ForumsWEPRIs transsexualism a disorder?

20 12518
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

The text-revised fourth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR) classifies what is essentially transsexualism as gender identity disorder (GID). The tenth edition of the International Classification of Diseases does as well. Do you agree that there is such a thing as gender identity disorder or even gender dysphoria?

• 20 Replies
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Depends on how you view the word disorder. Most people would get up in arms because the word "disorder" is seen so negatively. Here is a wiki of it. If it is away from the norm, and a there can be a mental issue traced to it, then yes, it is a disorder.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Transsexualism? You man Hermaphrodite right?

If so, I don't think so. I would think of it as a odd gift. And generally a disorder would mean your body would not function properly, if you have a extra body part why should it matter and why would it be a disorder? Let that person decide which sex he/she would want to be. It is only natural.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

And generally a disorder would mean your body would not function properly, if you have a extra body part why should it matter and why would it be a disorder?

Well, getting technical, if you think that you are the wrong gender, your body, or mind at least, isn't functioning the way it is supposed to by nature's design. And some people get so freaked out over feeling this way, I wouldn't call it a gift, per se...
Quun
Quun
2 posts
Nomad

Transsexualism is not a disorder. GID is a disorder, but not transsexualism itself.

Transsexualism? You man Hermaphrodite right?

That is not transsexualism. The two things are very different.

My personal definition for transsexualismm is basically the same as being transgender (identifying with a gender that is not the one assigned at birth) but with intent to have surgery or hormones.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

im really not sure. i myself could never understand the mind of transexuals (just to make sure. transexuals are those who feel they are one gender trapped in the body of another right?).

but hey i dont see a problem with it. we also have to understand the word "gender" for this situation. as far as we know they might actually be right and then its not a mental disorder but more of a physical one. also, since we can actually take care of the problem with surgery im not sure the problem itself can be called a mental disorder.

is there another mental disorder that can be "cured" by doing surgery on your body?

oh yeah, homosexuality, which isnt a mental disorder at all. this is way to complicated for me to understand so i dont think its that important. they take care of that problem, it doesnt cause others any problem, so all there is left is just to accept it.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I would say that one could be transsexual and experience gender identity disorder, but being transsexual isn't having GID.

Transsexual is a person whose assigned sex at birth conflicts with their psychological gender.

Gender identity disorder is the formal diagnosis used by psychologists and physicians to describe persons who experience significant gender dysphoria (discontent with the sex they were assigned at birth and/or the gender roles associated with that sex). It describes the symptoms related to transsexualism, as well as less severe manifestations of gender dysphoria. Symptoms of GID include:
-Expressed desire to be the opposite sex (including passing oneself off as the opposite sex and calling oneself by an opposite sex name).
-Disgust with their own genitals (Boys may pretend not to have a penis. Girls may fear growing breasts and menstruating and may refuse to sit when urinating. They also may bind their breasts to make them less noticeable.)
-Belief that they will grow up to become the opposite sex.
-Rejection by their peer groups.
-Dressing and behaving in a manner typical of the opposite sex (for example, a female wearing boy's underwear).
-Withdrawal from social interaction and activity.
-Feelings of isolation, depression, and anxiety.

Adults with gender identity disorder often display the following symptoms:
-Desire to live as a person of the opposite sex.
-Desire to be rid of their own genitals.
-Dressing and behaving in a manner typical of the opposite sex.
-Withdrawal from social interaction and activity.
-Feelings of isolation, depression, and anxiety.

(information from wiki and webmd)

It would seem a key difference is the experiencing of dysphoria. Transsexualism would seem to only cover a single symptom of Gender Identity Disorder.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

If it is away from the norm, and there can be a mental issue traced to it, then yes, it is a disorder.

How would you define "norm" and "mental issue?" If by "norm," you mean what is typical (like from a quantitative standpoint), there are some behaviors deviate from the norm that aren't unanimously considered disorders. (Paraphilias, for instance. And a slight tangent: homosexuality was once considered a paraphilia.) If you mean what society considers typical, well, mainstream thought is not necessarily right. As for "mental issue," do you mean if there's some genetic basis to it? Or perhaps something along those lines?

Well, getting technical, if you think that you are the wrong gender, your body, or mind at least, isn't functioning the way it is supposed to by nature's design.

While homosexuality has been documented in non-human animals, the minds of homosexuals also wouldn't be functioning by nature's design. Would you consider homosexuality a disorder? I mean, we are attracted to the opposite sex to procreate and continue our species, right?

Transsexualism is not a disorder. GID is a disorder, but not transsexualism itself.

Can you explain how you would distinguish one from the other?
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

@MageGrayWolf

Ah, I made that post before yours appeared. Thank you for the clarification.

I guess the real question should be: Should gender dysphoria be classified as its own disorder? (It seems that the DSM will replace GID with gender dysphoria in its next edition.)

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

the DSM-IV-TR claimed homosexuality was a disorder. I'm waiting until the fifth text revision, but either way it is a load of ****.

the entire medical industry is ****.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

for me it is, because it's not a normal thing... gay, lesbian and bi are normal, because it's in-borned or a metter of decision...

not good enough. and honestly is a horibble explanation. first of all, gay, lesbian and bi arent a matter of decision, they are born that way period.

second, i really cant see what the big idea is. im not sure how a person can feel he is the other gender because it really doesnt really matter.

is it because he/she feels girly/boyish? there are girly guys and tomboys who dont want to be the other gender. or maybe its because they physically dont feel comfortable with their body? in that case id understand.

i dont think that this is more of a disorder then a girl who decides to make her breasts larger. she can pretty much say that she is a big breasted girl stuck in a small breasted body no? the only difference is that its a more extreme change...
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

the DSM-IV-TR claimed homosexuality was a disorder. I'm waiting until the fifth text revision, but either way it is a load of ****.

That was debunked and removed in 1973. A visage of it was left until removed 1986.
DionRainsmith
DionRainsmith
13 posts
Nomad

Allow me to clarify-

GID is a real disorder, but Transsexualism itself isn't.

GID is when you suffer psychological trauma and become obsessed with changing your physical gender because your brain thinks it's one gender, but your body is the other gender. I have a couple friends who suffer from this, and since they can't just magic away the trauma and stress that comes from the mind VS body disparity, so they have to change their physical gender to fit their mental gender to calm down and 'correct' the disorder. They just can't help it.

However, Transsexuality itself is the choice to become the other gender, and can happen with or without GID. I've also met others that don't suffer GID, and is fine with their current gender, but still would prefer to be the other gender, so if they can, they'll switch or at least just dress and act the part.

For those who compare Homosexuality to it- Homosexuality isn't a disorder or disease, merely a "mode" in our genes that determine what we see as "love". Not lust, but love. Most of the time, it's born with, but some people do actively choose to swing the other way as well.

By the way, it's not just bonobos- over 200 different species of animals actively express homosexual affection. Not just 'domination' or lust as Christians keep trying to claim it is, but actual affection, loving couples. In fact, the animal with the highest homosexual ratio would be the Giraffes. You know how Christians love to use sheep and lambs to symbolize themselves (what with blindly following the herd)? Funny thing- sheep also practice homosexuality a lot, and sheepherders even gripe about this, because the rams would often ignore the breeding female in exchange for loving each others.

Love has priority over lust and sex. Sounds about right. Anyone agree?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Even if it is, so what?

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

first of all, gay, lesbian and bi arent a matter of decision, they are born that way period.

I strongly disagree
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

No, I think it is a complete and total choice of the person. I don't even think it truly changes your gender, it just makes it look like it. Sure it could come from a disposition, but it still comes down to a choice.

Showing 1-15 of 20