ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Competition: Fire and Water (page 56)

565 233325
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition.

As always, there are a few rules that needs to be followed for proper judging, viewing and general fairness.

Competition Rules
- All major parts of the entry must be original material, unless otherwise stated. Heavy references, sources and other visible influences should be credited as per normal forum courtesy.
- Submissions must follow the current theme to be judged, and must be drawn for that theme specifically. You cannot submit something you drew prior to the theme being announced
- Please do not post entries larger than 670 pixels in width. If your art is larger, post a thumbnail and link to the larger version.
- Artists cannot win in subsequent rounds, but are allowed to enter said rounds.
- Entries can be drawn in any medium available.

• 565 Replies
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

@Chrome: It is a nice looking piece of art, and a fine concept for the theme. The drawing is a little static and inconsistent, but it does have a fairy tale feel to it.

Hey! Thanks mate! I know its a bit sketchy and stuff... (Did it in within 2 hours and handed in before the extended deadline...) But thanks, Cen.

BTW... When is the judging going to take place? I am itching for the next theme...

(By the way can you delete the post above? I accidentally forgot to close the qoute...)
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

But, hah, now you can't use Slenderman for any upcoming horror themes!
Killersup had another thing in mind anyway,somthing much more sinister.Somthing with much more upfront horror then the mind horror that slenderman bring to the table.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Sorry this took so long guys. You know, life. If you want to comment on how I did, just hit me up on my profile.

Last theme: Fairy tale

4 entries! Not bad, not bad at all. Yes, some of you are probably thinking, âHey, there were 5 entries! Daleks cannot count.â While the latter is sometimes true, it is not the case today. I am not counting Zombieman's drawing because it is just memes, and I donât think he made it.
Anyway, the Winner is:
gaboloth

The picture is well done I can tell, slightly ruined by the scanner quality which sucks. It fits the theme nicely, having the classic guy gets girl in the background. It also has a lot of mystery to it, because of the elf guy. Did the elf want the girl? Did he help them get together? It could go either way. The drawing is great, especially the trees which look really realistic. The reflection of the elf in the pond is not my favorite and I believe could have been a little better. Other then that, I think it was very well done. Good job gaboloth!

Follow Ups:
ChromeDeathRazor
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Joe_Png/b83b3498.jpg
Mixing sci-fi with fantasy was great. The guy is obviously the focus of the picture because of the use of darker lines. The fairies are well done, but you cannot tell their emotions. Try working on small faces and putting some detail in there. The mushrooms look slightly out of place, like they donât belong. I believe it is the size of them and maybe the fact they donât have shadows. Still a great drawing that fit the theme well.
kegaumongo
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q550/kegaumongo/Intent2reduit2.jpg
How would that be out of theme? Anyway it is a nice drawing. It is funny how a fairy is reading âHuman Talesâ. It was just a bit too simple for me. I felt as though you could have added a bit more to the background or maybe thrown in some color to make it more interesting. I hope you do keep on drawing for the competition though.
killersup
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg551/killersup10/slender.png
Like kegaumongoâs I think it is a little simple. There really is no background, and the tree just makes it look awkward. Also I donât understand why to the side of the tree it is darker then to the left of the tree. The drawing of SlenderMan is good, even though I donât know much about him. Try working on the background next time and it will be a lot better.

Next Topic: Collage

That's right! Just make a collage of whatever you want. If you don't know what a collage is just Google it.

Due: Sunday 23

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Everyone is welcome to try, but, as with 3d art, don't count on me being completely unbiased when judging.

Don't worry Cen. I would have done the same thing.
Would not have allowed the rage comic

Haha, I probably would not have allowed it even if he had sourced it. I could make that in 10 seconds. Plus it wasn't his. I swear I have seen it before.
And I disagree that the themes need to be more specific.

So is my theme OK? You can change it if you really hate it.

And just so you know Cen, I didn't see your post before posting mine. So anything we said similar is just awesome people thinking alike.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Also I donât understand why to the side of the tree it is darker then to the left of the tree. The drawing of SlenderMan is good, even though I donât know much about him. Try working on the background next time and it will be a lot better.

watch a few documentaries on him,then you will know why the picture looked so strange.Slenderman sends people insane with his tricks,thus making the person looking at the picture think that they are not seeing it correctly.Meaning that slender is near,and he has chosen you for his next game.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Well if he plays tricks then you could have made the image blurry. Or added somethings that looked like they could be there but shouldn't.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Or added somethings that looked like they could be there but shouldn't.

it was a sudden burst of imagination,Killersup made it in like 15 minutes.Now,the project he worked on today took about a hour....and is MUCH better designed.
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Erm... Just askin'... How many characters do you think is enough for a collage?

I was planing to draw a group of characters and wonder how much i should put in there.

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Wait... Collage... does this mean we have to cut and paste stuff?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

So is my theme OK? You can change it if you really hate it.

I have no idea how to judge something, where it isn't the concept that comes from one source, but the medium and presentation that has to be the same.
I also would have no idea how to enter this round, which tends to be my final decision making factor in choosing a theme.

So, well.
No idea. I guess it's up to people to figure something out.

Note: Would have been nice with a link back to the last judging, like I do. Then people can see the former judgings, without having to deal with looking through a number of pages.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

does this mean we have to cut and paste stuff?

No, you can draw stuff to make a collage.
I was planing to draw a group of characters and wonder how much i should put in there.

As many as you want. Collages tend to not have much negative space, at least in my mind. So it is up to you.
I have no idea how to judge something, where it isn't the concept that comes from one source, but the medium and presentation that has to be the same.
I also would have no idea how to enter this round, which tends to be my final decision making factor in choosing a theme.

I feel like I failed you Cen.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Nah, stuff happens, I am sure I will wing it has good or bad as anyone entering this round.
Who said the judge shouldn't be challenged as well?

The link would have been nice, though.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

If you are going to be alternative and use a programme where you are not actually creating the majority of what is on the picture (that is, using a custom brush you downloaded to draw stuff, or use rage faces or something), you really need something extraordinary and awesome to not get shrugged at an ignored from my side.

I guess it does matter what the judge sees as extraordinary. I remain unimpressed from seeing most art despite the fact that 99% of the time it's better than anything I could ever create, but a RCT2 creation, if it's better than anything I've ever made, never fails to impress me.

Nonetheless, RCT2 art probably does not fit in this contest anyway because most people who aren't avid players of the game could care less about the in-game creations of others. Which is why it needs a contest of its own, except I'd probably be the only participant, and that wouldn't work too well seeing as I'd also be the judge.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Does this qualify?
http://images.photovisi.com/8eecf112-8ada-46f5-8eab-381515340ab9wallpaper.jpg

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

@thepunisher93

No offense... but your submission is basically 9 images slapped together and anyone could do it...

What i suggest is you could cut those pictures up using the cut tool and make an artwork of it.

Showing 106-120 of 565