ForumsArt, Music, and WritingProject Paint Brush

32 15111
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Ignore the way the title is spelled. I'm persnickety about words and totally cribbing the content of this post from one of my earlier threads. Project Paint Brush is a discussion thread hosted by Gantic (and sponsored by the nonexistent GantiCorp.) This will be a discussion about the AMW and Amwians as a whole. This includes anything and everything AMW. I am hoping to get some productive discussion about ideas and learn about perspectives.

Discussion will be on various topics and may changed weekly, biweekly, however long a discussion needs. This will mostly (or most likely) be about ideas and perspectives.

Now the important bit: You are tasked with painting a picture of the above poster and/or any previous poster, but you can only use one color. What color do you chose?

Please keep posts relevant. Posts should be relevant to the current discussion or a previous discussion.

Responses should be constructive. While we'd all like to be frank, there is a line between tactful and blunt. Keep in mind that not everyone is of the same disposition or age.

Also keep in mind that we're all amateurs (unless there are a few professionals among us). Nevertheless, each opinion carries the same weight regardless of whether you disagree or not or how much you admire or despise someone. Please consider how something applies to you and not blindly accept or reject advice or opinion. An opinion is never a fact even if everyone thinks the same thing.

If you have any ideas for future discussions, leave a comment on my profile. Meanwhile, consider, discuss, learn!

• 32 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

O, sorry man. I thought you had pinned me as blue. I looked at the above color.

So I am blue, red, brown, orange, and green. Wow.

I have my own meme. I am famous.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Time for some self-reflexion along the same line. Previous questions are still open.

Q.2 You are in the wilderness. What are you painting?

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

You are in the wilderness. What are you painting?

Wilderness. Cause I cannot paint/draw unless I am looking at something. So probably a river.
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Q.2 You are in the wilderness. What are you painting?

Buildings/skyscrapers. Because frankly, I am obsessed with architecture. I just love drawings of buildings.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Let's see.
For the first half an hour I would try to draw this:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/2-4.jpg
The wilderness. Well, as wild as it comes in DK. I need the practice, so I would try hard to get it right and stuff.
Then, after that half an hour, I would be entirely out of patience (and self respect, and self esteem...) so I would probably kick a rock and go home, or alternately, kick a rock and draw the usual crap that ends up in my sketch book:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/1-6.jpg
Yes, that is an actual page from my sketch book, no, it doesn't get better than that, nor was it draw to illustrate anything for this discussion, as much as selected because it was the least offensive of the sketches.

So, as introspective as it might be, I would try to improve, fail and then draw some stupid sketches of various kinds.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I'd see what I can get out of a sunrise over snow and try to capture that moment before it is fully day time. I like the openness without all of the vegetation somewhere between almost featureless ocean and forest. A lake or pond would do well also. Sunrise because it's my favorite time of day.

I need the practice, so I would try hard to get it right and stuff.

What do you mean "get it right"?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

What do you mean "get it right"?

My ability to draw realism is... stunted at best. So, I would do my best to draw what I am seeing, and not what I would rather be drawing, since reality is hard to duplicate.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Depending on what's in front of me, I'd try to replicate the Alice in Wonderland wilderness. Such as if there's a tree to my right, flowers below, and pond to my left, I'd try to replace those with AiW features. Probably add in some of the characters as well, like Cheshire and Absolem.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Not self-reflexion. Back to your perception of others.

Q.3 You are eating ice cream in the passenger seat of a car moving at near light speed. The driver is a previous poster reading a book while the car. There is a dog painting pictures of a previous poster in the backseat. You turn on the radio and hear a previous poster. What genre is the book? What is the style of painting? What is genre of music?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Incredible question. Pretty unique.

Gantic
Genre of book: I see a Shakespearean romantic novel, such as Romeo & Juliet. You have always seemed like the dramatic type that tried to make every word count.

Style of painting: The painting would be on a highly gesso oil canvas. This creates a calming look. The painting would be of a schoolhouse on a grassy prairie, most likely around the year 1850. This is reflected by your, what I assume, insatiable lust for knowledge. It is also reflected by your calming nature.

Genre of music: Classical. By now you must undoubtedly think I consider you a history-buff, which a twist of imagination thrown in. If so, then you are correct!

Daleks
Genre of book: I see an adventure story, with a sappy ending where the hero kills the bad guy and gets the girl. In you, I see a conservative person that never strays away from what is expected of him. However, I don't think you realize you do this; it is so subliminal you don't even realize you're doing it right now.

Style of painting: A basic portrait with the cross-hatching markmaking technique. It creates a bold, yet defined look. Again, you seem to be fairly conservative, yet you try to be different.

Genre of music: Rock music. Mainly popular, new bands, simply because you're trying to go with the flow. There's probably some pop, rap, and country thrown in, but it's still mainly rock music because you're a male teenager.

Santi_
Genre of book: A mystery novel, but with horrific traits; much like a Stephen King book. I probably think this because of your enigmatic personality. Much like daleks, you don't try to be this way. It is merely your way.

Style of painting: Very, very dark, with some extremely vibrant colors in spots. Again, this is due to your enigmatic personality, but at times you seem to be very vibrant and personable.

Genre of music: Jazz, because you seem to be a very cool person, with a nice sway. A lot of percussion because it has such a wide range of sounds; you seem to have a capability for a wide range of feeling.

Cenere
Genre of book: A highly accredited, old, tossed out informational handbook. By no means am I calling you outdated, but at one time you were extremely popular, but it seems as though the newer people aren't aware of who you are. In society this could reflect off of children. You are pretty wise in the workings of the site, but are combined with strong sarcasm for being, well, old. :P

Style of painting: An old portrait of a turn-of-the-century man, hung in a museum in another country. Your stories are rumored, but many people only know you for these rumors, or in this case, this one portrait. Portraits can only display the emotion the person was feeling at the time.

Genre of music: I haven't the slightest idea. A bit of everything, I suppose, as you probably like to experience everything offered to you.

murasaki9
Genre of book: A Romanticism poetry book. Need I say more? I mean, you are the definition of the girly-girl. Your into poetry, love God, and are a pink unicorn.

Style of painting: An oil canvas of a fantastical castle of yesteryear. This is reflected by your typical personality of love, poetry, and medieval times. The oil canvas is hinted by your mystery to me.

Genre of music: Pop. You seem to go with the flow most often. Not much else to say. :/

GhostOfMatrix
Genre of book: A autobiography of a respected person. Being written by yourself, you may have tried to get what you really mean out to the public in your own words. Often looked at as the sole business man, you wanted to show that you are more.

Style of painting: Another portrait, painted by your closest friend, to get the public to know you better. Possibly painted during a presidential race, or some other major competitive event.

Genre of music: Couldn't say. You probably wouldn't really have any liking of music, other than quiet works that you can use to reflected upon yourself.

jeol
Genre of book: An action book mainly to keep your sporadic personality in check, because you are pretty hyper- or at least seem hyper- a lot of the time. Action seems to be right up your alley, because it looks like you enjoy video games.

Style of painting: A wide range of colors, dark and bright, are needed to explain exactly what you're feeling. Your thoughts are probably pretty deep, and complex. The painting itself would be of a far-away land you conjured up in you own mind, with fantastical creatures and impossible story lines.

Genre of music: Electronic and fast, mainly to keep up with your darting thoughts and racing mind. Sometimes slower music is necessary to calm your nerves down, but you most likely don't feel it as necessitous.

Freakenstein
Genre of book: A comedic parody of modern-day full of satirical jokes at famous people'es expense. A lot would have to be known in order to understand what the book is trying to say, and "shallow" people wouldn't understand it.

Style of painting: Really, a faded picture of a kid criticizing his parents. Not necessarily thinking he is better than them, but merely for correcting their stupidity, but in such a medium where he forgets who he is.

Genre of music: I couldn't say. Sorry. Everything, if I had to make a guess.

goumas13
Genre of book: A happy-go-lucky story about an ancient warrior defeating a monstrous demon, while conquering his own fears along the way. Much like Homer's Odysseus. I guess I see this because of you poetic talent and your Minotaur Armatar, which I have never seen you change.

Style of painting: An old, mysterious painting of a ceremony. Similar to the Egyptian's heirogryphical (Spelling?) work, it shows things that no one can understand but himself. He is the last of his kind.

Genre of music: Tasteless in the eyes of many, your genre of music is something you only like, and you chose it to be this way because you wanted it to be your own, which is reflecting of your personality, which, as I see, is somewhat controlling, but only controlling in what you want. You do what you want.

Phew!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

@Sal(don't read if going to review me)
Got me pretty much right for the book. Happy endings are good. But sometimes I like a good story that leaves you with a question at the end.

Drawing. Ya. I like simple.

Music, I like everything. Country is my favorite.

Now to do Cen:
Book: a story of a man that flies to California and kills all the admins so he can leave happy.
Musiceath Metal, listens to it has he kills all the admins
Painting:Baroque(probably spelled wrong), shows man killing game developers.

Well that was fun.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Let's see.
First of all, I would be unamused sitting in a car driven by someone reading at the same time, even if they had bribed me with ice cream. At least, the near light speed would mean a car crash would kill us and probably everyone else as well, so it isn't that bad.
Too bad the wonderdog will die in the crash as well, since it apparently is able to paint.
In all this, the fact that the radio isn't doing something weird is just weird in itself...

Salvidian:
Genre, genre, genre. I would say Sci-fi for no particular reason besides your enjoyment of fractals. And science fiction can be amusing when well written and not being entire cyberpunk. If an author in particular, then it would be Michael Crichton and small deviations from reality, well, reality as far as we are aware.
As for painting, I was never particularly interested in styles for obvious reasons. Mainly that some blob of colour can earn the artist more than what I will ever earn in my life. But personal bias aside... Pointillism. Small dots that make up a big image. Yes.
And the music? Punk-rock. Something noisy, but not metal noisy.

Jeol, who I really can't pinpoint, so it will be from first impressions:
Book: Historical fiction. Possibly historical fiction of the more supernatural kind, like Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.
Painting: Impressionism.
Music: Blend between classic music, beatboxing and computer-mixed tunes.

Daleks:
First though for a book genre was not a book genre but just a book - The Never-ending Story. Though I wouldn't put your genre as fantasy, but rather as some kind of fictional augmented reality. Also, choose-your-own-adventure books.
And for a painting, you have now been given Expressionism, not only because I feel like it, but al the sense of not being a painting of what is seen, but what is felt seems somehow fitting. Even if the feeling is a dark blob of violence, or a bright pink peace-dalek.
As for the music, it is probably not any of what I have in my own collection. Rock? Classic rock? I have no idea.

Gantic, because it's Gantic:
I agree somewhat with Salvidian. Because either it's Shakespeare, or it's Dr Seuss and a book on puns. And if it isn't classical, it's some of the weird stuff I listen to, and I don't think my mind could handle that. I do think the style of the dog's painting of you would be surreal, however, simply by your pun-bun characteristics. Not to mention it could be a good description of many of your entries for the ASC. Either that, or hyperrealism.

--

You are pretty wise in the workings of the site, but are combined with strong sarcasm for being, well, old. :P

Or bitter. I really think the staff ought to read the book on Usability. They might learn something.

@Daleks: So violent. Not that I mind much. Though, if I went to California to do anything to the staff, it would most likely be hitting them with my LARP axe, and then tell them to level up in proper website design.

And while I would comment on the suggested genres and styles, I better wait till the next topic so I don't affect other's ideas.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Bring this back for Question 4.

Q.4 You wish to paint a picture using red, green, blue, yellow, orange, purple, brown, black, and white. However, paints, pigments, dye, an other colored substances no longer exist and colors no longer have names. Luckily, you have a magic paint brush that can take on the color essence of anything you can see. What are the names of the colors you are using? You are free to name other colors as well.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Blurple
Gred
Breen
Brack
Grellow
Grange
Rorange
Rown