ForumsWEPRReligion and Grammar!

21 9633
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I may be generalizing here, but I've noticed not only on this site, but on many other sites (like Facebook, Tumblr etc.) that a lot of religious people, at least on religious posts or threads or images have excruciatingly bad grammar. I know how to read l337 and all that, but on some facebook pictures about liking it for Jesus or whatever, the comments are agonizing to read. Surely I can't be the only one noticing this

• 21 Replies
samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

In my experience, especially on this site, a lot of theists are younger and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that's why they tend to have poor grammar. Non-religious folks, on the other hand, tend to be older which could contribute to their better grammar.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

This is what they call confirmation bias. You went out looking for/remembered religious people with bad grammar/spelling and found some. You don't remember all the people you meet who don't stand out.

IF you really want to go down this path, you'd need to do a random sampling of let's say...at least 2000 profiles of religious people on facebook/tumblr and then see how many of those use correct spelling and grammar vs incorrect spelling and grammar.

Going off of previous knowledge though, you may be correct. There is an inverse relationship between education and religion, where the more educated someone is the more likely they are to not be religious. Since more educated people are more likely to use correct spelling and grammar, you could have a point in certain demographics that religious people do, in fact, correlate.

Even so, correlation does not equal causation.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Found this article in a quick google search, I haven't checked their sources but meh, it has a good explanation.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Okay, that's not really fair to some people. My grammar was rather correct even before I became an atheist. If anything, religion has very little to do with it. It's probably age and upbringing that factors into this the most.

-Blade

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Okay, that's not really fair to some people. My grammar was rather correct even before I became an atheist. If anything, religion has very little to do with it. It's probably age and upbringing that factors into this the most.

I have to agree. While I try to at least put some effort into it I tend to think of my grammar as poor. My ability to spell has nothing to do with me being an atheist.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

You went out looking for/remembered religious people with bad grammar/spelling and found some.

Actually, a lot of my Ãber religious friends also have horrible grammar. English I can understand, I haven't learn the language until I was 15. But they even get the simplest words from their Mother tongue, which is written the way it's said wrong. There's literally no rules in the Serbian language, other than Writing it down the same as you say it.

IF you really want to go down this path, you'd need to do a random sampling of let's say...at least 2000 profiles of religious people on facebook/tumblr and then see how many of those use correct spelling and grammar vs incorrect spelling and grammar.

Now I haven't checked 2000, but I've seen about 3 or 4 pictures with around 300-400 comments each. Out of those 400 comments, there's hardly a single comment with proper grammar, or spelling I guess. Yeah, can someone explain the difference between spelling and grammar? Maybe that's what I got mixed up.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Yeah, can someone explain the difference between spelling and grammar? Maybe that's what I got mixed up.

Spelling is having the right amount and order of letters in each word.

Tihs is a gramtically correct setense whit improperr spelling.

This be a one grammatically incorrect with spelling good.

fasljfljkasl <--- Gibberish
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Not even going to try the muddy waters of this thread, but many of the Mega Churches I come from have an extremely high turn-over rate, which results in their congregation being permanently made of new faces below the age of 25, presumably because those getting further in their work life realise that paying tithes of 10% of income ''for God'' was a ridiculous idea both dogmatically and realistically, and hence quit.

Maybe that explains something about linguistics, but I don't know. Up for contention.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

a lot of theists are younger and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that's why they tend to have poor grammar.

However some, like macfan1 -- a regular poster I'd imagined should've picked up by now. I'm 15 myself and due to the years I've been on this site I realized (quite quickly) that the best points are made coupled with best presentation (well, usually).

I can't say it takes much to notice that if you want to look good and do well on this site, you're best off with functional English.

which is written the way it's said

The word for that is 'honetically', for next time you might bring that up ^^

There's literally no rules in the Serbian language, other than Writing it down the same as you say it.

What?
Okay, guess I'm learning that instead of Chinese -- the variations of Mandarin and the tonal accentuation (or what is it called?) is far more difficult ahaha

But yes, I do find it bad, sensanaty, that a lot of people don't have firm spelling on even the simplest of words in the language they grew up with. I think the only reason(s) I've got my spellings down is because I lurked around Armor Games' forums at the age of 9, and joined when I was 12. Credit is also given to video games -- I remember reading subtitles from the age of 6 (Age of Empires II, in particular) and seeing how it all worked out. Interesting, to say the least.

Although, I can't see how it correlates much with religion -- not directly, in any case.

I just saw Kasic's comment and he nailed what I wanted to say, so I'm not going to say it ^^

Non-religious folks, on the other hand, tend to be older which could contribute to their better grammar.

There are exceptions -- for both theists and atheists. I'm not entirely sure of what you can call ChillzMaster however he can be quite grandiloquent for the humour that comes with it, but with pretty much perfect grammar and spelling. He has a large vocabulary as well, especially at the age of 16 so, I'd have to say he's the largest 'exception' of the "Young / Theist seems to have poorer grammar / spelling, and Elder / Atheist seems to have better grammar / spelling". Compared to his spelling, that is.

Maybe that explains something about linguistics,

Isn't linguistics about languages?
Nevermind, I just checked and yes it is (note to a lot of people: often times you won't need to make a thread with a question unless it's asking for an opinion - think about Googling the thing first )
That may contribute to the overall idea that younger people have generally worse communication skills, but I don't know either. I'd say it has some part in it but doesn't possibly represent a majority in theism (not even Christianity itself I'd say).

- H
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Isn't linguistics about languages?
Nevermind, I just checked and yes it is (note to a lot of people: often times you won't need to make a thread with a question unless it's asking for an opinion - think about Googling the thing first )

Yes language, i.e because the OP asked about grammar.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Oh I know what you meant I admit it took me a while to catch on about what you meant by languages but my respnose after the writing you quoted was intended to be directly to what you said

However I decided to use my confusion in an attempt to make another, off-topic point of simply doing a Google Search if you don't know something that someone has mentioned (it can save you and them time )

- H

Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

Does it just apply to Christians or other religions as well? Maybe, there's lead in the communion wafers?

Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

First of all, why are you judging based off grammar? I think that is a bit silly; it seems that you deem them incompetent. Which would also seem that you would deem them lower.

In my book that is folly. People aren't 'lower or higher' in value because of capability of whatever, intelligence, or ability etc. However they happen to be displayed at the time.
But all that is an assumption based of what you said and might have implied, I apologize if that is inaccurate towards your true nature.

From earlier posts, it seems you just randomly associated religion with grammar. I think that was a unnecessary transference that took place in order to understand a discrepancy in the knowledge you gained from the way you learned English.

-aside from that

English I can understand, I haven't learn the language until I was 15. But they even get the simplest words from their Mother tongue, which is written the way it's said wrong. There's literally no rules in the Serbian language, other than Writing it down the same as you say it.

From this I think I get what you are coming from. In learning new languages one of the first things that is (usually) taught, is grammar. Because grammar can, and needs to, be understood from within the framework of both languages aside from the actual words themselves.. So people who learn English learn grammar in a more complete form than many natural speakers would have, or would have even worried about learning. And with a more driving need to use it to be understood, than a natural speaker would. A natural speaker usually assumes he/she will be understood just by speaking, without worrying, about grammar and wording at all times. Like you might have done in the beginning, and assumed others would too. << if speaking the same language.

A person that assumes that people speaking another language will understand him in his language.. (aka stereotypical American tourist) Needs to learn a bit more about communication.

Now on facebook?... Why are you even using that site as a reference? To me, I don't really consider it necessary at all to even greatly consider grammar when using facebook. And I see that my Spainish speaking facebook gaming* friends don't either. Since it seems they use slang and, well, google translate can't translate that worth poop! hahaha I don't mind

*Friends I added because of facebook games, not because I know them

I'm fairly certain my post is not completely grammatically correct lol. But you do understand it, don't you? No one can legitimately portray ignorance on that one, if they know English written, then they can understand this post. Just like you, sensanaty, can understand the posts on those comments. .. Usually xD

Also people tend to type to facebook and other easy to comment on websites from phones, texting has horrible grammar functions most people don't even bother with. A lot of people don't bother using grammar unless they are making a point, as well. etc etc, basically people use it when they feel they need it. Which, like I sated earlier, can be different for natural speakers.

Not everyone makes those assumptions; or does it that way natural speaker or not, I know lols. I think this post explains why you 'noticed it' though.
And the confirmation bias thing too.. Maybe. not the other stuff, far to general to be realistic.

um Tl/dr version

I don't think this point is relevant. I think you are generalizing and making an inaccurate assessment towards a lot of people.

Because of this: It seems you just randomly associated religion with grammar. I think that was a unnecessary transference that took place in order to understand a discrepancy in the knowledge you gained from the way you learned English.

#$37 I just wrote an essay. WAT
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

From earlier posts, it seems you just randomly associated religion with grammar. I think that was a unnecessary transference that took place in order to understand a discrepancy in the knowledge you gained from the way you learned English.

Read OP's article before accusation.
Noobclone
Noobclone
127 posts
Peasant

Read OP's article before accusation.

I did. Read my full article.

I think it is randomly, just because they are religions does not in any-way mean that they automatically would or would not utilize good grammar. His friends may not have good grammar, and may be religious, but that does not inherently mean that all or many religious people are the same.
The above statement is pure logic.

Anywho thanks for that post I forgot something:
quote]. Because grammar can, and needs to, be understood from within the framework of both languages aside from the actual words themselves.. [/quote]
This is relation to when a person translate languages from their natural language to English. (the only reference language I have to base off of)

I know the people who posted in this thread would probably know that, but just to be through on that.. (I thought about it, but forgot to include it, arg!)

And yes it is possible to learn to speak and write it naturally-ish and have very good grammar/spelling. Or at least adequate (w/e that is to the beholder). Sure that happens all the time.. (I didn't say it can't happen just because I didn't say it could. But I said it could anyway disclaimer ftw.)
Showing 1-15 of 21