91 posts
Shepherd

what does it mean for a computer to crash

• 12 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

A computer crashes when it stops working. There are multiple forms of error messages that can occur when a computer crashes, where the best known form is the Blue Screen of Death, which looks like this:

http://***************.com/_ybpq5zhL-RU/TAH7wh9am_I/AAAAAAAAAH0/MMJ53RIKxTc/s1600/blue_screen_of_death.gif

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

The image failed, so I will try a different one:

http://www.mv.com/ipusers/ullr/BSOD.gif

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

It's something that is never good. The computer stops working basically. There are many different ways for it to crash.

Picture a car. The car is driving down the street. It's "running" properly. Something happens. Then the car "crashes". Now the car has stopped working. It happens on a variety of reasons and a lot of different problems can come from this. Sometimes, it also needs to be fixed.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

i remember seeing the blue screen of death on our old windows 95 computer.

superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

thats been happening a lot with me lately

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

This is what Wiki says, with which I agree:

A crash (or system crash) in computing is a condition where a computer or a program, either an application or part of the operating system, ceases to function properly, often exiting after encountering errors. Often the offending program may appear to freeze or hang until a crash reporting service documents details of the crash. If the program is a critical part of the operating system kernel, the entire computer may crash. This is different from a hang or freeze where the application or OS continues to run without obvious response to input.

@Patrick2011

That image is inaccurate. The Blue Screen of Death never had the ability to be a smart-***.

----

BSoD for more recent Windows OS'es.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/Windows_XP_Blue_Screen_of_Death_%28PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA%29.svg/500px-Windows_XP_Blue_Screen_of_Death_%28PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA%29.svg.png

wakyswag
wakyswag
181 posts
Nomad

Computer "crashing" can be caused by many things, i crashed my Windows XP laptop just from putting in a flash drive, closing it, and taking out the flash drive well it was closed. I then tryed to put it back in causing the computer to crash.

The "car" anology works best though

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

I get the blue screen of death like once in a month. The only bad thing it seems to do is restarting my computer. Or is that something that's not the blue screen of death?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Picture a car. The car is driving down the street. It's "running" properly. Something happens. Then the car "crashes". Now the car has stopped working. It happens on a variety of reasons and a lot of different problems can come from this. Sometimes, it also needs to be fixed.

Wait, if the car physically crashed wouldn't that be a hardware problem? Or is your wording just a bit too ambiguous for my liking? What would be the car's hardware and software?
Fs97
Fs97
93 posts
Nomad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szb3aFD1d2Y

As you can see, the computer crashes onto the floor.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Crashing more like an error that the computer can't gracefully handle thus a critical error that causes explosive diarrhea everywhere and instead of trying to clean it up it just gets you a new room. More specifically the kernel which controls all the hardware operations flags that room and kicks you out so you don't get infected with something nasty.

I get the blue screen of death like once in a month.

That's probably not good. I would recommend a fresh wipe and install.

As you can see, the computer crashes onto the floor.

That's nice but it looks like the potato camera will probably crash soon to because of the shoddlyy wrote recording drivers.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Three years ago, I shut my computer down like I do every night, got up the next day, turned it on, the HP screen flashed up (just like it had done for the past eight years), the Windows XP screen popped up, then the screen went black, and it never turned on again.

That's how a computer crashes, when you least expect it, and when you least need it to crash.

Showing 1-12 of 12