100 posts
Shepherd

Please debate here.

• 213 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The Constitution can be brought in, but since when has that stopped people? Public opinion might go against it but has that ever stopped politicians?

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Because First Amendment arguments could also be made against banning abortion. For example, it is permitted in Jewish law.
And First Amendment arguments could be made for banning abortion. For example, it is not permitted in Catholic Canon. But that is with religion, and religion is supposed to be separate from state.
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

The Constitution can be brought in, but since when has that stopped people? Public opinion might go against it but has that ever stopped politicians?

That is why we as a people need to vote in people who support the constitution....
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I disagree. Sticking solely unto a piece of legislation, no matter how excellent, without stoping to consider whether it is ill-fitting in contemporary times smacks of narrow mindedness.

Uysername
Uysername
72 posts
Nomad

Two thirds of both houses, three fourths of all states.

Familiar with that?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

No just 2/3 of the House. Where have you plucked the 3/4 magic figure from eh?

Also, remember that not all democrats are pro abortion; we have seen bills getting passed due to cross Bench support. Also, with the evangelical vote rising since the early 2000s it is an issue.

Familiar with that?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

And in any case, the 3/4 is to amend the Constitution, you might not even need to change it to pass pro life bills.

Uysername
Uysername
72 posts
Nomad

Umm, yes. You DO need to amend the constitution to pass pro life bills, since Roe vs Wade is a constitutional argument.

And the evangelical vote has not been rising as fast as you think.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Actually no, historically abortion related bills didn't all have to be accompanied by a Constitution change. In the Roe vs Wade case, To reach its result, the Court necessarily has had to find within the scope of the Fourteenth Amendment a right that was apparently completely unknown to the drafters of the Amendment. As early as 1821, the first state law dealing directly with abortion was enacted by the Connecticut Legislature. By the time of the adoption of the Fourteenth Amendment in 1868, there were at least 36 laws enacted by state or territorial legislatures limiting abortion. While many States have amended or updated their laws, 21 of the laws on the books in 1868 remain in effect today.

The evangelical vote is getting stronger. When Bush asked Ariel Sharon to pull his tanks out of Jenin in 2002, he received 100,000 angry emails from Christian fundamentalists, and never mentioned the matter again. Just this year, Santorum gave Romney a real run for his money due to strong evangelical backing.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

I am totally against Obama (For personal reasons we shall not get into) and then when I saw how much campaigning Romney was doing and how hard he was working I liked him that much more. Plus I have seen some things with Obama that have given him a negative view for me.

shlongmaster
shlongmaster
3 posts
Nomad

You have to go with Romney, Obama has made or economy worse than before he was elected. We need good change not Obama's Change.
nobama_logo.png&w=326&h=260&ei=EXMxUPaFHIKc8QS3j4HoCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=119&sig=115505048658739089105&amp<i class=age=1&tbnh=133&tbnw=167&start=0&ndsp=57&ved=1t:429,r:45,s:0,i:294&tx=68&ty=43" alt="http://www.google.com/imgres?q=nobama&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=912&tbm=isch&tbnid=HyClSsPkxSG9rM:&imgrefurl=http://demobrats.wordpress.com/tag/politics/&docid=-HirnfMRSqXrUM&imgurl=http://demobrats.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/nobama_logo.png&w=326&h=260&ei=EXMxUPaFHIKc8QS3j4HoCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=119&sig=115505048658739089105&ampage=1&tbnh=133&tbnw=167&start=0&ndsp=57&ved=1t:429,r:45,s:0,i:294&tx=68&ty=43" />

shlongmaster
shlongmaster
3 posts
Nomad

Why didn't it show a image

Loopeh
Loopeh
5 posts
Nomad

Obama is who I'm voting for.

Rommney I believe will put us in greater debt, and not look out for the lower and lower-middle class.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Why didn't it show a image

because it's a stupid pics?

could be. but you probably failed to link.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

You have to go with Romney, Obama has made or economy worse than before he was elected. We need good change not Obama's Change.

last I checked, the Dow was way above what it was when obama first became elected. I'm going to have to take that comment of yours with a grain of salt.

-Blade
Showing 61-75 of 213