fell into decadence and their economy could not sustain themselves

It fell for a ton of reasons, you didn't even mention things like the Germanic tribes invading.

The Us has overstretched themselves, they have soldiers deployed all over the world.

Do you know why ancient empires had trouble with large empires? Mostly communication. It would take months to send a proper message in a large empire from one side to the other. In modern times, I can send a message to China in seconds. It would be near impossible to overstretch ourselves.

They average person has become a slave to tv, video games, and all the luxuries of life

Oh no! How horrible of this falling nation, ENJOYING THEMSELVES! How dare they! Enjoying yourselves is definitely a good sign that the nation will fall.

Also of course the US economy

Oh yeah, that economy witch still dwarves pretty much everyone else on earth?

Also of course the US economy. It is at an extremely low point and unless something drastic happens it will not recover to be sustainable levels.

Apparently someone does not know how capitalism works.

The economy rises and falls, in a pattern. If you look at the pattern, it goes up and down. We have recessions then a great amount of wealth, then back down again. It is like a roller coaster. We have the Roaring 20s, then go into a great depression. We get out of the depression stronger then ever, then go back into a recession. It is quite fun, actually.

Posted Jun 26, '12 at 10:43pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

244 posts

First of all. I am proud to live in America.

America though, is in rough shape. Big corporations, big politics--This is all politicians care about: Money. Money Money Money Money Money.

The don't care about us, the middle class. The UNIMPORTANT. Wanna see how bad of shape we are all in?

http://usdebtclock.org/

This is sad. Kids in the future will end up paying all the debt our country has accumulated. Personally, I really dislike Pres. Obama. He makes bad decisions, and big money for it. Come on, really? We don't even have money!
I am glad that Mccain guy didn't go in office either.

If I became Pres. for one day, the first thing that I would do would be-------WOW. That is funny. Right as I am writing this, my house just got a phone call from a politician's assistant guy asking us to take a survey about our "political state".------ Now where was I? Okay, alright. Here I go again. If I became Pres. for one day, the first thing that I would do would be to stop imports from China. China's plan is to bankrupt America, glorious America, and then bankrupt our American companies. Then they will jack up all their prices for food and EVERYTHING.
The banks are not helping either. They (take JPMorgan, for instance) are not doing so hot, and Obama calls them "too big to fail".

Too big to fail video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWqrPqDZRCM

And Romney-a bad choice as well. I think Government-Federal Government is too big. Have the people (us) overthrow them, and take back our rightful country from all those politicians, and bankers. And the "Federal Reserve":

First of all, it is not helping us. They jack all of us up.

Well, I think this is a pretty big comment (almost like an article now) and hands are hurting.

That is my idea, in a nutshell.
-Mickeyryn

Posted Jun 27, '12 at 7:38pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Since it is not like we changed the history of the world. Or did anything impressive, like...I don't know, put a man on the moon? Or advance technology at all...

The creation of the US was, of course, a result of the American Revolution in the late 1700's. Frankly, revolutions were unheard of back then. During the rush to gather as many colonies as mother countries could, they oppressed their newly found lands and forced them to follow the ordinances they did. After the American revolution's news spread, Haiti, India, Canada, Central America, and many other countries that were once colonies got the idea to do what the US did and tried to become independent. Not all were successful as the US's attempt, however. Haiti received independence but were left with a huge casualty list and millions in debt. India tried for independence several times, each resulting in widespread disasters, until Gandhi rose up and won them what they wanted. Central America had also tried several times to be rid of Spain and France, only to be oppressed again and again, until they got lucky and got what they wanted.

This is called a Domino Effect within revolutions.

If I became Pres. for one day, the first thing that I would do would be-------WOW. That is funny. Right as I am writing this, my house just got a phone call from a politician's assistant guy asking us to take a survey about our "political state".------ Now where was I? Okay, alright. Here I go again. If I became Pres. for one day, the first thing that I would do would be to stop imports from China. China's plan is to bankrupt America, glorious America, and then bankrupt our American companies. Then they will jack up all their prices for food and EVERYTHING.

You know very little about America's dependence on China. Look at your computer, your iPod, your phone, hell, even look at your bed frame and it will probably say "Made in China." I'm not sure on the actual percent, I believe around 70% of the household goods that are imported to America are exported from China. Cutting trade off with China would do nothing but worsen the economy, because goods would be limited by the companies that would make them because there wouldn't be enough to go around. What would be available would be extremely costly.

Oh yeah, that economy witch still dwarves pretty much everyone else on earth?

As I pointed out before, the US economy is no way in comparison to the shape it was in in the 1930's era and The Dust Bowl. But even then it wasn't in "dramatic shape."

The Us has overstretched themselves, they have soldiers deployed all over the world. They have fallen into decadence. They average person has become a slave to tv, video games, and all the luxuries of life.

Those soldiers are doing a fine job with dealing with America's many enemies. This is a time where one must ask themselves, "What's more important? My security or the price of my toilet paper?" As far as our standard of living goes, it's wonderful. Besides, what does living in pleasure have to do with our economy? Buying those goodies will only help us.

Oh, I'm sorry Salvidian and so should you. Me and everybody else don't need you criticizing our posts!

Welcome to the WEPR. I'm not trying to criticize you as an individual; I am merely sharing my point.

Posted Jun 29, '12 at 2:38pm

macfan1

macfan1

436 posts

What is your opinion on the overall state of the U.S.

The state of America... like Romney says, it's becoming like europe. It's sad.

You know very little about America's dependence on China. Look at your computer, your iPod, your phone, hell, even look at your bed frame and it will probably say "Made in China." I'm not sure on the actual percent, I believe around 70% of the household goods that are imported to America are exported from China. Cutting trade off with China would do nothing but worsen the economy, because goods would be limited by the companies that would make them because there wouldn't be enough to go around. What would be available would be extremely costly.

It's terrible that we rely so much on our enemy. We need to manufacture our own goods, but how can we do that if it's so hard to run a business especially in California.

The reason I said "enemy" is-

Remember the Korean war? We were fighting China. The Korean war didn't end, it just has a peace treaty. So really we are still fighting.

Posted Jun 30, '12 at 7:23pm

xeden

xeden

214 posts

The United States is a young country. And its had a better start than most countries Ive read about in books.

Posted Jun 30, '12 at 8:37pm

toemas

toemas

314 posts

i think our government is corrupted and don't want people to have true "freedom" look at the laws they tried to pass on america SOPA PIPA ACTA NDAA and others.  they are basically like rome.  too much money on the military and our government is losing money themselves and cant keep up with the people and public services.

true, true except for the military part. all military that i have met love the USA and are not corrupt.

I'm sorry but it's not we, it's the rich criminals who are abusing the country who are responsible for this mess, not us.
Maybe it's time to elect real people instead of corrupted weasels.
That's just my opinion.

when he says we he mean our country, i dont think its the rich "evil" people thats the problem its the corrupt politicians that are the problem

Posted Jun 30, '12 at 9:04pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

The United States is a young country. And its had a better start than most countries Ive read about in books

yea always in war, never had alot of time in peace.
it's more like israel then any other.

Reply to What is your opinion on the overall state of the U.S.

You must be logged in to post a reply!