ForumsWEPRwhats the difference?

183 43653
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

so,just about everybody has ruled out the possiblity of their being spcific Gods for a element.Such as the greek Gods,what is the difference however between believing in "mythology" and say for instance a Christan religion.Why is it more beliveable?Does anybody have a answer to why it is more believed that their is one God and not many? Why do people who believe in a God not realize that they are believing in the same thing that they also call rubbish?

• 183 Replies
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Because it is against the laws of science.

Really? What laws, exactly?

Have you read greek mythology, They destroyed the world with a flood not long after pandora letting evil free. ((sarcasm) greek gods never punished the whole world. (/sarcasm))

....What? The stupid in your post is impossible to read. Are you trying to say that the Greeks did not genocide the world like your god did? Or are you messing around with the world sarcasm?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

There was no flood after Pandora opened the jar. The opening itself was punishment enough. Please dot conflate Christian mythology and Greek mythology.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Greek mythology describes three floods, the flood of Ogyges, the flood of Deucalion, and the flood of Dardanus. Two of these ended two of the Ages of Man: the Ogygian Deluge ended the Silver Age, and the flood of Deucalion ended the First Bronze Age (Heroic age). In addition to these floods, Greek mythology says the world was also periodically destroyed by fire. See Phaëton.
From here The Greek did destroy the earth with floods, the one i referred to was the flood of Deucalion, and after that the new human race was made from stones, not clay like the first humans, and thus were more resistant to the bite of the insects from pandora's box. Something tells me you have never read greek mythology.

Really? What laws, exactly?
Ever heard of the first and second laws of thermodynamics, or entropy?

think of it like this, if the big bang was natural, then it must of happened an infinite number of times (big bang, universe expanding, universe collasping, big bang, universe expanding,...) and if that were true, every time it would of lost a small amount of energy, (through entropy) and eventually, (by now), all the energy would be used up and the universe would've experienced the heat death of the universe.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

think of it like this, if the big bang was natural, then it must of happened an infinite number of times (big bang, universe expanding, universe collasping, big bang, universe expanding,...)

While that has been a proposed possibility that isn't necessarily the case. We could simply have pre-big bang conditions with the post big bang conditions just another change in state.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

But the universe would still of been around for forever and the energy would still of been used up.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

But the universe would still of been around for forever and the energy would still of been used up.

what "energy" are you talking about.
in the universe "energy" doesn't work as it does on earth.
on earth there is allot of "energy" going to waste because of friction.
the universe does have that problem. "energy" can go everywhere.

"energy" is a very lose term. it is used for allot different things.

anyway here is my own philosophy:
the black holes in the universe are sucking in allot of the universe.
eventually over time the black holes have eaten the whole universe and all the energy is stored in the last remaining black hole. who has nothing left to suck. so it eats itself. making it implode and BIG BANG!!! all the energy is released again. and starting the cycle over again.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Not in the state that it would be in. In such a state time as we know it wouldn't apply. It's even possible that other natural cycles are going on and our universe is but one branch in that cycle. (talking about the multiverse hypothesis)

At any rate I hate to say it but it seems we have strayed off topic again.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Sorry, thats my fault, I fealt the need to reply to 314d1, and then to both him and nichodemus's poorly informed arguments about greek mythology.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

No I havent read Greek Mythology in the past half a dozen years. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't caused by Pandora's actions as you implied.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Off topic but:

Creationist arguments are often based on assuming that a scientific theory or law possesses an attribute that it does not, in fact, possess. The creationist thermodynamics argument is a typical example of how this technique is used to twist well established scientific principles into meaningless gibberish.

Eg:

Creationists: The second law of thermodynamics requires that all systems and individual parts of systems have a tendency to go from order to disorder. The second law will not permit order to spontaneously arise from disorder. To do so would violate the universal tendency of matter to decay or disintegrate.

In actuality: The degree of thermodynamic disorder is measured by an entity called "entropy." There is a mathematical correlation between entropy increase and an increase in disorder. The overall entropy of an isolated system can never decrease. However, the entropy of some parts of the system can spontaneously decrease at the expense of an even greater increase of other parts of the system. When heat flows spontaneously from a hot part of a system to a colder part of the system, the entropy of the hot area spontaneously decreases. Entropy can never decrease; this is in direct conflict with the most fundamental law of thermodynamics that entropy equals heat flow divided by absolute temperature.

Also no, the law doesn't state that if something happened before it must have happened an "infinite" number of times before. Nor does it state that a system even loses energy overall.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

From here The Greek did destroy the earth with floods, the one i referred to was the flood of Deucalion, and after that the new human race was made from stones, not clay like the first humans, and thus were more resistant to the bite of the insects from pandora's box. Something tells me you have never read greek mythology.

1. The whole point of this thread is that Christianity is extremely similar to the Greek myths.
2. The whole point of me mentioning Pandora was to compare it to Eve
3. You just added to it by adding the flood.

So...Once again, who's side are you on?

Ever heard of the first and second laws of thermodynamics, or entropy?

Yeah. Extremely simplified, it is basically the movement of heat, correct?

think of it like this, if the big bang was natural, then it must of happened an infinite number of times (big bang, universe expanding, universe collasping, big bang, universe expanding,...) and if that were true, every time it would of lost a small amount of energy, (through entropy) and eventually, (by now), all the energy would be used up and the universe would've experienced the heat death of the universe.

You don't know how entropy works, do you? The energy DOES NOT magically vanish. It just moves, after all energy can not be created or destroyed. Entropy basically just means that a machine will give off heat, thus can not use all of the energy efficiently. Now I am grasping for a metaphor... And can't find one. So that explanation will have to do.

Sorry, thats my fault, I fealt the need to reply to 314d1, and then to both him and nichodemus's poorly informed arguments about greek mythology.

By informing us that Christianity is even more similar then I had first thought. Thanks.
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

oh. i finally found this. i just posted a basic summary of this whole question/dispute in the "Christians+Evolution"

i dont want to type it again so read it there if you want.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

oh. i finally found this. i just posted a basic summary of this whole question/dispute in the "Christians+Evolution"

i dont want to type it again so read it there if you want.

Because copying and pasting is hard.
idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. I cant copy/paste on my ipod easily, so you'll either stil have to go there till morning when i can get to a computer.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Nichodemus, you just said your self, entropy always increases, and since the universe must of been around for forever, (unless you are a theist), then entropy would of increased to the point where nothing can possibly happen.

also.

Greek mythology is known today primarily from Greek literature and representations on visual media dating from the Geometric period from c. 900â"800 BC onward
source

The book of Judges took place "between c. 1380 [B.C.E.] and the rise of Saul, c. 1050."

but most scholars place its origins, or at least its final form, in the 6th century BCE
source for this

Don't say that Jews/Christians borrowed from the Greeks, when the Bible was written earlier.
Showing 151-165 of 183