ForumsWEPRYour thoughts on Mitt at the NAACP Convention.

7 4492
ethan3300
ethan3300
100 posts
Shepherd

Supposedly he was being racist by not tell the people in the Audience what they wanted to hear, however I think what he said was appropriate and is what would have had to have been said. What are your thoughts on him getting booed ?

• 7 Replies
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

I think he got exactly the reaction he wanted. Mitt Romney is going to talk about this event in the presidential debates if Obama talks about pandering to voters.

98% of black voters voted for Obama in 2008, so, for Mitt Romney, it'd be foolish to think he's gonna get any black votes. Mitt Romney is no fool, so there is obviously a different motive for Romney to go there.

My prediction is that he's going to talk to spanish speaker voters as well about his plans. He is going to talk to every minority about his plans. He's going to use the fact that he even was "brave" enough to be straightforward to these minority voters about his plans rather than pandering to them, like he believes Obama did.

The reason he was booed is because he used the term Obamacare instead of Affordable Care Act. It was the wording that screwed him, but, like I said before, he's gonna use the booing as fodder for his campaign. He's an idiot either way.

Also, I want to address the reason why he wants to repeal Obamacare. He believes that federal government should not be in charge of healthcare, but rather the states. He wants healthcare to be left to the states and not the federal government.

Pieguyme
Pieguyme
1,010 posts
Farmer

He was amazing this is who we need to take control of America.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

98% of black voters voted for Obama in 2008, so, for Mitt Romney, it'd be foolish to think he's gonna get any black votes. Mitt Romney is no fool, so there is obviously a different motive for Romney to go there.

That's a pretty big generalization. Are you saying black people voted for Obama simply because he was black himself? People aren't THAT stupid. They aren't going to vote for a man simply because he's different than the normal, and he's the same as his voters. If you're saying that they're voting for Obama for some other reason, I'd like to hear what reason.

My prediction is that he's going to talk to spanish speaker voters as well about his plans. He is going to talk to every minority about his plans. He's going to use the fact that he even was "brave" enough to be straightforward to these minority voters about his plans rather than pandering to them, like he believes Obama did.

I'm confused. Is he trying to win the minorities, or be straightforward with them and say "get out of America"? Oh, and note that not all Spanish speaking people are minorities. I speak fairly fluent Spanish and I'm of Russian, Irish, and Germanic descent. My ancestors came here 200 years ago.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

That's a pretty big generalization. Are you saying black people voted for Obama simply because he was black himself? People aren't THAT stupid. They aren't going to vote for a man simply because he's different than the normal, and he's the same as his voters. If you're saying that they're voting for Obama for some other reason, I'd like to hear what reason.

Did anywhere in his post imply such a thing? Please do not be a 314d1. It's not 98% but pretty dang close. It's a recorded statistic, not an implication. Look at McCain. His voter turn out was 55% Caucasian. So it'd be like my saying white people voted for McCain because he was white--It does not make a lick of sense, unless you're thinking stereotypically.
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

It was a no-win situation. He was going to get few African American votes anyway. Moreover, if Romney had chosen NOT to speak at the NAACP gathering, the Democrats would have called him a coward, so he went there trying to make the best of a bad situation by trying to gain support from other demographic groups.
Mitt Romney was trying to prove that he is not a flip-flopper like a lot of people think he is, he was trying to earn much-needed credibility. You know, like: "I'm not afraid to express unpopular ideas, I'm going to repeat my opinions anywhere, even when it's guaranteed to turn the audience against me".
As a matter of fact, he gave the same speech to a crowd at a fundraiser in Hamilton, Montana, albeit with different results.

It was a pretty good plan, but it did not exactly succeed, most of the undecided voters are still more likely to vote for Obama than Romney.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

For anyone who might not have heard Romney's speech. Getting booed comes in about 11 minutes in.

Watch Mitt Romney's Full Speech at NAACP National Convention

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Well, the booing occurred because he wants to abolish Obamacare, which forces us to buy corporate protection against our will.

Showing 1-7 of 7