ForumsWEPRquestion

27 7269
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

okay,well Killersup was just wondering why people will quickly go from being your friend to hating you because of your religion.Killersup has lost 3 christen "friends" because they found out he was of a different religion.Killersup never said anything rude to them to make them feel that way.One of the examples of what happened was when Killersup was texting one of his "friends" and he asked Killersup what his religion was out of the blue and when Killersup answered the "friend".He then said that Killersup should never talk to him again.So, why is it that people feel that religion should separate a friendship?Does this happen to other people?

• 27 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It all depends doesn't it? How important one values religion and more importantly how that religion has been taught. I have an aunt that abandoned her siblings because they weren't Christians, yet I have friends from almost all major religions.

Anyway, if you're going to ditch your friend for just religion; at least 1) You know your own true friends, and 2) The friend is a nutter, because as far as I know, most modern teachings religions or indeed all, don't call for religious strife or segregation, but that everyone should try to get along all together.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

he asked Killersup what his religion was out of the blue and when Killersup answered the "friend".He then said that Killersup should never talk to him again.

1st ask him what happend to "Love Thy Neighbor"
2nd he is not realy your friend. if he was your friend then he would atleast try to convince you to his religion and not just say you 2 have to split.
3rd this "friend" of your is ignorand. and most likely unwilling to listen to reason. you can better seek some other friends then to stick to this nutjob.

good luck.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It's not only religion, it has been shown that we are very prone to build groups whose people we treat better than the 'others'. And it doesn't matter what criterium is used, may it be religion, politics, football teams etc. It was useful when it was an advantage to be in groups or tribes, but nowadays it requires self-reflection to overcome this. It is easy, but many people don't bother treating others as 'others' based on sometimes even completely stupid criteria.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

With people who go from being religious to being atheist this is quite common. Just about every story I've heard usually includes the loss of a few "friends". I think it has to do with that clique mentality.

Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

Me and my friends don't give a crap about who is what religion. We hang out, talk about stuff, rag on one another and have each others back if someone screws with one of us. Your former friend is obviously, as Nicho put it "a nutter". I hear a lot of stories about losing friends because of religion but I've never run into it myself. I guess I'm just extremely lucky and found some real friends.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i met so many christians on the internet that think that if your not christian (espacially if your atheist) your some kind of anti-christian.

he is probably stupid enough to think that you are controlled by the devil and sent to take away his faith. some people can be so paranoid.

and in my opinion any person who can abandone his friend/family member once they find out something about WHAT they are isnt worthy being accepted by anyone

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

The friend is a nutter

Pretty much.

In some countries, your religion tells everything about you, even if it doesn't. Exempli Gratia in Indonesia, they don't treat you as human if you don't have a religion. For them, it's like not having a mother or father. One thing, it depends from where they grow up.

In the other hand, if you come from a country where religion isn't as influential as the case given, and people still abandon you because you don't have a religion or you are not of the same religious background, I saw $crew 'em. Let them believe their dogma, let them be brainwashed by their parents. Those people are best avoided
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

For them, it's like not having a mother or father.

That isn't a reason to treat anyone as less than someone else either though.

One thing, it depends from where they grow up

I get the whole "that's how they were raised" argument, but, that's just an excuse. Anyone should be able to think for themselves, and "not being taught how to think for yourself" or "being raised in such an environment" is like saying "I wasn't taught how to walk" and so you crawl everywhere...even though you can, in fact, walk.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

That isn't a reason to treat anyone as less than someone else either though.

I don't mean they treat you as if you have no mother or father currently, but they treat you as if you weren't born a human being, just magically came to earth and became what you are.

Anyone should be able to think for themselves, and "not being taught how to think for yourself" or "being raised in such an environment"

They should be able, but don't. Das ist the problem here
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I don't mean they treat you as if you have no mother or father currently, but they treat you as if you weren't born a human being, just magically came to earth and became what you are.

Even if things randomly popped into existence, that wouldn't mean that they deserve to be abused, ignored, excluded, or anything of the sort.

How does how one came to be affect in any way how one should be treated?
Pegasus16
Pegasus16
48 posts
Nomad

This has never happened to me, im always nice to people of other religions, if im mean to other peeps then what does that say about my religion

gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

Yah, I'm a christian and I hang out with people who aren't all the time. That guy is just a jerk.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

wow,lots of answers that can help Killersup to understand why this happened.Its kinda sad how people can come and go over something like religion now-a-days.Guess theres not alot that Killersup can do about it.

It doesn't really help either that about 90% of the people Killersup knows are christans.........

he is probably stupid enough to think that you are controlled by the devil and sent to take away his faith. some people can be so paranoid.

YES! exactly! he thinks that Killersup is a spawn of the devil and that Killersup is going to spend eternity in hell for not being christan!
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

YES! exactly! he thinks that Killersup is a spawn of the devil and that Killersup is going to spend eternity in hell for not being christan!

Meh. If you don't want to be friends with them, you could always fight fire with fire and call them brainwashed sycophants who have no backbone to decide for themselves and believe in a magic man in the sky who supposedly loves people but has killed millions and required his own son to die in a bloody, unnecessary sacrifice.
gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

Well, being part of a religion is not what sends you to heaven for a christian, It's believing that Jesus came to earth to save us from sin. But if he thinks that Being part fo his christian religion is what saves you, then he's wrong. But just to ask- Are you sure it was because of your religions, or was there something else that he dislikes about you?

Showing 1-15 of 27