1. Click the arrow at the bottom of the screen to go deeper into the forest, and pick up the branch on the ground. From here, going ahead will take you to a quote from the story, and going backwards will take you back to the first scene.
2. Go back to where you were, and advance to the door with the combination lock. Solve it. If you need help, getting the answer wrong five times will reveal a fourth hint. If you still need help, it is 432. Using the cursor, click to the left and right of each number to change the numbers, and press Check when you are done. Upon solving the riddle, you can go into the tower.
3. In the tower, pick up the rope on the ground, next to the book. The books will give you quotes from the original The Outsider short story by H.P. Lovecraft.
4. Go in the room to the right. Pick up the hatchet, and go back to the main room of the tower.
5. Now go in the room directly ahead of you. Select the stick from your inventory, and then the plank on top of the right bookcase. You'll knock it down, adding it to your inventory. There's another book in this room (actually, there are tons of them, but the one you want is on the floor).
6. Go back to the main tower room. Click on the newly acquired plank in your inventory, then click on the gap in the stairs to bridge it. Now you can go up. Do so until you hit a closed trapdoor.
7. Click on the stick in your inventory, and then the hatchet, also in your inventory. This will make the stick sharper. Now select the stick, and then the trapdoor, using the stick as a temporary key to unlock it. Go up.
8. Now you're in a room with four boxes. First, click on the brick lying against the step near the middle of the screen. Click on the rightmost box to get a box of matches. Click on the second box from the left to reveal another book.
9. Go back to the dark storeroom (the room you got the hatchet from) and use the matches to light the candle, illuminating the room. The skeleton is holding a key in his hand, and there is a book on the shelf.
10. Take the key and go to the top of the tower. Use it on the door in the room with the four boxes.
11. In the graveyard just afterward, grab the shovel, then trek back to the forest.
12. In the first scene, you may have remembered something sticking out of the ground. Use the shovel to dig up the other rope. Now combine the two ropes, and then combine the long rope with the brick.
13. Trek back to the graveyard, and use your new rope and brick device to scale the graveyard gate.
14. After the graveyard, you will come upon a castle. Click the castle to finish the game.